Rust issues for gas tank skid?

cmireles

Has anyone had any rusting issues with their gas tank skids? My jeep was up on the lift the other day and while I try my best to pressure wash as much mud off as possible, I found there to be a nice layer between the tank and the skid. I'm sure it's been there for a very long time as well, and it doesn't look like there's any super effective way of clearing it all out, as there aren't a lot of holes or gaps to spray into.

Kind of makes me paranoid that my skid could be rusting pretty bad from the inside out. The jeep in question is a 2010 2 door but I suppose the same could be asked in regards to jku's as well

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
Need to do more wheelin! Keep it rock polished.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I have an '07 unlimited and my tank skid is rusting from the inside out. I do preserve/paint my entire undercarriage every year or two since I bought it in 2010. At that time it had been in CT since it was leased by another owner and the salt had not been kind to the undercarriage. It took me three days to preserve the undercarriage and my stock rock rails back then. I never dropped the gas tank skid back then, but I did take the outside of it down to bare metal before priming and painting.

So fast forward a few years, I actually got stuck on a rock about 2 years ago in Uwharrie when I pre-ran it with Mr. Ty. I had to use a lot of power (rear locker engaged while in 4 wheel low) to get over it...it felt like I was high ended until I got free. I was very close to getting out and using my winch. After I got off of the trail I noticed what had happened. I had a 3-inch ovalish hole in my skid plate just before where the gas tank portion of the skid starts. So I start pressing around it and portions of the steel/rust (with a layer of wet muddy sludge) chunked out in places. So I grabbed a flat head screw driver and tested the entire skid. Luckily for me the ski plate was only compromised in this section. So I used the screw driver to remove the failed section and opened the hole up to about 4 inches. I cleaned out the remaining crud sitting on top and painted everything I could. I didn't weld on a new plate because I figured I would just replace the entire skid because I'm sure it will fail for the same reasons in other locations within the next couple of years.

Frankly I don't see any drainage areas for mud and crud to be washed out, so I'm pretty sure it just sits in there and corrodes the metal on the inside of the skid. I don't see anything else to do about it unless holes are drilled into the skid, which I won't do unless it is removed and the gas tank taken out. So I'm a few years, I plan to get a spare/used gas tank skid, modify and pressure it and then replace my current one.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Top Bottom