New crush sleeve and reshiming for rear driveshaft swap?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just saw a video on YouTube from Yukon gear and axle, apparently they have a new line of driveshaft but when I looked at the video, they started talking about putting in a new crush sleeve, verify pinion shims and re shim as needed and it threw me off, I could understand a new pinion nut, but a crush sleeve and shims? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Technically anytime you undo the pinion nut you should check and adjust preload but in reality 99% of the time you can get away with just counting the turns or torquing the nut.

JKbrick

Just saw a video on YouTube from Yukon gear and axle, apparently they have a new line of driveshaft but when I looked at the video, they started talking about putting in a new crush sleeve, verify pinion shims and re shim as needed and it threw me off, I could understand a new pinion nut, but a crush sleeve and shims? Am I missing something?

Check your rotational torque first then you can take the nut off and put it back on to the same torque. Some places tell you 160 ft pd but honestly I wouldn't go by that
IMG_6408.JPG
This is what you need, I found mine on eBay for $100

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If you are putting a new yoke on, it's not a bad idea to put a new crush sleeve in while you are there. Not sure why the shims would be needed as they go inside the diff housing near the gear head (unless they're some other kind of shim). Since you're getting a new crush sleeve with it, use it, no reason not to. And I assume the company will provide the rotational torque specs (pinion bearing preload) that it needs to be set with.

Top Bottom