This is a circle jerk of your own biases

propped1

Hello all. New to the page but been around the hobby for a bit. Profile is filled out if you have questions.

What do you think about this:

I was thinking about locking the front, but don't know that I need to, and when a locker is installed and it isnt locked, its open. Been hearing more and more about the Detroit Trutrac. I have done a ton of research on this, and here are my options I've narrowed down to. What else should I consider?

Current setup - 35" Pitbull Rockers with 17" Slabs (120lbs, sticky). Stock D30. 2.5" RK. Not going taller or bigger tire for the foreseeable. If I did, I might get a MC 3.5 coil set but that would require a rear driveshaft.

Options:

Front 30
Cheapest - Keep my 30, truss (EVO), Detroit Trutrac 27 spline, 4.88, 27 spline chromoly axles (Carbon). New Timken bearings, new axle seals. Reuse Knuckles/Brakes.
Parts list is about $1800 before installation.

Front 44
What I'd like to do - Currie 44 bare housing with cover, 30 spline Detroit Trutrac, 30 Spline chromoly, 4.88, 30 Spline Chromoly (Carbon), bearing and seals, but would get new Synergy BJs.
Parts list is about $3500 before installation

Rear 44
Ox 30 spline mechanical with shift lever and cable, 30 spline Chromoly (Carbon), 4.88. I know I can get bigger axles, but would like to keep the factory as spares.
Parts list is about $1650 before install

Currie EJS build had a Detroit in the front. Everything I read sounds good. Anything I am missing? other concerns? It sound like a traction aid without the stresses of locking a turn axle. This scares me to be honest. If I did lock the front, I would definitely go with the 44 and also OX. Also mechanical.

Thanks!

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Don't lock a Dana 30. You'll be wasting money on an axle you will eventually break, if you wheel much. Put a selectable locker in the rear 44, like an ARB. OverlanderJK wheeled the hell out of that same setup. It's the yellow 2 door, you see in some of the videos.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

propped1

Glad you posted back. No one was trying to give you bad advice here - we were trying to explain why we feel the Dynatrac is a better install. Remember this is your money but at the same time why replace parts that work perfectly fine?
Sometimes the simpler installation is the best and with the Dynatrac package we pretty much all feel that way. Good luck with your install either way. No one wants to see you fail.

The Dynatrac while bigger rotor is not necessarily a better kit when factoring in the caliper add. As someone with the rotor kit from TF, it stops WAY better than stock. I dont have the Calipers. I do have the MC. I got the master after I put on the fronts (used briefly - cheap) so drove without it for a while for comparison. The only real difference the MC made was the pedal felt better. Stopped the same... I would agree that it is likely not needed with factory calipers. I just put on the rears. These kits are tangerines and oranges though. Other factors to consider:

If you get the TF rotors and shitty pads, it will not be optimal. The TF kit doesnt come with pads. Dynatrac comes with pads. Since the Dynatrac front is 0.2" larger, putting a good pad on the front while retaining the stock caliper (which Dynatrac doesnt give you the option for) would give you the exact same results most likely. Unless you are Kyle Busch or Lewis Hamilton.... Would be exactly the same. Add a 2 piston caliper, it will be better. No bullshit... just engineering.

Rears, I dont know how much extra feeling 14.2" gives over 13.5"... maybe a bit more control, but again, shitty pads with the TF and you are going to really notice it. Since the Dynatrac is $1000for 4 rotors, brackets, pads, and TF is 550 (Starting) for rotors, brackets, you have 450 to spend on HP pads. If you get really nice grippy $85 sets? I guarantee there is not much difference.

I have the slotted up front (not an option from Dynatrac), smooth in the rear. I have hawk LTS up front, and Wagner OEX in the back. I spent 150 less than the Dynatrac including the master and I bet our stopping distances all things equal are within a couple feet of each other. Mine might even be better. I love Dynatrac products too I am NOT saying their brake system is not well engineered either.... but to straight bash a brand product because your puck broke on your leveling kit this one time is not productive.

I know MANY people running this kit and not one of them have replaced or complained. I dont own nor ever owned any other TF products to comment. They make nice brakes though. I want to know where the extra Dynatrac price goes? The brackets are squared and not contoured to the hub... they arent as well thought out as they claim either. No product is perfect. Both kits will stop you faster than stock. Thats the whole point. One does it cheaper... Hate is strong for TF on this thread...

