EVO Double Throwdown Moby!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up Moby Dick from Off Road Evolution where he had been getting a set of front Double Throwdowns installed. Check it out!!

406568_10150531827743971_56405988970_8599465_2086838614_n.jpg

398603_10150531827848971_56405988970_8599466_243598172_n.jpg

408794_10150531827948971_56405988970_8599467_790135618_n.jpg

Got rear upgrades on order and will be getting them in soon too :cool:

Congrats! You and Moby deserve it. Waiting for King to get the custom shocks done was the hardest part for Vince...

Moochie

Did you make a run out to the desert to try them out? :bleh:

Attachments

• 559195_3894722858198_445598784_n.jpg
    559195_3894722858198_445598784_n.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1

nacho

sex, pure sex. so how does the bumpstop work?

Attachments

• 20180622_180344.jpg
    20180622_180344.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180622_180709.jpg
    20180622_180709.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 5

GCM 2

Sweet!

Now its time to start going really fast through the bumps!! Congrats on the upgrade brother :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now its time to start going really fast through the bumps!! Congrats on the upgrade brother :rock:

well, that's the plan. we needed something to be able to keep up with mel :crazyeyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1

dkjk

So is the double throw down setup for pre-runner type wheelin? Also, if you are looking for someone to donate Moby's old setup to, I'm your man! ;)

Hopin to get out to Moab in 2013!

wayoflife said:
well, that's the plan. we needed something to be able to keep up with mel :crazyeyes:

That DTD is pretty amazing, so I say look out Mel! We were out at JV recently and Vince was doing over 60 though some whoops that my Jeep was maybe doing 15 to 20 in.

GCM 2

Speed is awesome!

That DTD is pretty amazing, so I say look out Mel! We were out at JV recently and Vince was doing over 60 though some whoops that my Jeep was maybe doing 15 to 20 in.

Last summer while wheeling in "The Cinders" in Flagstaff, AZ (imagine a beach of lava pebbles on the side of a mountain), the handful of rigs on EVO mfg DTD's were easily carrying speeds of 50-60mph over the smooth, round 1-2 foot deep whoops, the rest of the jeeps playing did not even bother because their suspension just could not handle it. I will always have the memory of blowing passing "the man, the legend" Mel Wade in my JK while he was idling thru the bumps in his red JK on the EVO Enforcer Package. In my mirror I saw his middle finger waving at me and a huge smile on his face, then over the CB his voice saying, "you suck".

image.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So nice! In one pic it looks like the front EVO sway bar link is bent. Is that just the picture or is it supposed to be like that?

GCM 2

Not bent

So nice! In one pic it looks like the front EVO sway bar link is bent. Is that just the picture or is it supposed to be like that?

The EVO links all have a slight, intentional curve designed into them. It keeps the link away from the coils during the suspension's traveling cycle.

Attachments

• 20190607_162435[383].jpg
    20190607_162435[383].jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

2012jkfng702

Fricken awsome.... Wish I could afford the EVO stuff, I think my initial build up for my 2012 looks a lot how Moby was originally built up. I'm doing the Full Traction 6 inch lift with Rancho rs 9000x pro series.. How did Moby work with the Full Traction 3" and did you have the RS 9000x's on that lift?? Already have my shocks Rims, and Tires, Just waiting on the Lift to get finished...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
GCM 2 said:
The EVO links all have a slight, intentional curve designed into them. It keeps the link away from the coils during the suspension's traveling cycle.

That makes sense, thanks. Those links look super beefy so I would have been surprised to hear it was bent through trail rash.

nacho

so the extra bypass shock acts like a bump stop right? how is it adjusted? what is the noticeable difference so far? I believe you said you went from 14" to 12" system, cant wait for a trail report. Still haven't completely made up my mind on the direction I am going with my new setup hence all the questions.

GCM 2

so the extra bypass shock acts like a bump stop right? how is it adjusted? what is the noticeable difference so far? I believe you said you went from 14" to 12" system, cant wait for a trail report. Still haven't completely made up my mind on the direction I am going with my new setup hence all the questions.

Because the particular King by-pass shocks used in the EVO spec'd set-ups they are "three tube" or "three stage" shocks, but could be four, five or even six tube. On each shock there are individual tubes with an allen screw and locking nuts that are used to adjust (depending on which tube you select) the compression or dampening of the shock at different velocities of shock travel/movement, which typically correspond with the vehicles speed. Using the last stage of the shock, in this case the third stage, you adjust the compression in the third tube to absorb the last bit of travel without bottoming out and without rebounding hard (read that as "throwing") the axle back into position. It's kind of a "poor mans" bump stop, it's how my suspension is set up but the King bump stops are on my short list of mods too.

Eddie or anyone, feel free to give a sanity check on my description please.

Thought I would throw in some more offroad bling. Here is a picture of a set of King four stage by-pass shocks and King coilovers, same principle as the three stage. Notice these are "Piggy Back Reservoirs" too. The reservoirs are attached to the shock and not a remote reservoir which is mounted remotely to the frame and joined by a heavy duty hose back to the shock body.

30Kings.jpg

Last edited:

nacho

that is kind of what I figured, that the compression of the last stage was just "tuned" up to absorb the last inch or 2 of travel at a rate greater than can be absorbed under all but the hardest hits

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
GCM 2 is spot on and, it's the reason why we removed our front air bumps as they just aren't needed anymore. :yup:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Good info. The money I'd invest in a set of king air bumps and the evo mounts will help go towards the dtd instead of the standard evo coilover system.

Top Bottom