Rear main seal replacement cost?

trailless

Caught the Bug
My rear main seal started leaking again. It was replaced under warranty on 1/25/2016. It started leaking under a year but I'm over the 12k mile warranty. The dealer says if they find mud in the bell housing that I'll have to pay for the replacement.

They quoted me $1780 and said it'd take 12 hours in labor to replace the rear main seal. Does anyone know if that's about right?

2014 JKUR auto.

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
The only one I have is of the recent leak and I really didn't get a good picture. If you look at the two bolts you can see drops forming. It's not much and not even enough for me to notice on the dip stick. But my parking spot has a rather large oil spot...

IMG_1362.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cboone

There are other options like Lucas stop leak. I've never used it and not sure I would but know people who have successfully. Maybe others can chime in on it?

trailless

Caught the Bug
There are other options like Lucas stop leak. I've never used it and not sure I would but know people who have successfully. Maybe others can chime in on it?

Yeah, I'm hoping others have experience with how much it actually cost.

I'm banking on it being a warranty repair. If it's not, I'm going to be rather pissed as that cuts into my funds for installing gears, brakes, ball joints, and buying the evo tire carrier...

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have read it can be very expensive. I just had my tranny rebuilt WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE and was curious on your pic. The rear main seal has nothing to do with where the engine and tranny mate I assume. An internal I believe.

trailless

Caught the Bug
That seems like way too much, IMO. I don't have a labor guide right now, but most rear main seal jobs are around 6-8 hours of labor. And most domestic shops are around 130 per hour.

EDIT: Just for kicks: http://repairpal.com/estimator/rear-main-seal-replacement-cost

Thanks! I checked that out as well. Didnt have the JK on the list but still helpful. I did think it was excessive as well. I understand having to drop the transmission, but still, 12 hours in labor...

Here is a product that I found and have not used and would explain more about the leak.

Made by Blue Devil.

https://gobdp.com/blog/bad-rear-main-seal-leak/

Thanks for the link. I'll go over it. I'll try and get better pictures when I go to pick up the Jeep.

JoshuaC999

The dealer I work at uses Alldata. It says it is 6.1 hours for an A/T. We would add some on if there a lot of skid plates or added on suspension components in the way, but I wouldn't think it shouldn't be more than a few hours. It's been more common to see the oil filter housings leak, which then drains out the back of the engine valley causing it to look like a rear main leak. I see them done about once a week at our dealer. Take the cover off the engine and look down at the base of the housing the oil filter goes into. If there is oil all around it, its leaking and the hole assembly needs replace. I think it would be covered under the powertrain warranty.

jeeeep

Hooked
dealer price seems high, had mine replaced at a local shop for around $650.

Try the Blue Devil, I used it before I had my rear main replaced. Lasted over 6 months with no leaks until I got around to replacing the rear main.

Lloydsmale

id raise a bit of cane with them. Dirt on a jeep??? What did they sell you it thinking you were going to do with it. ITS A JEEP!

Top Bottom