aditional protection

Hi all

For the moment I only have the stock skid plates under the jeep but I do have lod rock sliders attached.

I will buy extra for the auto transmission and engine since I´ve a 2012 but is there anything else that is worth the cost and time to add? I´ve been looking at those small skidplates that you weld to the front axle to protect the front lower control arms mounts. Any benefit to add those?

Any reason to change the front diff cover? ( stock dana 30 that will be on the jeep for a long time, do not wheel that hard but of course there is always possibility to hit hidden rocks )

thanks!

J

JKDream

Hi all

For the moment I only have the stock skid plates under the jeep but I do have lod rock sliders attached.

I will buy extra for the auto transmission and engine since I´ve a 2012 but is there anything else that is worth the cost and time to add? I´ve been looking at those small skidplates that you weld to the front axle to protect the front lower control arms mounts. Any benefit to add those?

Any reason to change the front diff cover? ( stock dana 30 that will be on the jeep for a long time, do not wheel that hard but of course there is always possibility to hit hidden rocks )

thanks!

LCA skids are worth it, the OEM mounts are like tin metal, the skids will stiffen them up quite a bit.
I opted to cut them off and weld on artecs which is probably the better route.

As for skidplates I'll let someone else chime in as I still just run the oem skids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Hi all

thanks!

The front LCA skids will help strengthen things and I would also add the diff covers. Small expense to save you from expensive headaches.

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all

thanks!

I would upgrade the cover for sure. As far as control arm skids, I've never used them. My control arm mounts are bent to shit but still serve their purpose.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Rock Hard and EVO make great armor for under your Jeep, I personally have the Evo protek skids and think they offer great protection.

Thanks all

Oilpan and trans skid I had already made up my mind on but after that I will also strenghten up the LCA and diff cover. Was not sure if the cost of the dif cover was worth it on a dana 30 but since I do not plan to change it out, it might be better to protect what I´ve have.

I do not wheel hard but like to go abroad and if you are like 2000 km from home somewhere in Kola iceland Russia for adventure and overlanding you better be preppered. Those overland trails can be really shitty an there is often a lot of water crossings and muddy roads and a lot of hidden rocks, tree stumps and shit everwhere lurking under water or mud.

Thanks again.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks all

Oilpan and trans skid I had already made up my mind on but after that I will also strenghten up the LCA and diff cover. Was not sure if the cost of the dif cover was worth it on a dana 30 but since I do not plan to change it out, it might be better to protect what I´ve have.

I do not wheel hard but like to go abroad and if you are like 2000 km from home somewhere in Kola iceland Russia for adventure and overlanding you better be preppered. Those overland trails can be really shitty an there is often a lot of water crossings and muddy roads and a lot of hidden rocks, tree stumps and shit everwhere lurking under water or mud.

Thanks again.

What did you decide on for skids?

jeeeep

Hooked
the stock diff covers are strong.

only issue they had and not sure if it's still the same for newer models, but on my 2010 the covers hung just below the diffs and would catch when scraping across a rock. I marked mine then with the next fluid change, pulled them off and ground them down so they were flush with the diff. Unless you want a different look, I'd save that money and spend it elsewhere.

J

JKDream

only issue they had and not sure if it's still the same for newer models, but on my 2010 the covers hung just below the diffs and would catch when scraping across a rock. I marked mine then with the next fluid change, pulled them off and ground them down so they were flush with the diff. Unless you want a different look, I'd save that money and spend it elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd call them strong, my rear took a large dent from reversing into a treestump.
PSC makes good covers for cheap.

What did you decide on for skids?

Since I live in Sweden my choises does narrows down a bit, of course I can order from anywhere around the globe but my "local" shop could only offer me the smittybilt oilpan and transmission skid. I know they are called shittybilt and are made in china but as far as the trans oil pan skid for what I have read they seems to be ok. The fit was good and they are about the same thicknes as the rest of the skids on the market. Hopefully they will do for me.

I also can have them for a resonable 2995 SEK and that is about 299 american dollars.

My LOD rocksliders where not cheap for me, about 1300 dollars to get here but I really wanted them so what to do. Point is that it is very expensive to buy real American made for me.

Being a jeep freak in Sweden is not that easy.

I´ve not noted that the diff cover hung below the pumpkin but have to check.

If stock are ok I´m first to be happy to save a couple of hundred of dollars. I´m a pussy when it comes to high grass and deep brown water there you can not see the bad stuff so I wheel slowly in those cases. As long as the stock cover can take some hits on rocks in slow speed thats good enough for me.

I actually did hit the cover some weeks ago on a solid rock and there was just barley a vissible mark on the cover but I was only driving in a few kilomters per hour. Like walking speed.

Thanks all for the response.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, being that everything costs so much where you're at, I personally would recommend that you save your money and buy ONLY the things you are finding that you're needing. If you're not playing on terrain where you're hitting your lower control arm axle mounts all the time, you probably don't need skids there. I would say the same about your diffs, if you find that you can keep your tires on the obstacles instead of driving your diff into them, you probably don't need diff covers. What I would recommend is that you remove your factory covers and grid down the bottom lip of it so that they sit HIGHER than the bottom of your diff housings. The number one problem people have with factory covers is that they can catch on rocks, peel back and cause a leak. By doing this simple and FREE step, I think that you'll find your factory diff covers to be more than enough to get the job done. Of course, that's just me.

Honestly, being that everything costs so much where you're at, I personally would recommend that you save your money and buy ONLY the things you are finding that you're needing. If you're not playing on terrain where you're hitting your lower control arm axle mounts all the time, you probably don't need skids there. I would say the same about your diffs, if you find that you can keep your tires on the obstacles instead of driving your diff into them, you probably don't need diff covers. What I would recommend is that you remove your factory covers and grid down the bottom lip of it so that they sit HIGHER than the bottom of your diff housings. The number one problem people have with factory covers is that they can catch on rocks, peel back and cause a leak. By doing this simple and FREE step, I think that you'll find your factory diff covers to be more than enough to get the job done. Of course, that's just me.

Thanks for reply.

I guess that stock diff cover will do.

This is one of the route I do would like to do. The film is about 20 minutes long but there is some very nice sceenery. In Kola Russia it is legal to go off road but here in Sweden it is not allowed execpt on 4x4 meetings with permission.

I´ve nothing to do with those person in the youtube clipp but for what I know there is a lot of people doing this route. Some Russians also do it to get to North Kapp via a adventure route intead of the boring asphalt roads.

Anyway, it might not be super hard wheeling but it is very remote area. This tour should take about 18 days to from my location.

Top Bottom