Is the battery covered by warranty?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well, everyone was right. I read it time and time again about how the stock battery just goes, and with little warning. Last night around 7pm, I started the jeep and noticed the interior lights dimming. I drove the long way to the store, hoping the battery was just a little low being that the jeep sat almost all weekend. When I left the store, the interior lights and the headlights flickered while starting.
This morning, the jeep is dead. Won't even turn over. The solinoid just clicks.
I bought my jeep new in October 2014, and am curious with the idea of going through warranty, if jeep will cover it, if it's worth another stock battery or just buying a battery and swapping it out this afternoon. I NEED the jeep back and reliable asap. Our wedding is this weekend. But of course these things always happen at the worst time. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Congrats on getting married! Mine is a 2014 so good to know it's probably gonna go soon and I should drive straight to O'Reilly as soon as the lights start flickering!

WJCO

Meme King
Well, everyone was right. I read it time and time again about how the stock battery just goes, and with little warning. Last night around 7pm, I started the jeep and noticed the interior lights dimming. I drove the long way to the store, hoping the battery was just a little low being that the jeep sat almost all weekend. When I left the store, the interior lights and the headlights flickered while starting.
This morning, the jeep is dead. Won't even turn over. The solinoid just clicks.
I bought my jeep new in October 2014, and am curious with the idea of going through warranty, if jeep will cover it, if it's worth another stock battery or just buying a battery and swapping it out this afternoon. I NEED the jeep back and reliable asap. Our wedding is this weekend. But of course these things always happen at the worst time. What do you guys think?

Battery should be covered under base warranty. However, it may be way faster to just go to the parts store and do it yourself. HOWEVER, your symptoms sound more like an alternator issue. I would ensure the terminals on the battery are tight first, because that could cause the symptom too, but a bad battery won't cause issues while you're driving like that. Truthfully sounds like a loose terminal or an alternator issue to me. Did the little red battery symbol illuminate on the cluster as well?

EDIT: I misread your post. I thought you were saying lights were flickering WHILE DRIVING. If not, then yes, it sounds like your battery is shot.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Stock sucks! Go to Autozone and get their higher cranking amp battery. Three year warranty. Mine went out about two years and they replaced with new and I still got a little more to go on warranty. If you have an winch it would be better. Factory are rated at 600-650 cranking amps.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Congrats on getting married! Mine is a 2014 so good to know it's probably gonna go soon and I should drive straight to O'Reilly as soon as the lights start flickering!
Thanks man!
Battery should be covered under base warranty. However, it may be way faster to just go to the parts store and do it yourself. HOWEVER, your symptoms sound more like an alternator issue. I would ensure the terminals on the battery are tight first, because that could cause the symptom too, but a bad battery won't cause issues while you're driving like that. Truthfully sounds like a loose terminal or an alternator issue to me. Did the little red battery symbol illuminate on the cluster as well?
The symptoms I mentioned were only during cranking. Once fired up, everything was normal. I checked the terminals first thing this morning when the jeep wouldn't start. They are tight and Clean.

Yeah I am worried that jeep is going to want to tow the jeep in, it sit until this afternoon before a tech is available, then over night, replace the battery tomorrow, then sometime in the mid afternoon let me pick it up. While that will work for me, if they have any delays it will become problematic immediately.

I guess I need to call jeep and see what they say at this point.
Stock sucks! Go to Autozone and get their higher cranking amp battery. Three year warranty. Mine went out about two years and they replaced with new and I still got a little more to go on warranty. If you have an winch it would be better. Factory are rated at 600-650 cranking amps.

I would rather not run a Autozone battery, especially if i need to expect it to need another replacement in 2 years... have been looking at the odyssey extreme, and will probably go thay route if the warranty plan doesnt work out. I do have a winch, and plan to continue to use it as needed. But the jeeps primary use is daily driver in Houston traffic.

GraniteCrystal

Maybe buy a battery as a backup? If dealer not done with it soon enough, go over and ask they return the vehicle to you and you can swap it out. If they do get it done, can you return the battery?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Thanks man!

The symptoms I mentioned were only during cranking. Once fired up, everything was normal. I checked the terminals first thing this morning when the jeep wouldn't start. They are tight and Clean.

Yeah I am worried that jeep is going to want to tow the jeep in, it sit until this afternoon before a tech is available, then over night, replace the battery tomorrow, then sometime in the mid afternoon let me pick it up. While that will work for me, if they have any delays it will become problematic immediately.

I guess I need to call jeep and see what they say at this point.

I would rather not run a Autozone battery, especially if i need to expect it to need another replacement in 2 years... have been looking at the odyssey extreme, and will probably go thay route if the warranty plan doesnt work out. I do have a winch, and plan to continue to use it as needed. But the jeeps primary use is daily driver in Houston traffic.

Never "expected" to replace it in two years. There was defect in mine for some reason. They replaced. I'm happy. Factory ones seem to last about that long

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well I'm having trouble finding the odyssey pc1220 locally, so I called the dealer I bought the jeep from and it is in fact still covered by warranty. I am going to take it in and let them swap it out. They quoted me having the jeep back around noon tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. We'll see how this goes

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well I'm having trouble finding the odyssey pc1220 locally, so I called the dealer I bought the jeep from and it is in fact still covered by warranty. I am going to take it in and let them swap it out. They quoted me having the jeep back around noon tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. We'll see how this goes

Lol! A day to change out a battery! Gotta love the stealership!

xman4602

I noticed you're in Texas. Here in Florida the constant heat and sunshine kills batteries fast. Maybe a similar issue?

“You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying real hard to be the shepard”

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well I am pleasantly supprised. I dropped the jeep off around 11am or so with a POSSIBILITY of getting it back this evening. Well they called around 2:30 saying my wrangler was ready. I went and picked it up, everything seems right as rain again. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Well I am pleasantly supprised. I dropped the jeep off around 11am or so with a POSSIBILITY of getting it back this evening. Well they called around 2:30 saying my wrangler was ready. I went and picked it up, everything seems right as rain again. :thumb:

Congrats. :thumb:

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Awesome!:thumb:

Top Bottom