Caster dial in

TonyViv

With the other fixes Ive done, Id like to dial in my caster now too... I have read every post and the sticky but have a couple more questions..

History....
Bought my JK a couple years ago, had flighty steering. Read about caster issues.. Purchased upper and lower ACA. Installed to specs and took it in for an alignment, pulled my old printout and this is what is said
Caster 3.3 2.9
Camber 0.4 1.4
Toe 1/32

All has been reasonably fine until last week(see previous desperate thread) Now things are pretty darn good, just looking to dial it all in.

Since ive replaced the ball joints now Im hoping my camber is better, if not there isn't anything I can do but installed gussets to stop future damage.
Toe seems to be fine..

I would like to get my caster to near 4 as suggested, Ive double checked with my iphone and angle finder at the new ball joint and it is showing 3 on both sides, also checked at the face next to the pumpkin and its showing 1 on level ground . So If I am understanding everything correctly I am at 3. With what I have read 1 degree can make quite a difference..

1st... Do I want both sides to have the exact caster setting? Or is the drivers supposed to be different to account for the crown of the road?
2nd.... Am I better served making the adjustments with the LCA or UCA? I get the LCA will also push the axle forward, just not sure which method is best?
3rd... Depending on which CA to adjust, given the LCA is much larger than the UCA, how many turns will it take with each to make the 1 degree change Im looking for, approximately? So I don't have to pull it off twist attach and keep going. And should I add an extra 1/2 turn to the lower side to even them out?
4th ..... Im still on stock driveshafts for now, replacing soon most likely with adams, will I have any problems with vibes when I make the change? And how should I account for the pinion angle when I do change??
5th... Lastly, I ran across a company that sells a transfer case brace,,.... supposedly to save your TC from driveline vibes and failures. Is it at all necessary? Can pinion angle and driveline angle be compensated for enough to not need this... And be vibe free and TC safe with the best caster ??

Thanks

Tony

JKbrick

I think I would start by making your uppers the same length as stock then make the lowers around 1/4" longer than stock and try it. Just a thought since I'm not a mechanic. I don't think with a solid axle you can adjust them differently from side to side. On the front adjust your caster and your driveshaft angle is what it is

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
A stock JK axle has 6 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster angle. If your caster is 3 degrees then your pinion angle is 3. If you set your caster to 4 degrees that will put your pinion angle at 2 degrees. At this point you will be near stock JK specs. You should set your uppers to the same length on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom