1350 Drive Shaft with a Dana 30?

xxJWPxx

I'm looking to upgrade my front drive shaft and from what I've read on here 1350 is the way to go opposed to 1310. My question (not knowing much about this subject) is would a 1350 drive shaft on a Dana 30 with 4.88 gears pose any issues? I've got a 2016 JKU Sport with manual transmission and a Rock Krawler 3.5" flex lift installed. Currently running 35" tires and will be going to 37's in the future when I can replace the front axle (maybe a year or two down the road).

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to replace my front driveshaft before I go to Moab in April for EJS. Along with c-gussets for the Dana 30.

J

JKDream

It wouldn't cause any issues with your differential.
It will eliminate that driveline bind from the oem shaft though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I'd do it especially being that you're already planning for a future with a new axle and 37's.

JK_0311

Glad I saw this, I was doing some research on which front drive shaft to get.

Saw people debating 1350 or 1310. I plan on upgrading to a pr44 by summers end and 37s by winter. Baby steps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brand? Also, when replacing the from drive shaft is there anything else I'll need to swap out at this point versus when I upgrade to pr44?

Thanks in advance to any that can offer some tips. I'm learning as I go.

Sent from the porcelain throne

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Saw people debating 1350 or 1310. I plan on upgrading to a pr44 by summers end and 37s by winter. Baby steps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brand? Also, when replacing the from drive shaft is there anything else I'll need to swap out at this point versus when I upgrade to pr44?

I have Adams. 1310 front and rear. They recommend 1310 up to 37s and 1350s for over 37s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evil

I run Adams 1350's and 37's The new shafts will come with everything you need like the yokes, at least Adams will. Make sure your clear on what your getting so you don't tear off the stock stuff and realize your parts don't fit. Flex it out and make sure everything clears too. My 1350 front would hit the skid plate, the 1310 wouldn't.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

So long as the shaft you get comes with Neapco or Spicer u-joints, you should be fine running any brand. JE Reel, Coast, Adams are some of the ones that come to mind and have done well for many. If you have a local shop nearby, I would even recommend you have one made for you as you'll definitely use them again when it comes time to service/balance your shaft. Your new shaft should come with a new yokes but if not, you will need them.

I have Adams. 1310 front and rear. They recommend 1310 up to 37s and 1350s for over 37s.

Back in the early 2007-08, everyone was recommending 1310 up to 37's and initially, I went that route too. While the recommendation is good on a TJ, it didn't hold up for me on my JK which of course, is much heavier. Needless to say, I personally find that recommendation to be in error. Of course, that's just my opinion and based on my experiences.

jesse3638

Hooked
Here is what the Rubicon can do to a 1310 rear shaft. I too followed the rule of1310's for up to 37's. I now have a 1350 rear and will be upgrading the front to one also.

IMAG2048_1.jpg

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

I've run JE Reel 1310s for more than 2 years on 37s with a trussed and gusseted d30. No issues beyond normal maintenance.

I am moving to Adams 1350s with my new 60s based on the deal I got as a combo with the intention of moving to 40s the next time I need tires.

As Eddie mentioned check local. If the cost is close, I'd go local as they will -hopefully- take care of you when it breaks or needs rebalanced. Just ask what they use and stick with Spicer or neapco.

Top Bottom