Upgrade advise

Hangemhigh1

I'm writing this to get advise from you on whether what I plan to do as far as upgrades to my 2013 JKUR. This is my daily driver and I like to go out on the trail as much as I can given my schedule. ( once or twice) every other month I mainly use the local fire roads but would like to one day try out my limited skills on trying to climb something out of my comfort zone. My jeep is a manual with Dana 44s a 2.5" teraflex spring lift on 35" BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I have a teraflex monster track bar as well with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I have 45,000 miles on it. The upgrades I'm looking to do are as follows:
C Gussets on the front axle
Dynatrac ball joints with tube seals.
Control arm skids
4:88 gears
The purpose for the question is to gain insight on whether any of these upgrade are necessary for what I use my rig for. Hope I don't sound dopey. Thank you in advance for the insight.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
C Gussets are good to have as without them, you will see bending. Dynatrac ball joints are the best replacement you can buy if you're needing to replace what you have. Tube seals are unnecessary but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, they won't hurt anything. Control arm skids are far from necessary but will help to keep your factory mounts from getting too beat up. If you plan on sticking with 35's, 4:88 gears are a good match for them.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm writing this to get advise from you on whether what I plan to do as far as upgrades to my 2013 JKUR. This is my daily driver and I like to go out on the trail as much as I can given my schedule. ( once or twice) every other month I mainly use the local fire roads but would like to one day try out my limited skills on trying to climb something out of my comfort zone. My jeep is a manual with Dana 44s a 2.5" teraflex spring lift on 35" BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I have a teraflex monster track bar as well with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I have 45,000 miles on it. The upgrades I'm looking to do are as follows:
C Gussets on the front axle
Dynatrac ball joints with tube seals.
Control arm skids
4:88 gears
The purpose for the question is to gain insight on whether any of these upgrade are necessary for what I use my rig for. Hope I don't sound dopey. Thank you in advance for the insight.

My opinion based on what you said you are using the Jeep for:

Gussets- good idea if you're bouncing off rocks more often.

Ball joints, no need to replace unless they're worn. But if you do, ProSteer is as good as it gets.

Tube seals-not needed at all.

Control arm skids, I wouldn't myself. I've bent my brackets pretty good and they still serve their purpose.

4.88 gears-not needed. But if you want better road performance on hills, a good idea.

J

JKDream

Very solid advice so far.
I personally think the control arms skids are well worth it.
You never know when you're going to slip off a rock or drive over something you thought you'd clear.
Once they get bent, it's much much easier to rip them off, and that's not a fun trail repair.

GraniteCrystal

C Gussets are good to have as without them, you will see bending. Dynatrac ball joints are the best replacement you can buy if you're needing to replace what you have. Tube seals are unnecessary but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, they won't hurt anything. Control arm skids are far from necessary but will help to keep your factory mounts from getting too beat up. If you plan on sticking with 35's, 4:88 gears are a good match for them.
What's your opinion on EVO rock stars? Good upgrade? Unnecessary?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

ScoobyCarolanNC

Just a couple of notes to add on, all based off what I've read here for the last 2 years. I don't have personal experience with these.

If you're going to do ball joints, do the Cs then too. I've read that welding can cause ball joint issues from the heat.

Does your Jeep have 3.73 gears now or 4.10s? It's stamped on the axle. If you have 3.73s the jump to 4.88s might give you the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my duck blind.

A.J.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Good upgrade. Especially if you have a very negative offset wheel or spacers that leave the lower shock mount just hanging out there waiting to get caught on stuff. Just have to be mindful of shock length vs bump stops so you don't bottom out shocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've run them in the past and I like the a lot! The only thing that's kind of a bummer is that you may need to get new shorter shocks to run them. Aside from that, the added clearance they provide at a point that gets hung up so often is so worth it.

J

JKDream

I've run them in the past and I like the a lot! The only thing that's kind of a bummer is that you may need to get new shorter shocks to run them. Aside from that, the added clearance they provide at a point that gets hung up so often is so worth it.

If you're bump stopped correctly and have some extra up travel in the shocks you'd also gain some extra droop :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're bump stopped correctly and have some extra up travel in the shocks you'd also gain some extra droop :D

Like I said, "you may need to get new shorter shocks". Truth be told, more times than not, you do need them as most people are only left with about 2"-3" of up travel after installing them. At least, that's what I've seen. It all depends on what shocks they got with the lift kit they're running.

Top Bottom