Easiest Way to Disassemble the Plastic Trim Around the Subwoofer and Rollbar

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm installing my CB and need to run the coax. My plan is to run it in through the gate, along the existing wiring on the passenger side to the glove box area. I've been using the write up on here but I'm looking for any tips in disassembling the plastic trim around the Sub and rollbar so I can run it behind there. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

IMAG2188.jpg

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I'm installing my CB and need to run the coax. My plan is to run it in through the gate, along the existing wiring on the passenger side to the glove box area. I've been using the write up on here but I'm looking for any tips in disassembling the plastic trim around the Sub and rollbar so I can run it behind there. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 237258

When I ran mine I didn't have to take that apart. I was able to slide the wiring between the top of the tub and the plastic underneath and then out/in where the existing wires go to the gate.

I may have used a hanger or something to get the coax to that opening. Can't recall. But know I didn't have to disassemble the sub area.

I used some small black zip ties to hold it to the existing wiring.

BaddestCross

I don't personally have the sub, but from what I've read, there's a couple of bolts at the base of the sub that you remove and then you can just pop the rest of it apart with a plastic trim blade or, if you're careful, a small screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

tdougherty81

When I ran mine I didn't have to take that apart. I was able to slide the wiring between the top of the tub and the plastic underneath and then out/in where the existing wires go to the gate.

I may have used a hanger or something to get the coax to that opening. Can't recall. But know I didn't have to disassemble the sub area.

I did the same thing.

jesse3638

Hooked

Yep, what Jags said. No need to remove sub. Should be able to pry plastic back a bit and get it up in there.

Here is a video of my install if it helps.

https://youtu.be/pO4U7RvLyzU

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

I did the same thing.

Thanks everyone I'll give that a shot. Did anyone install a separate ground wire at the antenna mount? I'm not sure if I'll have a good ground considering the powder coat on all the parts and don't want to go filing it all off of every contact point.

J

JKDream

Just a heads up, be careful zip tying the coax to the wire loom from the tailgate.
Mine ended up getting kinked while closing the tailgate and eventually frayed apart.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Thanks everyone I'll give that a shot. Did anyone install a separate ground wire at the antenna mount? I'm not sure if I'll have a good ground considering the powder coat on all the parts and don't want to go filing it all off of every contact point.

Yes, I ran the ground to the tie down bolt that is on the edge of the tub close to the hinge and not too far from the subwoofer.

J

JKDream

I've not had any issues in over 3-4 years. Can't wrench worth a shit, but guess I can run coax OK. Lol.

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the quality of the coax I used.
Figured I'd give him a heads up anyway :D

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you cut the zip ties on either end of the factory wiring sleeve you can fit the coax inside it and then secure it back in place. Makes for a cleaner install and will prevent the coax from kinking

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LARSONEM

As others have already said, no need to take anything apart other than removing the cover on the tailgate. There is plenty of room to get the coax through. I put mine in a piece of quarter inch cable jacket from where it comes through the tailgate all the way up to the console. I did run an antenna ground in to the body as I have my antenna mounted on a Teraflex heavy hinged carrier. The only place I wire tied it is inside the tailgate. The rest of the way it just lays along the side of the tub then on the floor in the back seat under the carpet, along side of the console under the carpet then tucked along under the passenger side of the console. At the front of the console I looped it around under the dash and brought it out by the accelerator pedal. I don't have my CB permanently mounted. I have Velcro on the CB and on the side of the console. It comes out easy when I don't need it in the Jeep. I have a two pin disconnect for power and I tapped into the cigarette lighter wire (quite a job) by the emergency brake to get full time 12v power that wasn't switched. If the CB isn't in the Jeep it's easy to tuck the power and coax up under the dash in front of the console for a nice clean look. IMG_2023.jpg IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2025.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I got it all installed. Very similarly to how everyone has suggested. I installed a ground wire which attaches to the cargo hook as sharkey mentioned and like the pics above. Now the problem I'm having is SWR. I can't get it out of the red. I'm not even sure where to start. I've checked for shorts and have none. I have ground continuity at the coax end. Where should I start looking to bring this down?

J

JKDream

Well I got it all installed. Very similarly to how everyone has suggested. I installed a ground wire which attaches to the cargo hook as sharkey mentioned and like the pics above. Now the problem I'm having is SWR. I can't get it out of the red. I'm not even sure where to start. I've checked for shorts and have none. I have ground continuity at the coax end. Where should I start looking to bring this down?

Two things - Make sure the antenna is mounted properly (isolator), if it is below the mount you are shorting the antenna.
- The mount you used likely needs to have some paint removed, and isn't grounding properly.
ant-mount.jpg

I originally made the mistake and put the isolator in the wrong spot, SWR was horrid.

jesse3638

Hooked
Two things - Make sure the antenna is mounted properly (isolator), if it is below the mount you are shorting the antenna.
- The mount you used likely needs to have some paint removed, and isn't grounding properly.
View attachment 237319

I originally made the mistake and put the isolator in the wrong spot, SWR was horrid.
I have it mounted like your diagram. I've checked for shorts using my multimeter and have no continuity between the center pin and the outer connecting barrel. I also installed a dedicated ground wire from the antenna to the chassis am confirmed this by checking continuity between the chassis and connecting barrel. My first thought was a bad ground but it seems good.

Top Bottom