Steering issues

zombie hunter

Sup Guys👊 new to forum

So i have a 2013 jku Sahara with a 3" bds lift + fox shocks sitting on 35s.
Destroyed my power steering pump and had it replaced, before replacing it i swopped out my tie rod nd drag link with my budis 1s from his 2014 rubicon. When i got my jeep back with new pump my steering felt very heavy and tight, almost as if i was driving with flat tyres and when i take a corner the steering would return very slowly. Took it back to dealership nd they checked the box, flushed system,rotated tyres nd did alignment... then they decided my damper is the problem so i then had my fox damper replaced with the bilstein damper. It feels abit better but still abit tight compared to what i remember my steering feeling like nd now shes pulling to 1 side nd tends to kick out over bumps. Can sum1 plz tell me wtf is going on

Sent from my SM-G920F using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sup Guys👊 new to forum

So i have a 2013 jku Sahara with a 3" bds lift + fox shocks sitting on 35s.
Destroyed my power steering pump and had it replaced, before replacing it i swopped out my tie rod nd drag link with my budis 1s from his 2014 rubicon. When i got my jeep back with new pump my steering felt very heavy and tight, almost as if i was driving with flat tyres and when i take a corner the steering would return very slowly. Took it back to dealership nd they checked the box, flushed system,rotated tyres nd did alignment... then they decided my damper is the problem so i then had my fox damper replaced with the bilstein damper. It feels abit better but still abit tight compared to what i remember my steering feeling like nd now shes pulling to 1 side nd tends to kick out over bumps. Can sum1 plz tell me wtf is going on

Welcome to WAL. Jack up the front end and turn the wheels side to side by hand. Sounds like something is binding, find out what it is. You may even have to remove the upper drag link end and just turn the steering wheel one turn to see if the gear box is binding, just remember to turn it back and get it back in the exact position afterwards.

zombie hunter

Welcome to WAL. Jack up the front end and turn the wheels side to side by hand. Sounds like something is binding, find out what it is. You may even have to remove the upper drag link end and just turn the steering wheel one turn to see if the gear box is binding, just remember to turn it back and get it back in the exact position afterwards.
You dnt think it could be my ball joints??? Im going onto 60000ks now with stock ball joints

zombie hunter

It's possible. Have you checked them for play?
The last time i checked there was abit of play but the one side was more than the other. My tie rod ends nd drag link was very stuffed so i put in my buds 1s when he upgraded but they were also loose but better than mine. Weird thing is, my fix damper was fine when my pump was stuffed nd the steering felt smoother at high speeds but now with new pump it feels tighter nd my fox damper was totally stiff so replaced it but now it feels like i have bump steer

WJCO

Meme King
The last time i checked there was abit of play but the one side was more than the other. My tie rod ends nd drag link was very stuffed so i put in my buds 1s when he upgraded but they were also loose but better than mine. Weird thing is, my fix damper was fine when my pump was stuffed nd the steering felt smoother at high speeds but now with new pump it feels tighter nd my fox damper was totally stiff so replaced it but now it feels like i have bump steer

If your ball joints have play, replace those first and recheck. Honestly, you should drive the vehicle with no stabilizer to find out if there's an issue or not, then once fixed, put the stabilizer on at the very end of the repairs. Stabilizers can hide a lot of things and they themselves can bind.

zombie hunter

If your ball joints have play, replace those first and recheck. Honestly, you should drive the vehicle with no stabilizer to find out if there's an issue or not, then once fixed, put the stabilizer on at the very end of the repairs. Stabilizers can hide a lot of things and they themselves can bind.
Thats what we did and it drove fine so we replaced the fox damper with the bilstein and since then it occasionally kicks out when going over a bump or ditch on the road. Havent taken it offroad since the repairs. The shit only happens out of warranty lol

steering

When the pump went out did you strong arm the steering with no assist kinda like manual steering. The torsion bars in the OEM gear boxes will twist when theres not pressure and flow causing your symptoms because the valve is not balanced anymore. This is also true when the tires take a hard hit on a curb,rock etc. Every single OEM steering gear we get brand new out of the box we have to rebalance and pin the torsion bar to prevent this.

PSCJEFF:beer:

zombie hunter

When the pump went out did you strong arm the steering with no assist kinda like manual steering. The torsion bars in the OEM gear boxes will twist when theres not pressure and flow causing your symptoms because the valve is not balanced anymore. This is also true when the tires take a hard hit on a curb,rock etc. Every single OEM steering gear we get brand new out of the box we have to rebalance and pin the torsion bar to prevent this.

PSCJEFF[emoji481]
Ya its my daily driver so i drove with a stuffed pump for about a month until I had a chance to replace it. At normal speed it was fine, at full rotation and idle it was terrible. Had to rev high or put jeep in neutral in order to turn when i wanted 2 park

Top Bottom