Evo long arm

PATRIOTKJM

Does anyone know specifically if the evo long arm kit has any stretch? Hoping it's about an 1" for the front and 1" for the back but haven't been able to confirm this. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dchew

Caught the Bug
Well there is probably enough adjustment in the arms to do that, but I don't know why you would want to unless it was to fix some pre-existing problem. For example, if you are still using the upper spring perches you would decenter the springs by 1".

Dave

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

PATRIOTKJM

Well there is probably enough adjustment in the arms to do that, but I don't know why you would want to unless it was to fix some pre-existing problem. For example, if you are still using the upper spring perches you would decenter the springs by 1".

Dave

It's a coilover and need to move the rear axle back a bit for 40's

dchew

Caught the Bug
That should work. When I had coilovers in the rear my EVO arms were almost buried at the short end. Because of the double-thread adjustment you would be out 1/2" more than normal on each threaded connection. Not sure what it would do to the track bar fittings though. Maybe shorten their life, IDK.

dchew

Caught the Bug
You should also check the front coilovers. For example, EVO's bolt-on's come close to the back of the OEM spring perch, and would hit if you moved the axle forward an inch. All depends on your set up and axles. I only have a PR44 in the front; you will probably have something beefier.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why would you need to move the axles forward and backward to fit 40's? Is everyone else running 40's doing something wrong with the axle in the same position?

PATRIOTKJM

Why would you need to move the axles forward and backward to fit 40's? Is everyone else running 40's doing something wrong with the axle in the same position?

The 40s fit and cycle fine but rear axle is favored towards front of tub, so I'd like to get it back a bit where it should be. I'm pretty sure the long arm kit does this but looking for someone that knows from experience

WJCO

Meme King
The 40s fit and cycle fine but rear axle is favored towards front of tub, so I'd like to get it back a bit where it should be. I'm pretty sure the long arm kit does this but looking for someone that knows from experience

I don't have experience with this kit nor 40s, however, how close is the tire to the tub? Remember as your rear axle cycles, it swings back in an arc, not straight up, so I imagine that if you're not having any issues, there's no need to do anything else.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

With this kit and 37s Ive had to adjust them a couple times and I still hit the pinch seam occasionally. As mentioned you can adjust but you have to be careful of how it affects other things. Overall its adjustable but there is no stretch and it will definitely be favored forward and may require trimming to be perfect. I think the high clearance LA has the same issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Your axle cycles fine because it is NOT pushed back an inch like you think it should be. It "looks" favored toward the front because of the amount of lift you have. Your axles travel in an arc - NOT straight up and down. If you push your axle back, they will be favored toward the rear at a full bump and will cause rubbing issues there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have experience with this kit nor 40s, however, how close is the tire to the tub? Remember as your rear axle cycles, it swings back in an arc, not straight up, so I imagine that if you're not having any issues, there's no need to do anything else.

LOL!! Guess I spent too much time chit chatting while making coffee this morning :crazyeyes:

JKbrick

Your axle cycles fine because it is NOT pushed back an inch like you think it should be. It "looks" favored toward the front because of the amount of lift you have. Your axles travel in an arc - NOT straight up and down. If you push your axle back, they will be favored toward the rear at a full bump and will cause rubbing issues there.

I noticed you and wjco both said it moves in an arc. I always wondered this since it has 4 control arms instead of two and they are unequal length if that made the axle go straight up and down or in an arc. The arc makes more sense

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed you and wjco both said it moves in an arc. I always wondered this since it has 4 control arms instead of two and they are unequal length if that made the axle go straight up and down or in an arc. The arc makes more sense

Rack your Jeep, remove the coils and cycle your axle from a full droop to a full bump. Tell me what you see.

WJCO

Meme King

Yep. It's an arc. Which is why when doing a custom swap, or bump stop modification, you have to fully cycle the axle upward to know exactly where your bump stops will hit. Also, if you have a track bar, your axle will also shift sideways as well when it is cycled upward.

As far as arms of different length, I have heard there is actually an engineering aspect (which I don't know shit about) regarding the distance between the upper mount bolt holes and lower mount bolt holes should be a specific distance to one another to reduce or eliminate binding as the axle swings.

JeepJeep75

Rack your Jeep, remove the coils and cycle your axle from a full droop to a full bump. Tell me what you see.

This sounds like a huge PITA, but it really helps you see and understand what's going on under your jeep. I did this to both ends of my jeep after a 3 inch Enforcer install. I found and fixed some rubbing issues along with some wiring and breather hose issues on both ends. I also learned a bunch about how the suspension cycles and moves. Totally worth doing guys!!

PATRIOTKJM

Yah I will be cycling it when I install long arms just seemed to me that I would want to set it a bit further back. I understand the arc but even at full bump I'm still favored forward with stock arms. IMG_5426.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yah I will be cycling it when I install long arms just seemed to me that I would want to set it a bit further back. I understand the arc but even at full bump I'm still favored forward with stock arms.

:cheesy: Seriously.... that's all you trimmed? Think you need to try again.

Top Bottom