Rear axle/shaft question

bapicella

So I have a 16 sport with the 44 rear. From my understanding I have 30 spline shafts.... I have a rubicon elocker and the 32 spline shafts that go with it sitting in my garage. Can I put those in my sport 44 housing?? I tried to do some research over the past couple days and cant really find much. My only concern is I found a thread stating that the rubicon rear shafts are different lengths (driver and passenger are not the same length) and that the sport rear 44s are equal length shafts? Appreciate any insight before I dive in!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I have a 16 sport with the 44 rear. From my understanding I have 30 spline shafts.... I have a rubicon elocker and the 32 spline shafts that go with it sitting in my garage. Can I put those in my sport 44 housing?? I tried to do some research over the past couple days and cant really find much. My only concern is I found a thread stating that the rubicon rear shafts are different lengths (driver and passenger are not the same length) and that the sport rear 44s are equal length shafts? Appreciate any insight before I dive in!

Hopefully someone can chime in with better info for you, but I think it would be a chore. The housing would need to accommodate the sensor, actuator and associated wiring. I also think the carrier bearings are different so not sure if it would even fit at all. Best of luck to you but it might be easier to find a rubi housing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bapicella

If that's the case would it be better to just get an aftermarket locker and shafts but keep my sport housing? I thought there wasn't any difference in the rear 44 housings between a sport and rubicon other then internals?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
If that's the case would it be better to just get an aftermarket locker and shafts but keep my sport housing? I thought there wasn't any difference in the rear 44 housings between a sport and rubicon other then internals?

There's at least differences that you can't hook the wiring up to a sport housing. I'm really not sure what else is different. If it's a bunch of work to make it fit my vote would be to get an ARB and not waste money on the factory locker.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

No you can NOT put a rubicon locker in a sport housing. They are ever so slightly different.

bapicella

Eaton makes a good e locker and what I would suggest. The arb really is the way to go tho imo

I ran across those lockers in my search. The reason why I hesitate with the ARB lockers is because of the added expense of the air compressor and just the locker in general. Is there any added benefit to running ARB over Eaton? Is the ARB stronger then the Eaton?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I ran across those lockers in my search. The reason why I hesitate with the ARB lockers is because of the added expense of the air compressor and just the locker in general. Is there any added benefit to running ARB over Eaton? Is the ARB stronger then the Eaton?
Yes there is that added cost but the package Mike provided below is an amazing kit and price for what your getting and what I would get if I didn't already have those components. Also yes, Arb is much stronger than eaton.
I would just upgrade the rear sport 44. Here's a pretty new offering from Dynatrac. Really a solid package - shafts, ARB locker and diff cover, 35 spline. Meant for non Rubicon axles.
https://www.dynatrac.com/jk44-rear-35-spline-axleshaft-upgrade-kit-5-on-5.html

J

JKDream

Yes, the ARB is the strongest selectable locker on the market.
With that said, depending on your tire size the e-locker may work just fine for you.
The Eaton is a solid locker however, I have one in the rear of my JK on 37s and I've been happy with it.

bapicella

For those running the ARB lockers, do you have to use the ARB compressor? What compressor setup are you running?

For those running the ARB lockers, do you have to use the ARB compressor? What compressor setup are you running?

I run the CKMA12 (single compressor). But if I was to do it over again, I would have saved a bit more and bought the dual compressor. Both will work though for lockers and airing up tires up to 37" no doubt.

bapicella

I run the CKMA12 (single compressor). But if I was to do it over again, I would have saved a bit more and bought the dual compressor. Both will work though for lockers and airing up tires up to 37" no doubt.

From your experience why would you go with the dual? Are the only benefits seen airing up tires or does it improve the locker functionality?

From your experience why would you go with the dual? Are the only benefits seen airing up tires or does it improve the locker functionality?

No difference in running your lockers. But airing up your big tires over and over again, there's always that possibility the single compressor craps out on you. The twin compressor you should never have to worry about it. With my single, I carry a portable compressor that attaches to my battery. If I had a twin, I would leave the portable in my garage on trips.

WJCO

Meme King
Last time I was out, I aired up my 33s and a buddy's set of 37s in less than 15 minutes with the twin. So 8 tires in less than 15 minutes. From about 10-15 psi back up to 30. It's a badass compressor.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The twin also has a 100% duty cycle where the single is 50%. Twice the volume of air for twice as long. I have been doing a lot of research on these, and if I go electric it will be the ARB twin. Only other option in considering is running a York.

Top Bottom