Roof rack for hardshell pop up tents.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Hello fellow jeepers.

I am currently looking for a roof rack that would be ideal for a pop up tents on top. So max 800 lbs stationary load possibly. I've been looking at extreme 4x4 at there cargo master Congo pro kit
http://www.extremeterrain.com/kargo-master-congo-pro-kit-4dr-0717.html
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of these and how they compare to gobi ?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Do you have a hard top or soft top? Gobi makes a well regarded unit. There's also one that bolts through your hard top (you have to drill holes through it) and it clamps into the roll cage so all the weight isn't on the hard top shell.

Expedition portal folks are very into RTT's so you'll get some great info over there, for example: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...cking-tent-system-for-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited

Robertcrav

Hello fellow jeepers.

I am currently looking for a roof rack that would be ideal for a pop up tents on top. So max 800 lbs stationary load possibly. I've been looking at extreme 4x4 at there cargo master Congo pro kit
http://www.extremeterrain.com/kargo-master-congo-pro-kit-4dr-0717.html
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of these and how they compare to gobi ?

Thanks!

No personal experience with roof racks, but I'm super impressed with Front Runner vid here https://youtu.be/Tz-Zw5cyBEo

maxresdefault.jpg

Journeyman

Wow [emoji15] I hope your not planning to put anywhere near 800lbs on your roof.
The front runner rack is probably the heaviest duty I know of. But the problem is once you install your committed to keeping your hardtop on and I think even your freedom panels are stuck on. It attaches to your roll bar and basically sandwiches your top between two plates. One interior and exterior, so all the load is on your roll bar and front pillars.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I've got the Congo pro sitting in my garage since black Friday. I got it because it's strong enough to mount a rooftop tent if I decide to go that route. It's 2" tubing compared to 1.5" or square stock like most of the others I was looking at, so it's stronger plus it should look better on the Jeep.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gibn

I've got the Congo pro sitting in my garage since black Friday. I got it because it's strong enough to mount a rooftop tent if I decide to go that route. It's 2" tubing compared to 1.5" or square stock like most of the others I was looking at, so it's stronger plus it should look better on the Jeep.

How would you rate the quality ? I just want to know how shaky the unit is installed .

BaddestCross

How would you rate the quality ? I just want to know how shaky the unit is installed.

Like I said, it's still sitting in the box in my garage. 😎 Haven't had the opportunity to mount it yet, but from what I've read and seen online I expect it to be a quality rack.

I hope to get it installed this long weekend so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Journeyman

What types of rtt are you guys looking at putting on your roof? I installed mine for one trip and decided that I couldn't stand it and took it off. That's how I ended with my off-road trailer, where my rtt is now.

Just realized the title of this thread is hard shell rtt's those should be better than a tent type. Better aerodynamics from what I've seen. But after my experience their precarious at best no matter what type they are.

Last edited:

Robertcrav

Wow [emoji15] I hope your not planning to put anywhere near 800lbs on your roof.
The front runner rack is probably the heaviest duty I know of. But the problem is once you install your committed to keeping your hardtop on and I think even your freedom panels are stuck on. It attaches to your roll bar and basically sandwiches your top between two plates. One interior and exterior, so all the load is on your roll bar and front pillars.

Maybe 800lbs, meaning tent plus sleeping occupants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bowtech50

I am looking at the same stuff, and I am leaning towards the Rhino Rack. Like the mounting system and the engineering, and reviews say less wind noise. I also am not a fan of the exoskeleton look. The Rhino is rated at the 800lb you are looking for.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've got the rhino rack platform and it's great. I didn't notice any increase in wind noise and it is very sturdy. I quite often take 2 kayaks, a 3x3 gazebo and surf rods (about 80kg total) the local beach without issue.

I will say that it adds another 30kg to the weight of the hardtop which makes it hard to take on or off.

Top Bottom