Wrangler JK Steering

sven

Hi Togehter !

So , after Install an G2 Frontend I have big Problems with bumpsteer ... I dont know how to fix it ... Have anybody the same Problems ?
For the First time I got the drag Link in the top oder the Knuckle .. as I put the drag Link in the lower Position Like the Stock drag Link the bump steer is many better than before ... But its still a little ... Can anybody help me ?
Axle Assambly : G2 core 44 35 spline
Steering System : Currie Currectlync
Stabilizer : Fox ATS
Knuckles : Stock
Short Arms : Rubicon Express
Track Bar : JKS MFG
Lift : AEV 3,5" with KING Racing Shocks
Brackets : only Control Arm Lowering Brackets from AEV
Rearend : Currie RockJock 60
Rear Track Bar : JKS MFG

Thanks for Help

Sent from my S60 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
If you didn't have bump steer before the axle install and now you do, something has to be loose somewhere. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the Jeep NOT running and look to see if anything is loose.

Edit: Does the G2 axle come with a raised track bar mount? If it doesn't that could be your problem right there. looking at your photos it kinda looks like it doesn't.

Edit 2: AND it looks like you would benefit from a drag link flip!

Last edited:

sven

Thanks for your massage :eek:)

so the Axle dosn´t come with n raised Track bar mount , that may could be the Problem ... but , how to lift the track bar ? o_O may with an lowering bracket on the frame side from Rubicon Express or any other mfg. ?

i also tighten all bolts and i checked this one more time

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So you started with the drag link over the knuckle? How, did you drill it and insert it? Because once you do that, you can't change it back I don't think. So are you saying that it didn't work then you went out and bought another knuckle to put it back in the OEM location?

Here's some of your pics with imaginary lines drawn on them. The drag link and track bar need to be parallel. The WHITE lines are where you are now, that's why you have bump steer, your current set up is not parallel. The RED lines are if you were to lower the track bar at the axle. To me it looks like that track bar is raised, but hard to say for sure. The BLUE lines are if you leave the track bar where it is and do a drag link flip. Personally, I would do that if it were me. I don't see how you had MORE bumpsteer with the drag link on top.

IMG_20170109_143356.jpg

IMG_20170109_143402.jpg

IMG_20170109_143356 (1).jpg

IMG_20170109_143402 (1).jpg

FYI, This is a factory track bar bracket showing the lower location:

DSC04145.JPG

Last edited:

sven

yes i startet with the drag link on the top of the knuckle . This knuckle is drilled with an insert , it´s the insert from the AEV high steer kit . so i can switch the insert to install the drag link from bottom or from the top ...

1. set up : drag link up and track bar up ( steering wheel spinning by driving over a street wave )

2. set up : Drag link up and track bar on the lower hole of the axle ( horrible ... if you go to Drive mode without driving the steering wheel is spinning )

3. set up : drag link on the bottom of the drag link mount on the Knuckle and the Track bar on the highest mount ( steering wheel is by driving trough a street wave a little , but a lot by approach )

WJCO

Meme King
yes i startet with the drag link on the top of the knuckle . This knuckle is drilled with an insert , it´s the insert from the AEV high steer kit . so i can switch the insert to install the drag link from bottom or from the top ...

1. set up : drag link up and track bar up ( steering wheel spinning by driving over a street wave )

2. set up : Drag link up and track bar on the lower hole of the axle ( horrible ... if you go to Drive mode without driving the steering wheel is spinning )

3. set up : drag link on the bottom of the drag link mount on the Knuckle and the Track bar on the highest mount ( steering wheel is by driving trough a street wave a little , but a lot by approach )

I'm not fully understanding what you're saying regarding the 'steering spinning,' but at least I understand now that you switched the insert either way, I didn't realize you could do that. But no matter what, you need those bars to be parallel. It almost sounds to me like you might have play somewhere.

Bump steer is more like when you hit a bump with one wheel, the steering wheel will jerk one way and usually just once.

A shimmy is more of the steering wheel going back and forth due to play somewhere.

Death wobble shakes the steering wheel and the vehicle so bad that you have to stop the vehicle to stop the shaking.

sven

I'm not fully understanding what you're saying regarding the 'steering spinning,' but at least I understand now that you switched the insert either way, I didn't realize you could do that. But no matter what, you need those bars to be parallel. It almost sounds to me like you might have play somewhere.

Bump steer is more like when you hit a bump with one wheel, the steering wheel will jerk one way and usually just once.

A shimmy is more of the steering wheel going back and forth due to play somewhere.

