Tires for Rubicon Unlimited

sspradley

Just bought a new Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...immediately put a 4" Mopar lift (at dealer now getting lift) and am curious about tires.

I plan on spending some time in the snow... what tires does anyone recommend? The plan is to have it mounted on Toyo 35x12.50x17's... anyone with experience on these Toyo's specific with snow? I could also change them to something else - if anyone else has a recommendation.

thanks in advance

Heavyhaul07

I've rad the toyo mt and the at in the snow. Mt worked decent at a bit better. I've heard great things about the bfg ko2's and the cooper stt pros for the snow. I just got a new set of toyo mt in my garage just waiting to be mounted after I do my gears at the end of the month

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Just bought a new Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...immediately put a 4" Mopar lift (at dealer now getting lift) and am curious about tires.

I plan on spending some time in the snow... what tires does anyone recommend? The plan is to have it mounted on Toyo 35x12.50x17's... anyone with experience on these Toyo's specific with snow? I could also change them to something else - if anyone else has a recommendation.

thanks in advance

Goodyear Wrangler duratracs are awesome in the snow.

Kaylinator

thanks in advance
Don't have any tire advice for you, but please report back on your 4" MOPAR lift. I've heard great things about the 2"... Not so great things about the 4". There were issues with it when it first came out that I believe have since been resolved, but of course, people only hop on the internet to complain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

sspradley

Don't have any tire advice for you, but please report back on your 4" MOPAR lift. I've heard great things about the 2"... Not so great things about the 4". There were issues with it when it first came out that I believe have since been resolved, but of course, people only hop on the internet to complain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sure will - give an indepth report after several months of use. That said, after an extended demo period (including some light off road, the ride was amazing... no roll to speak of, crisp in turns and 30 mph over speed bumps were not injurious.

J

JKDream

Second this, for winter driving they are great.
Any true mud tire isn't going to be amazing in the snow.
How often do you figure you'll be out in the snow?
I run MTR's up here in Canada, but carry a set of v-bars for the really nasty days, I've done quite well on muds so far.
(btw I absolutely do not recommend MTRs)

zimm

Caught the Bug

This. I have them and have been off-road a few times in the snow/mud. They are actually "snow flake" rated too. You want a tire with siping. The guys with non-siped tires (Trail grapplers, BFG MT, General Grabbers) were sliding backwards on an ice covered hill. One required multiple winch pulls. The duratrac jeeps motored right on up.

Here's the guy with Trail Grappler's getting his winch line moved further up hill. It doesn't look bad, but it was an ice sheet. Most of us, including me, busted our asses at least once just standing there.

End of the Year ride by Zimm17, on Flickr

Last edited:
J

JKDream

You want a tire with siping. The guys with non-siped tires (Trail grapplers, BFG MT, General Grabbers) were sliding backwards on an ice covered hill.

That's half the fun though :D

Top Bottom