HELP/advice!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
So I have a rubicon express track bar with a heim at the frame end. The heim is bad and I'm trying to change it but I can't get the old joint out.

I loosened the jam nut and am turning the joint the correct way (left hand thread) but I can't get it to budge....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I had the same problem a while ago with my RK arms. What I did was put the arm in a bench vice and tighten the living shit out of it then took a spud wrench and put in through the heim joint and hit the spud wrench with a dead blow hammer really hard a shit ton of times. This was even after soaking it in PB blaster for a few days. It was evasive and a huge pain but I did eventually get the joint to thread out of the arm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Breer

Caught the Bug
Did you try a breaker bar/metal pipe? A floor jack handle can work. Liquid wrench or something similar can sometimes help if you let it sit for a while.

If it still doesn't budge then break out some heat...

Just had this same issue on the frame side of a TJ. It was just really difficult to get out, took some liquid wrench and after giving up, took one last hulk attempt which did the trick. Best feeling ever.

WJCO

Meme King
A large pipe wrench may be able to grip it better. Those things suck when they seize.

OhNoTheJiggies

Can we distinguish between a breaker bar and a cheater bar? Is that like one of them cuttybrownbows?

Breaker bar is a "real" tool... Long, with probably a 1/2" or 3/8" drive end. Cheater bar is just a strong pipe/tube that you can slide over the end of the breaker bar to give you that extra leverage.

Breaker bar
IMG_1484137702.419678.jpg

Cheater bar
IMG_1484137722.404590.jpg

But on this picture, the cheater bar is on a ratchet, which isn't a good idea because you can strip the teeth inside of the head.

Hope this helps you out.

buckweil

Breaker bar is a "real" tool... Long, with probably a 1/2" or 3/8" drive end. Cheater bar is just a strong pipe/tube that you can slide over the end of the breaker bar to give you that extra leverage.

Breaker bar
View attachment 238184

Cheater bar
View attachment 238185

But on this picture, the cheater bar is on a ratchet, which isn't a good idea because you can strip the teeth inside of the head.

Hope this helps you out.

We had to use a cheater bar on my bumper to get the torq bolts out for tow hooks. Those are a pain!

WJCO

Meme King
No, seriously asking. I think I need to invest in a breaker bar. I usually end up using my torque wrench because it's the biggest thing I have. Thanks for explaining!

Great tool to have. You don't have to go real expensive, but don't go cheap either. You don't want that thing breaking when you have all your weight on it. I've had good luck with auto parts store ones. I wouldn't get a random cheapy on eBay though.

WJCO

Meme King
So is the track bar still on the car? If so, it may be easier to remove it and put it in a vice.

OhNoTheJiggies

Got mine at HF. Works fine

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had one that a buddy gave me, told me he got it from eBay and it broke the first time I tried breaking the torque on my track bar.
Bought a HF one and have had it for about 2 years so when I needed a 3/8" breaker bar, I just bought another HF one. No issues.

Would I rather have a snap on one? Yeah, but I don't have the money to spend on it. Still happy with my purchase.

Top Bottom