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Dynatrac has some great pricing right now. I would call them and they will discuss everything with you over the phone.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The Dynatrac while bigger rotor is not necessarily a better kit when factoring in the caliper add. As someone with the rotor kit from TF, it stops WAY better than stock. I dont have the Calipers. I do have the MC. I got the master after I put on the fronts (used briefly - cheap) so drove without it for a while for comparison. The only real difference the MC made was the pedal felt better. Stopped the same... I would agree that it is likely not needed with factory calipers. I just put on the rears. These kits are tangerines and oranges though. Other factors to consider:

If you get the TF rotors and shitty pads, it will not be optimal. The TF kit doesnt come with pads. Dynatrac comes with pads. Since the Dynatrac front is 0.2" larger, putting a good pad on the front while retaining the stock caliper (which Dynatrac doesnt give you the option for) would give you the exact same results most likely. Unless you are Kyle Busch or Lewis Hamilton.... Would be exactly the same. Add a 2 piston caliper, it will be better. No bullshit... just engineering. This is like buying an AEV full kit v buying all the components yourself because you know exactly what you want.

Rears, I dont know how much extra feeling 14.2" gives over 13.5"... maybe a bit more control, but again, shitty pads with the TF and you are going to really notice it. Since the Dynatrac is $1000for 4 rotors, brackets, pads, and TF is 550 (Starting) for rotors, brackets, you have 450 to spend on HP pads. If you get really nice grippy $85 sets? I guarantee there is not much difference.

I have the slotted up front (not an option from Dynatrac), smooth in the rear. I have hawk LTS up front, and Wagner OEX in the back. I spent 150 less than the Dynatrac including the master and I bet our stopping distances all things equal are within a couple feet of each other. Mine might even be better. I love Dynatrac products too I am NOT saying their brake system is not well engineered either.... but to straight bash a brand product because your puck broke on your leveling kit this one time is not productive.

I know MANY people running this kit and not one of them have replaced or complained. I dont own nor ever owned any other TF products to comment. They make nice brakes though.

Lol. You must be an engineer. Welcome to WAL!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Hello all. New to the p and more about the Detroit Trutrac. I have done a ton of research on this, and here are my options I've narrowed down to. What else should I consider?

Currie SEMA build had a Detroit in the front. Everything I read sounds good. Anything I am missing? other concerns? It sound like a traction aid without the stresses of locking a turn axle. This scares me to be honest. If I did lock the front, I would definitely go with the 44 and also OX. Also mechanical.

Thanks!

Just because a vendor has a product in their show rig you want one? :thinking:

Do you also want a Fab Fours Grumper?

WJCO

Meme King

If you get the TF rotors and shitty pads, it will not be optimal. The TF kit doesnt come with pads. Dynatrac comes with pads. Since the Dynatrac front is 0.2" larger, putting a good pad on the front while retaining the stock caliper (which Dynatrac doesnt give you the option for) would give you the exact same results most likely. Unless you are Kyle Busch or Lewis Hamilton.... Would be exactly the same. Add a 2 piston caliper, it will be better. No bullshit... just engineering. This is like buying an AEV full kit v buying all the components yourself because you know exactly what you want.

I know MANY people running this kit and not one of them have replaced or complained. I dont own nor ever owned any other TF products to comment. They make nice brakes though. I want to know where the extra Dynatrac price goes? The brackets are squared and not contoured to the hub... they arent as well thought out as they claim either. No product is perfect. Both kits will stop you faster than stock. Thats the whole point.

Welcome to WAL. Cue Billy Madison "incoherent rambling" clip. Also, Dynatrac DOES allow you to retain your calipers, but hey it's much cooler to say you went to great lengths to open up the system with a cool new master cylinder. Please stop by our awareness booth and help us raise money for a good cause.

propped1

Don't lock a Dana 30. You'll be wasting money on an axle you will eventually break, if you wheel much. Put a selectable locker in the rear 44, like an ARB. OverlanderJK wheeled the hell out of that same setup. It's the yellow 2 door, you see in some of the videos.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Never said I wanted to lock a 30

Dynatrac has some great pricing right now. I would call them and they will discuss everything with you over the phone.

The Dynatrac bare housing is 2200. The Currie is 1600. Itd need to be a pretty awesome deal... Also just spent a bunch of money on the Jeep.... not in wallet emptying round 2 mode just yet. Just conceptual at this point.

Just because a vendor has a product in their show rig you want one? :thinking:

Do you also want a Fab Fours Grumper?

No... The Currie family races off road rigs. They race other things too. They wouldnt put something that was junk in. Just making a comment. You have insight or nah?

Last edited:

propped1

"Also, Dynatrac DOES allow you to retain your calipers, but hey it's much cooler ..."

