Rear seat belt locked around headrest

FirstJK

My driver's-side rear belt is locked and as luck would have it, someone (my mother-in-law) managed to get it locked around the headrest. I'm sure I need to take the entire back end apart to get it unlocked, or does someone know a magical pixie-dust and ferry way to get it to unlock?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
A seatbelt locked itself around a headrest by itself? The same seat your mother-in-law was sitting in? Do you have a good attorney? :crazyeyes:

jeeeep

Hooked
My driver's-side rear belt is locked and as luck would have it, someone (my mother-in-law) managed to get it locked around the headrest. I'm sure I need to take the entire back end apart to get it unlocked, or does someone know a magical pixie-dust and ferry way to get it to unlock?

did you try reclining the seat? or letting it go forward as far as it can? one of those should remove the 'pull' on the belt if it is wrapped around the headrest.

post a pic :thumb:

my bad - I'm thinking front seat. I shouldn't read until 30 minutes after eating lol

Last edited:

gheller

Maybe try removing the rear headrest? That might give you enough slack to slip it over the supports and retract enough to unlock.

MoxieMedic

Sounds like it got set to the ratchet setting, by being pulled out to the end. Unbolt it from the roll bar but don't let it traction in. Use a set of vice grips or a second person. You should have enough slack to get it off the headrest then. The head rest doesn't unlock until the seat is folded forward about 6 inches.

MoxieMedic

The headrests on the newer ones won't raise higher like the front seats, at least on the four door. They flip back when you lay the seats down. Pop the plastic off the shoulder angle where the belt transitions from going up to forward. It should have a T50 but I can double check if you need the size.

gheller

The rear headrests do come off easily, I had to remove them when installing my Bartact rear seat covers

Walldog

Find the retractor unit, there is a release button on the side of the retractor press and you're all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstJK

Sounds like it got set to the ratchet setting, by being pulled out to the end. Unbolt it from the roll bar but don't let it traction in. Use a set of vice grips or a second person. You should have enough slack to get it off the headrest then. The head rest doesn't unlock until the seat is folded forward about 6 inches.

Ok. I'll try that. I originally tried to put the seat forward so the headrest would flip back, but all that did was end up tightening the belt more. Thanks

zimm

Caught the Bug
The rear headrests do come off easily, I had to remove them when installing my Bartact rear seat covers

This.

There's a release that you hit and the head rest pops off leaving two steel rods sticking up. Hunt around with a flat blade screw driver.

FirstJK

The headrests on the newer ones won't raise higher like the front seats, at least on the four door. They flip back when you lay the seats down. Pop the plastic off the shoulder angle where the belt transitions from going up to forward. It should have a T50 but I can double check if you need the size.

WooHoo. Great success and there was much rejoicing. Good thing the Jeep came with the T50. Thanks for the help, I'm just upset I didn't think of that myself. I guess I was just pissed when I found out about it and wanted to strangle my mother in law. Lol

MoxieMedic

WooHoo. Great success and there was much rejoicing. Good thing the Jeep came with the T50. Thanks for the help, I'm just upset I didn't think of that myself. I guess I was just pissed when I found out about it and wanted to strangle my mother in law. Lol

Excellent!! I try to keep my mother in law out of my vehicles due to too many previous "incidents."

Top Bottom