Death wobble shakes the steering wheel and the vehicle so bad that you have to stop the vehicle to stop the shaking.

sorry , the steering wheel is spinning if i hit a bump on the complete axle ( two wheels ) like a wave on the highway .. that the steering wheel is spinning by playing , thats normal ...

for example : if i stand on the street and i go on full throttle out of stood out , the steering wheel turns

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Are you sure the draglink adapter is actually tight in the knuckle? I had this issue with using the correct drill bit, which made the hole larger than needed and there was play in the draglink and the wheel would jump around after a bump or anything in the road since it was not tight like it needed to be.

Ddays

Hooked
I would expand the bump steer explanation. It doesn't necessarily pull the wheel to the left or right, it is more of a floating weird sensation created by the body and the axle moving out of phase with each other when you go over a bump or especially when you drive over a large dip in the road. It is really an odd sensation and when you're driving at speed, say 65 or so and go over a bridge that has a dip or raised approach it can be downright scary.

sven

Are you sure the draglink adapter is actually tight in the knuckle? I had this issue with using the correct drill bit, which made the hole larger than needed and there was play in the draglink and the wheel would jump around after a bump or anything in the road since it was not tight like it needed to be.

i hope it :D:D

the drilled hole and the insert was also installed by the first ( stock ) axle , and i never had any Problems with bump steer ... the Lift is an AEV lift , but trough the install of the two aftermarket axles , all brackets came out , only the lowering brackets for the Control armes are still there ... maybe i have a problem because of uninstall the front trackbar bracket ?

WJCO

Meme King
for example : if i stand on the street and i go on full throttle out of stood out , the steering wheel turns

Sounds like a torque steer. Check that ALL control arm bushings are tight and drop brackets are tight. If you have an automatic, you can put your left foot firmly on the brake, put the vehicle in drive or reverse, then gas the engine with the left foot. This will torque the powertrain and you can see bushing play. I prefer to use a camera on a tripod and film each bushing, then go back and watch the video. You could have a friend operate the pedals while you look underneath if you trust them enough. Be very careful doing this. I prefer the camera method. You may have to torque it in drive, then torque it again in reverse to check for bushing movement. You need to check the front and the rear, ALL 8 arms, ALL 16 bushings.

sven

ok i check all this things and i will give you reply as soonest as possible . But i think the problem is generated by the trackbar ... i think i have to raise it on the same level like the AEV front track bar bracket ... or lower it on the frame side , or what do you think ?

for the first time i have to tighten the johnny joints from the control arms .. tehy´re a little lightly

WJCO

Meme King
ok i check all this things and i will give you reply as soonest as possible . But i think the problem is generated by the trackbar ... i think i have to raise it on the same level like the AEV front track bar bracket ... or lower it on the frame side , or what do you think ?

I could be wrong, but I believe as far as the rear goes, it only needs to make sure the axle is centered side to side. I don't think you need to mess with it.

for the first time i have to tighten the johnny joints from the control arms .. tehy´re a little lightly

That could be the issue right there. They shouldn't have any play except rotational play as the axle compresses and drops.

sven

I could be wrong, but I believe as far as the rear goes, it only needs to make sure the axle is centered side to side. I don't think you need to mess with it.

That could be the issue right there. They shouldn't have any play except rotational play as the axle compresses and drops.

ok , i tighten them , a few of the Johnny Joints have a little play , so i can spin the joints with my fingers ... i thinks thats to lightly ...

but what do you think about the trackbar bracket ? on the stock axle is the AEV bracket , i belive its higher than the bracket on the G2 Axle :idontknow: , but the bracket does not fit on the G2 axle , the tubes from the G2 are bigger as the 44 ones

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi Togehter !

So , after Install an G2 Frontend I have big Problems with bumpsteer ... I dont know how to fix it ... Have anybody the same Problems ?
For the First time I got the drag Link in the top oder the Knuckle .. as I put the drag Link in the lower Position Like the Stock drag Link the bump steer is many better than before ... But its still a little ... Can anybody help me ?
Axle Assambly : G2 core 44 35 spline
Steering System : Currie Currectlync
Stabilizer : Fox ATS
Knuckles : Stock
Short Arms : Rubicon Express
Track Bar : JKS MFG
Lift : AEV 3,5" with KING Racing Shocks
Brackets : only Control Arm Lowering Brackets from AEV
Rearend : Currie RockJock 60
Rear Track Bar : JKS MFG

Thanks for Help

with the amount of lift that you have you should be using a drag link flip. - you posted the update before I finished and see that you do have the drag link flipped and yes, you need the proper trackbar bracket as you show.
you can order a bracket to fit the larger axle tube or modify and weld your existing bracket on.

Last edited:

sven

Hi Togehter ... Thanks for your help ... After raise the track bar the issue was gone ��������

in that step i also flipped the drag link on the top of the knuckle :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom