Bad Throw-Out Bearing?

Fuhaxian

Hey Jeepers!

Got a new issue today and unfortunately I don't think I can repair this one so I might bring it into the shop but I was wondering if you could help me find out the source of this noise, I think it's a bad throw-out bearing but I'm no expert. The problem started today on my way home from work and noticed it over the blaring music so... can't turn it up to fix the problem...

Anyways, here's a youtube video of what it sounds like. It goes away when I press the clutch in slightly but if I push it in at different increments it can make it sound worse like shown in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qp9h3FgmBs

Thank you.

jagrubb99

Hmmm. I thought typically with a throwout bearing it should go away when the trans is in neutral, at least thats how it was on my dad's subi anyway. The noise really sounds like a throwout but i can't tell you that I'm 100% certain. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1031 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

It sounds like the throw-out bearing is completely seized and that sound you are hearing is the bearing housing rubbing on the throw out linkage. Try to get that fixed ASAP because it sounds like it's chewing up other components in there.

Fuhaxian

Sounds like a throw out bearing... how many miles on the rig? Might wanna do the clutch while your in there

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the reply, now most people are shocked on the mileage my Jeep has, I bought it was a lot of miles and have myself put a lot of miles on it. ~172,000 miles so at least you can expect that out of your rig with only the items you'd imagine to wear out would wear out. The rear main seal is also leaking which I mentioned to the shop that I brought it too so I'm going to end up getting that replaced.

It sounds like the throw-out bearing is completely seized and that sound you are hearing is the bearing housing rubbing on the throw out linkage. Try to get that fixed ASAP because it sounds like it's chewing up other components in there.

Definitely right on that, after I heard those sounds, I quickly without pushing it too hard brought it back to the parking lot and called a few shops around. I'd normally be willing to do repairs myself but after watching my buddy take his NV4500 out of his diesel I elected not to deal with the hassle of trying to take it out and the wear these salt roads have on every bolt underneath my Jeep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom