Atlas 4Speed for JKU with Auto

Coop

Caught the Bug
Atlas folks say they do not have a 4 speed TC communication module for the automatic transmission. They said the computer would go to limp mode with any low range gear selection other than what is programmed such as 2.72/1 for a Sport. I guess my question is does this matter for low range? Doesn't the computer turn most everything off when you go to low range anyway? If I'm in low range with a selected gear like 3.8 I am probably not going to anything beyond second gear anyway.
It's likely I'm missing something here, so I'm turning to the experts at WAL.
The only option for an auto appears to be the 2 speed so I would probably go to the 4.3/1.

Ddays

Hooked
Whelp, that settles it: LS3 conversion comin up! :cheesy:

Seriously, I have nothing on the Atlas answer but I have noticed my stabilty system kicking in ever so slighty in 4-LO a couple times. In fact it did that to me today coming up a steep hill and I was slipping a little in the snow. I thought the system was supposed to turn completely off in 4-LO but maybe that's not the case?

ravenmad

4 speed atlas

My understanding after a long conversation with A.A. was that they never developed the 4 speed T.C. for the A580 because of the electronics. I don't even think you can pull the J9 fuse and re-flash to the desired ratio or run a trail dash or equivalent to chest the system. I have a 4 speed atlas in my 4 door, however, that is because I am running a built 545RFE behind a Hemi (pre penstar ). I think, (and this could be completely wrong) that the function of the wheel speed sensors pre 2012 is different than 2012 and newer and hence effects the way the computer see's vehicle speed. JUST A THOUGHT... But my 545FRE and speedo work just fine no matter what gear Im in. I say all 4 speed atlas conversions should come with a hemi swap lolol .... Also, the A580 is a much better transmission than the 545RFE, hands down, you just can't run a 4 speed T.C behind them is all... Wish there was a way and Im sure if there was A.A. would have done it, after all, they are in the business of making money.

Coop

Caught the Bug
My understanding after a long conversation with A.A. was that they never developed the 4 speed T.C. for the A580 because of the electronics. I don't even think you can pull the J9 fuse and re-flash to the desired ratio or run a trail dash or equivalent to chest the system. I have a 4 speed atlas in my 4 door, however, that is because I am running a built 545RFE behind a Hemi (pre penstar ). I think, (and this could be completely wrong) that the function of the wheel speed sensors pre 2012 is different than 2012 and newer and hence effects the way the computer see's vehicle speed. JUST A THOUGHT... But my 545FRE and speedo work just fine no matter what gear Im in. I say all 4 speed atlas conversions should come with a hemi swap lolol .... Also, the A580 is a much better transmission than the 545RFE, hands down, you just can't run a 4 speed T.C behind them is all... Wish there was a way and Im sure if there was A.A. would have done it, after all, they are in the business of making money.

Gotcha! AA is more than willing to sell me a 2 speed. Ha! If they don't have it able to mate to my auto tranny, I guess that's what I'll be doing. I would love to have the other ratios though. I could go with a Rubi TC but I like the way the Atlas is built.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
Whelp, that settles it: LS3 conversion comin up! :cheesy:

Seriously, I have nothing on the Atlas answer but I have noticed my stabilty system kicking in ever so slighty in 4-LO a couple times. In fact it did that to me today coming up a steep hill and I was slipping a little in the snow. I thought the system was supposed to turn completely off in 4-LO but maybe that's not the case?

Don't know about this. Mine has never kicked back in when I'm in low. As a mater of fact it freezes my outdoor temperature and compass too.

ScoobyCarolanNC

The AEV Procal has settings for various atlas t-cases, but maybe just for hemi swaps? Hit them up, maybe they solved it.

Sent from my duck blind.

BigPrince

It's been a year but last March I put a 4.3:1 Atlas 2sp in my 2014 auto rubicon. When I talked to AA, there was no ability to put a 4sp in to a 2012+ auto. The computer only knows one ratio and you can change that ratio with most programmers, AEV, etc (I'm using a Superchips Flascal) but since it doesn't have a place for a second ratio, if you had a 4sp and went low low, the computer would freak out due to the values not matching. The only thing the AA electronics do is tell the computer when you're in 4wd and low. It may not have the granny option but the 2sp works great.

Coop

Caught the Bug
It's been a year but last March I put a 4.3:1 Atlas 2sp in my 2014 auto rubicon. When I talked to AA, there was no ability to put a 4sp in to a 2012+ auto. The computer only knows one ratio and you can change that ratio with most programmers, AEV, etc (I'm using a Superchips Flascal) but since it doesn't have a place for a second ratio, if you had a 4sp and went low low, the computer would freak out due to the values not matching. The only thing the AA electronics do is tell the computer when you're in 4wd and low. It may not have the granny option but the 2sp works great.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you pull your Rubi TC for an Atlas? Basically the same ratio. I like the ability to select front or rear only for hi and low plus the strength of the Atlas design. Was this what you were looking for?

BigPrince

If you don't mind my asking, why did you pull your Rubi TC for an Atlas? Basically the same ratio. I like the ability to select front or rear only for hi and low plus the strength of the Atlas design. Was this what you were looking for?

Front digs when I want to reposition the front on an obstacle without the rear. I was doing axles and had to get driveshafts anyway so figured I'd go ahead and do it.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Any more input? Give up on the 4 speed?

Brute

Hooked
I was looking into a 4 speed Atlas as well for my JK6...after several conversations with AA, it simply wouldn't work with the W5A580 auto...but the 2-speed Atlas II is definitely a strength upgrade over the NV241OR...

Coop

Caught the Bug
I was looking into a 4 speed Atlas as well for my JK6...after several conversations with AA, it simply wouldn't work with the W5A580 auto...but the 2-speed Atlas II is definitely a strength upgrade over the NV241OR...

Did your factory skid still fit or did you have to use an aftermarket skid?

Top Bottom