I never said they didnt. Allow... or has no option whether you want to or not? Technically TF is the one that "allows" you to retain factory because they have an option to add a 2 piston if you so choose.... Choice. Dynatrac forces you to retain. No choice. Unless you are talking like Chinese government type "choice".

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
No... The Currie family races off road rigs. They race other things too. They wouldnt put something that was junk in. Just making a comment. You have insight or nah?

They brought 5 vehicles to SEMA, which ones of their rigs had the Detroit? Better yet did their "racing" rig have a Dana 30?

WJCO

Meme King
I never said they didnt. Allow... or has no option whether you want to or not? Technically TF is the one that "allows" you to retain factory because they have an option to add a 2 piston if you so choose.... Choice. Dynatrac forces you to retain. No choice. Unless you are talking like Chinese government type "choice".

Good to hear you're a happy Teraflex Chinese 2piston customer then. They sold you what you wanted for your Jeep because in the end, that's all that really matters anyways. Your Jeep, your money and time.

propped1

They brought 5 vehicles to SEMA, which ones of their rigs had the Detroit? Better yet did their "racing" rig have a Dana 30?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsz2KkA9ns

Sorry Easter Jeep. The one in this episode. Cant find Specs but John Currie says it has a Detroit.... actually doesnt specify now that I watch it again... could be a locker. And as for your 30 comment sounds like 70 rear and 60 front... So no. Again. You got insight into any of this, or just challenging/trolling?

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I'm sorry I can't read all that BS while I'm driving. Say what you want professor but the larger swept area of the dynatrac rotors with their pads WORK. No changing MC or calipers. No bleeding brakes. No bleeding MC. And it's made by a company that stands behind their products. Above & beyond actually.

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsz2KkA9ns

Sorry Easter Jeep. The one in this episode. Cant find Specs but John Currie says it has a Detroit.... actually doesnt specify now that I watch it again... could be a locker. And as for your 30 comment sounds like 70 rear and 60 front... So no. Again. You got insight into any of this, or just challenging/trolling?

So what do you need from us? Most guys here that run aftermarket axles, are likely running Dynatracs. With that being said, have you called Currie yet to discuss your build? You are involved in 2 threads so far and aren't interested in Dynatrac products, so again, what made you come here for advice? :thinking:

propped1

So what do you need from us? Most guys here that run aftermarket axles, are likely running Dynatracs. With that being said, have you called Currie yet to discuss your build? You are involved in 2 threads so far and aren't interested in Dynatrac products, so again, what made you come here for advice? :thinking:

Read the post.

I wasnt anti Dynatrac in the other. You read into it because you like/own Dynatrac. Me too... dont own, but appreciate their products. Just a lot of hate for a competing product is all.... Is this site a subsidiary of Dynatrac? Should everyone be pro Dynatrac or nothing? I dont care what you run.... I was asking about the above products. you got insight or no? Its okay to not be an expert in something. If you dont know, you dont have to answer. If I cant talk about a product other than Dynatrac, then I'm not in a good place to receive unbiased feedback. I'll wait til I have a Dynatrac specific question?

Something I'm missing?

I wasnt anti Dynatrac in the other. You read into it because you like Dynatrac. Me too. Just a lot of hate for a competing product is all.... Is this site a subsidiary of Dynatrac? Should everyone be pro Dynatrac or nothing? I dont care what you run.... I was asking about the above products. you got insight or no? Its okay to not be an expert in something. If you dont know, you dont have to answer. If I cant talk about a product other than Dynatrac, then I'm not in a good place to receive unbiased feedback.

Something I'm missing?

I think what you'll find a lot of people say on here is that we love dynatrac's axles and prefer them over anybody else. Not because they're a sponsor on the site, or any of that shit. Simply because they build the best and strongest axles on the market, hands down. And now, as WJCO mentioned, they have EXTREMELY lowered pricing on their axle kits...it's unreal how low they've priced these gems. I have heard many stories of broken Currie axles, but never ran one...I can't tell you of a time I've heard of a dynatrac axle breaking...take that for what it's worth. So if it was my money, I would just save the extra $600 or whatever you worked it out to, and go with dynatrac. Matter of fact, I'm actually saving pennies for prorock 60's front and rear right now.

propped1

Good to hear you're a happy Teraflex Chinese 2piston customer then. They sold you what you wanted for your Jeep because in the end, that's all that really matters anyways. Your Jeep, your money and time.

You didnt read anything did you? Read what I said. I. Dont. Own. The. Calipers. Cheese and Rice, man. I have the same calipers you get with the Dynatrac kit.

Top Bottom