Axle shaft question

Mkp08

I have a friend that can get me RCV 35 spline axle shafts for 900 or I can get a set of normal chromoly u joint 30 spline axle shafts for like 750+tax. I'm going to put them in a Pro Rock 44 Front housing with an ARB Locker and 5.13 gears. I don't really know much about RCV axle shafts and don't know what the advantages would be?

What is so good about RCV axle shafts what are the pros and cons?

What is so good about Chromoly u joint axle shafts what are the pros and cons?

jkrichard

No experience with chromoly but I have the rcv shafts.

The benifits of rcv is that they use a CV joint in place of the u joint. The nature of a u joint is that the more angle (when you turn) there is in it the weaker it is and the more binding it creates on itself.

Someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you if there is less shockloading or pressure pushed back through your driveline because of the smooth transition of power rather than having the binding loading and unloading on every rotation.

The cv stays about as strong at full lock as straight. There is also no 'crow hop' when turning in 4 wheel drive because of the elimination of the binding.

They are strong as hell as well.

I'm fairly certain chromoly is just a stronger alloy than just the steel that is usually used.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a friend that can get me RCV 35 spline axle shafts for 900 or I can get a set of normal chromoly u joint 30 spline axle shafts for like 750+tax. I'm going to put them in a Pro Rock 44 Front housing with an ARB Locker and 5.13 gears. I don't really know much about RCV axle shafts and don't know what the advantages would be?

What is so good about RCV axle shafts what are the pros and cons?

What is so good about Chromoly u joint axle shafts what are the pros and cons?

Ujoint shafts can go for around 500 bucks up to 900 bucks. CV joints tend to be smoother during turns while they're rotating. 35 spline will be stronger, however some people have commented that the RCVs can be very noisy and the manufacturer says it's normal rather than dealing with it. Being that Dynatrac built my axle, I had them go ahead and use their Chromoly ujoint shafts. We have several threads on this. Here's one recent one.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?37030-Axle-shafts-for-37-s

Top Bottom