Front Driveshaft or Rear Locker

xxJWPxx

I'm getting my Jeep prepped for my first trip to Moab for EJS this year and had pretty much decided to replace my front driveshaft prior to the trip since I've got a 3.5" lift installed. In doing so I was looking at the CV over the exhaust to see how close it was to making contact. It's a little over 2 inches from making contact on level ground. This got me thinking that maybe I ought to put the front driveshaft money towards a rear locker for this trip and do the drive shaft later (can't afford to do both prior to). I've currently got a limited slip in the rear 44 and dana 30 up front so I'd only be doing the rear locker for now as I don't want to put any more money into the 30. I'm not planning on going crazy at EJS but would like to get some more challenging runs in if possible and thinking the locked rear would help with that. If it was your rig what would you do?

My current set up is 3.5" RK Flex lift, 35's. 4.88 gearing with Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 with Limited Slip in the rear. Manual Transmission.

Here are a few pics of the front driveshaft over the exhaust:

fr driveshaft CV 2.jpg

fr driveshaft CV 1.jpg

fr driveshaft CV 3.jpg

jorgelrod

Hooked
If you're going to change the D30, the driveshaft you buy today might have to be shortened or replaced, I'd do the locker and the ds when you upgrade your axle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'd do the locker. My driveshaft is much closer, but I'm waiting until the boot actually tears or actually starts failing before dropping the money.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I'd do the locker. My driveshaft is much closer, but I'm waiting until the boot actually tears or actually starts failing before dropping the money.

This is a good point.. I have a 3.5" RK lift, and my stock drive shaft lasted 25,000miles. But it did fail, and who know when yours will too. I would rather have 4wd than a rear locker

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm getting my Jeep prepped for my first trip to Moab for EJS this year and had pretty much decided to replace my front driveshaft prior to the trip since I've got a 3.5" lift installed. In doing so I was looking at the CV over the exhaust to see how close it was to making contact. It's a little over 2 inches from making contact on level ground. This got me thinking that maybe I ought to put the front driveshaft money towards a rear locker for this trip and do the drive shaft later (can't afford to do both prior to). I've currently got a limited slip in the rear 44 and dana 30 up front so I'd only be doing the rear locker for now as I don't want to put any more money into the 30. I'm not planning on going crazy at EJS but would like to get some more challenging runs in if possible and thinking the locked rear would help with that. If it was your rig what would you do?

My current set up is 3.5" RK Flex lift, 35's. 4.88 gearing with Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 with Limited Slip in the rear. Manual Transmission.

Here are a few pics of the front driveshaft over the exhaust:

If you break your front drive shaft you probably won't be able to do any trails even if you have a locker. I'd do the drive shaft. No personal experience at Moab but reading online reviews leads me to believe that the type of terrain breaks drive lines the most. You can always get a pull from another rig to get over a big obstacle.

Plus, you might get a good deal on a Locker at EJS. I'm assuming that the vendors out there give some sort of "event only" deals.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I would do the drive shaft. If you have a true trac LS rear, make sure you do not use synthetic lube. Makes a big difference in its ability to limit slip, and you will be near to locker performance. The drive shaft failing would make for a rough trip.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom