King Shock Bumps on DD- Yes or No?

twoxstreem

I am going in for some upgrades and want to get your opinions on King Shock Bumps front and rear for a daily driver. My factory foam bumps are torn and need to be replaced.

Here is the deal, my JKU is a DD and I wheel a few times per year. We all know what the king bump shocks will do when crawling or bombing off-road, but the question is, will the King Bump Stops assist or improve road manners at all when on-road. The roads in NY are terrible and there are several large, jarring road heaves, culvert "speed bump like " areas on my highway commute that i am hoping that long arms (and possibly king bump stops) will help smooth out at moderate to high freeway speed.

Current Set up:

Evo 4 in Plush ride coils
Evo spec 2.5 king shocks
adj short arms
drag link flip
adj track bars
37 Toyo RT

New Upgrades:

Clayton long arm upgrade
Prorock 44
New rear artec coil perches (to realign coils)
King bumps front and rear?

Will King bump stops be helpful on-road too? I would appreciate any feedback from owners that are running air/hydraulic bumps on their DD.

Buster3479

Are you engaging your bump stops or bottoming out your suspension on road?

If regular passenger cars are on the same roads, I can't imagine ever engaging my bump stops.

If you wheel a few times a year, you probably don't need king bump stops. Unless you have money to spend, in which case go for it. That said, I don't need them but I'll probably get them at some point to go with my evo king coilovers lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

It's a fvck yes from me. Between me and 2 other guys I wheel with they are one of our fav upgrades on our rigs.

JAGS

Hooked
I have the bumps on my DD. Only reason for King bumps is going fast off-road. You'll never need them for a DD on road nor really for rock crawling.

If your wheeling just a few times a year, not sure you'll get all the benefits. That said, great product...your money.

twoxstreem

You didn't mention steering assist as a possible upgrade, and that would be something I would do before bumpstops

I have been thinking about PSC for a while and it was on my list until they decided to make an announcement that they have a new system that is being released this year.

King bumps + labor to install will run $1600, PSC is $2600 uninstalled if I am correct.

twoxstreem

Are you engaging your bump stops or bottoming out your suspension on road?

If regular passenger cars are on the same roads, I can't imagine ever engaging my bump stops.

I was thinking the same thing but then I noticed that my foam front bumps are torn and shot which I would think the only cause would be that I am hitting them more than I thought I was.

I can see that my king shocks do appear to use a lot of the shaft length from susp. travel at times, because there is a clean mark on the shaft from where the seal stops during up travel.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I have been thinking about PSC for a while and it was on my list until they decided to make an announcement that they have a new system that is being released this year.

King bumps + labor to install will run $1600, PSC is $2600 uninstalled if I am correct.

I would install the PSC steering myself so I wouldn't have to pay someone else to do it, and if you call Trail Jeeps and ask for a PSC steering quote I think you will be surprised.

*hint* its cheaper than your king bumps installed

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the bumps are essentially useless driving around town. Pretty useless if all you do is go rock crawling too. Where they're nice to have is when bombing across the desert and when you hit big bumps on a regular basis.

twoxstreem

As mentioned, the bumps are essentially useless driving around town. Pretty useless if all you do is go rock crawling too. Where they're nice to have is when bombing across the desert and when you hit big bumps on a regular basis.

Ok thank you.

Top Bottom