Don't let people drive your jeep!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
So last night I let a friend drive my jeep while we were out on the dirt. And with all of the rain we had it was pretty muddy so I tell him keep your momentum while on the mud cause we will get stuck and I guess he thought I meant floor it and he steps on the gas and ends up driving through a deep ditch and is still gunning it. I know it's my fault regardless so now of course my alignment is way off but I also have some grinding noise in the front driver side mostly when I brake and turn right. Does anyone have any suggestions of what it might be?
Also my abs traction control is coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I didn't have time today to take the wheel off and check things but there's definitely something wrong. My steering wheel is way off center , I have no wobbling or shacking while driving. It's driving fine other then what I mentioned and everything seems to be straight as far as I could see under the jeep.

jeeeep

Hooked
when you straighten the steering wheel, which tire is not pointing straight?

I'd take the wheels off and check the hubs/u-joints

Hobolobo

I didn't have time today to take the wheel off and check things but there's definitely something wrong. My steering wheel is way off center , I have no wobbling or shacking while driving. It's driving fine other then what I mentioned and everything seems to be straight as far as I could see under the jeep.

Start by re centering your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. It only takes a few mins and is only 2 bolts. Then check everything else (wheel speed sensors) when you have more time.

BLCK4X4

Sounds like the driver side front axle hun assembly/ sensor is out.

Had the same thing happen to me before, does it sound like metal crinkling ??

WJCO

Meme King
Check for bent backing plate. Also check that a bunch of crap didn't get caught between the rotor and backing plate.

jesse3638

Hooked
You can look at the tire to see if the camber is off. If that's the case it could be a bent C if you hit hard enough. I'd clean everything out real will and as mentioned check for a broken wheel sensor. Again if you hit hard enough may be a bent tie rod causing your steering wheel to be off centered. The steering wheel being that far off will cause the ABS to trigger as it thinks you are in a slide. If your tie rod is bent you can use a press to straighten it or adjust it so your toe is correct. Then straighten your steering wheel with the drag link collar. If you need a hand PM me and I can come over and try to help.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
You can look at the tire to see if the camber is off. If that's the case it could be a bent C if you hit hard enough. I'd clean everything out real will and as mentioned check for a broken wheel sensor. Again if you hit hard enough may be a bent tie rod causing your steering wheel to be off centered. The steering wheel being that far off will cause the ABS to trigger as it thinks you are in a slide. If your tie rod is bent you can use a press to straighten it or adjust it so your toe is correct. Then straighten your steering wheel with the drag link collar. If you need a hand PM me and I can come over and try to help.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok I'll try all of that and see what I come up with and thanks if I do need help I'll send you a pm. Thx

Benito

Caught the Bug
That' would really suck I just got a wheel bearing for my wife's car that I have to replace I don't want To do 2 [emoji31]

It's pretty easy to change the unit bearing on a JK if you have all the tools, and they are only $100ea if not less. Like every one else has said your tierod and/or your draglink probably bent, that's why your steering wheel is not centered any more, which can cause your traction control and abs to come on as the Jeep thinks it needs to be turning and have different speeds on the front wheels. The grinding noise may just be debris between the dust shield and rotors but it would hurt to check for play/damage to the unit bearings which also house the speed sensors. Best case scenario you just have to straighten out your tierod and draglink, clean everything and get an alignment.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
It's pretty easy to change the unit bearing on a JK if you have all the tools, and they are only $100ea if not less. Like every one else has said your tierod and/or your draglink probably bent, that's why your steering wheel is not centered any more, which can cause your traction control and abs to come on as the Jeep thinks it needs to be turning and have different speeds on the front wheels. The grinding noise may just be debris between the dust shield and rotors but it would hurt to check for play/damage to the unit bearings which also house the speed sensors. Best case scenario you just have to straighten out your tierod and draglink, clean everything and get an alignment.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for but. This week is pretty busy so I had to park the jee and will have to wait for the weekend . Luckily I get free alignments for 2 more years on my jeep. So I'll take the tire off check for any damage and debris clean it all up then take it to get an alignment and will see from there.

Top Bottom