Upgrading Diff Covers

BaddestCross

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to change the oil in my differentials and figure this is a good time to upgrade the covers. I'm probably going with the Poison Spyder covers. My concern is that I could've sworn that I read somewhere that there is a possibility of something hitting aftermarket covers while flexing. Am I remembering correctly, or is this only with a certain lift or what?

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

bladerunnerJK

No the older PSC covers did stick out to far and would hit the track bar if you didn't have an aftermarket one. They have since made them a little smaller and now will fit with the stock track bar.

Last edited:

10abadilla/jk

I just upgraded mine to bombshell. There seems to be plenty of room for the front axle. As far as I know they tried to make them as close to stock size as possible to prevent from hitting.

Straight from the website.

The Dana 30 Bombshell can now be used on STOCK Jeep Wrangler JK and TJ, front or rear axles, with no requirement for aftermarket track bars or suspension modifications! Now you can install the Bombshell Dana 30 Diff Cover on to your bone stock Jeep, straight off the showroom floor! This re-design also includes moving the gear oil fill hole to the stock fluid level height so there's no more research, guesswork or measuring”simply fill the diff to the level of the fill hole.

I did just see that you have a Rubicon. But I believe the specs are the same for the d44.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

No problems with mine on rubi axles, stock suspension and a leveling kit.
Great time to add lube lockers also. Nice to be able to pull diff covers during oil change for inspection without having to re rtv them.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I had installed my bombshells while on stock suspension and didn't have any clearance problems. As stated above, they were redesigned after having clearance problems and the fill hole was also moved. It could still be possible to get the old ones depending on where you order. It's probably unlikely but you might want to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
are your stock covers damaged or are you going for a new look?

i have a PR44 up front now but still have the stock cover in the rear.

the stock covers are strong, I've seen them take hits and get dents, but haven't seen any crack or break to the point they were rendered useless.

only issue i had to deal with was grinding the small portion of the cover that hangs just below the housing that can snag on rocks and cause the cover to peel back enough to leak.

unless you've damaged your covers or just looking for a new look, i'd save the money for other mods.

Rottenbelly

Lube lockers?

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

They are a reuseable gasket for the covers. I have been using them for over 5 years on one jeep and have them on my new jeep. Never had a problem with them.
But i remove my covers every time i change the fluids to inspect. I dont want to have to scrape old rtv off and reseal everytime. The lube locker cuts down all the time it would take to do that.

Top Bottom