Evo rear corner skin with body damage?

Pinzguy

Hey everyone! I've purchased a set of rear corner skins but not before I damaged my driver side corner in the forest IMG_2583.jpg
I've "massaged" it into rough shape by pulling with a tow strap and another truck. IMG_2602.jpg IMG_2603.jpg IMG_2604.jpg
How much will this affect my install should I take my time to not half-ass the body work?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

It shouldn't be too difficult as the nutserts don't bolt into that corner.
Just try to flatten it out the best that you can.

bmiller5

Im in the same boat, although mine is a little more severe. I recently just found a gentleman who has replaced a few of these rear quarters, so I think I am going to go that route if he can not straighten it enough for the EVO corners. Just an excuse to order the tire carrier with it!

same boat as you man, I had far worse damage than you mine still fit fine, however there is a gap where the corner is, so water can go through that. I'm worried about rust eventually but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Now I also didn't really work on getting it super super tight to the body.

scull20

I had a similar issue with doing this with the rock skins. Just do your best to flatten everything out to prevent future water, crap, creatures, etc. from building up in any voids that may remain between any imperfections in the body and the guards. I'd also hit those exposed portions with primer and paint.

bmiller5

That would be easy to put a cage in and liner the tub at that point , then start building.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would love to do something like that, but it is just not practical for me right now. I'm trying to invest more into property rather than the Jeep. Hopefully one day I will be able to do both!

- With that being said, if I end up swapping the tubs, this damaged one with all four doors will be for sale if anyone is interested.

*edit

- At first I was thinking you were meaning to cage/liner the beat up tub, but now I realize you meant the new tub. Yes, it will get a liner inside, but I really doubt a cage. I don't care for the bolt in ones, and I don't like how the Poly ones requires cutting of the A/C vents. I've read the air restriction is noticeable. I like the Genright DIY cage, but its overkill for my needs, and $2,800.

Last edited:

Eezybreezy08

I had a similar issue with doing this with the rock skins. Just do your best to flatten everything out to prevent future water, crap, creatures, etc. from building up in any voids that may remain between any imperfections in the body and the guards. I'd also hit those exposed portions with primer and paint.

I agree with this guy. I have the same problem and I already have a little rust. So I'm gonna hit it with a little rustoleum myself before I put my corners on that I got for Christmas

jkwebbie

*edit

- At first I was thinking you were meaning to cage/liner the beat up tub, but now I realize you meant the new tub. Yes, it will get a liner inside, but I really doubt a cage. I don't care for the bolt in ones, and I don't like how the Poly ones requires cutting of the A/C vents. I've read the air restriction is noticeable. I like the Genright DIY cage, but its overkill for my needs, and $2,800.

I'm in the same boat with cages. I don't trust a bolt in cage and the Genright is really expensive. I think I'm just going to shop around the local 4x4 shops and see how much they charge for a custom weld in cage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmiller5

I'm in the same boat with cages. I don't trust a bolt in cage and the Genright is really expensive. I think I'm just going to shop around the local 4x4 shops and see how much they charge for a custom weld in cage

Let me know what you find out. I talked with a few different shops and most of them started around $1600 and went on up from there depending on how extreme I wanted to get with it. My main concern would be the ability to utilize factory hard/soft stop still, which most of them felt wouldn't be an issue, but said may increase the price.

jkwebbie

Let me know what you find out. I talked with a few different shops and most of them started around $1600 and went on up from there depending on how extreme I wanted to get with it. My main concern would be the ability to utilize factory hard/soft stop still, which most of them felt wouldn't be an issue, but said may increase the price.
I've got a buddy that's fabed up a few bumpers and cages for people so I'm gonna see how much he would charge for me lol. Hopefully be cheaper than the Genright cage I want.

RebelconJk

I've got a buddy that's fabed up a few bumpers and cages for people so I'm gonna see how much he would charge for me lol. Hopefully be cheaper than the Genright cage I want.

The synergy weld in cage is pretty bad ass full DIY kit for $880.00. That's the kit i'm more then likely going with.

metalic

Leave your jeep and credit card with me for a few months and you'll be set

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom