Gas fill problem

JTJK3.8

This Sunday I went to rausch creek off road park here in Pa. I had hit a few mud holes, one leaving me suck in water up to my doors. Ever since I have had a hard time filling my fuel tank, squeeze the handle at the pump click, it shuts off, squeeze and click. It sounds like its gasping for air as the gas flows into the tank like a vent is clogged? I'm lost and I'm not sure what to do. I crawled under and everything looked normal. I have had my jk for close to two years now and I haven't had a problem like this before.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-1619842848.jpg
    image-1619842848.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
That kind of issue is usually caused by the evap system, which could be a clogged vent in most cases. What's make the pump click is the fuel return (read top off) in the fill tube. If your evap vent is clogged, then the air (empty space in your tank) will force its way out by the fill tube instead of the vent, which pushes/refrain the gas flow and makes the pump click like you were full.

It can be the vent tube itself, the exit of the tube, or the kind of check valve in the tank that is stuck (or frozen) closed.

Last edited:

Resqduck7

Every time I fuel up I have gas that purges out before the pump kicks off. They said it was a bad check valve and they replaced it. 5 months later I have the same problem. Is there a way I can prevent this from reoccurring so I don't have to keep going back to the dealer for replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Halas

Every time I fuel up I have gas that purges out before the pump kicks off. They said it was a bad check valve and they replaced it. 5 months later I have the same problem. Is there a way I can prevent this from reoccurring so I don't have to keep going back to the dealer for replacement?

My wife has been having the same problem lately.... It is a 2009 jku, is there a fix for this?

JKBANDIT55

I had this problem in my old 07 JK. It started the same way, I had went through a few deep mud holes up to the hood of muddy water. I found a thread on JK-Forum about it and some guy posted to buy some fuel cleaner. The ones you put in before you fill up. The problem was fixed. But you'll never know. I was willing to try anything. I did go mudding a few more times and the same problem happened. I ended up dealing with it till I traded the jeep in. I asked the guy at Autozone if he has had any experience with my problem and he pointed me in the direction of which cleaner to buy. Cant remember the name, its been 3 years.

ssh6314

From what I've read. It's a known issue with some 07-09 jk's. Also, from what I've read, Chrysler has a bulletin out on it. But not a recall. So they know. But its not getting fixed in there dime. Again. This is all just internet research that ive read. I'm not sure if its true. The only true fix that makes it stop 100%, Is a whole New gas tank. I have a JK that does this. I just know my tank size. And when I get close to full. You listen carefully. You can hear the gargle start coming up spout. That's when I know. And that's when you have about 10 sec before gas is leaking down the side of your jeep ( I have it down to an art )

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LoPo

Caught the Bug
From what I've read. It's a known issue with some 07-09 jk's. Also, from what I've read, Chrysler has a bulletin out on it. But not a recall. So they know. But its not getting fixed in there dime. Again. This is all just internet research that ive read. I'm not sure if its true. The only true fix that makes it stop 100%, Is a whole New gas tank. I have a JK that does this. I just know my tank size. And when I get close to full. You listen carefully. You can hear the gargle start coming up spout. That's when I know. And that's when you have about 10 sec before gas is leaking down the side of your jeep ( I have it down to an art )

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

My 07 started doing this in Nov. the last two fill ups though it hasn't happened. Perhaps it's time for a Genright tank.

JTJK3.8

Thank you for your input everyone, ill let you know if the gas treatment works.

More suggestions are more than welcome!

Superman

There was a recall for this

Resqduck7

I will look into this, thank you for the info. All is welcome and useful.

JeepSpurs

I've been experiencing gas coming out of the fill tube as the tank got full ever since I bought my 2008 JK. :doh: But only when the gas stations switch to the winter blend. :thinking: When they switch back to the summer blend, it shuts off correctly and no more gas flowing down the side of my Jeep. :idontknow:

Tackerdown

Banned
Jt's is doing it from the beginning of the fill. Not as its getting full he can't even fill it a little without it tripping off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been experiencing gas coming out of the fill tube as the tank got full ever since I bought my 2008 JK. :doh: But only when the gas stations switch to the winter blend. :thinking: When they switch back to the summer blend, it shuts off correctly and no more gas flowing down the side of my Jeep. :idontknow:

Funny you should mention this as we only really have the overfill problem when gassing up out of state.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you only have the problem in the winter months ?

I have this problem out of state no matter what but, only sometimes in here in CA. I can't say for sure if it happens in the summer here as I've never given it much thought but it does happen from time to time now.

Culprit

I had the same problem and it ended up being a recall on the gas tank and the dealership replaced. They say it happen on 07-09 models.

JTJK3.8

Okay, the gas treatment did not work. I wish I knew what all the components were that would affect me not being able to fill my tank. Is there anything with the vent on the fill I can remove to clean that would eliminate this premature shut off at the pump?

And for the other convo goin on I don't seem to have the over flow problem during the summer now that you mentioned that.

Top Bottom