Coils....EVO vs Metalcloak

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anybody have experience with both the EVO plushrides and the Metalcloak dual rates? They both seem to be at the top of most lists.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
honesty, I think the only real reason metalcloak is at the top of most peoples lists is because they are really good at marketing, just like terrorflex. I have rode on both and I prefer the plush rides over them. the plush rides are the smoothest coils I have rode on and highly recommend them

smtjohn

Hello friends.
I was considering Metal Cloak for their dual rate. But now I might have to look into plush. What spring would be recommended for a 14 JKU with a 120lb. Rooftop tent?

thx

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello friends.
I was considering Metal Cloak for their dual rate. But now I might have to look into plush. What spring would be recommended for a 14 JKU with a 120lb. Rooftop tent?

thx

what size tires are you running?
How are the plush rides once you add a load, settle...etc. just the name makes me think of a too soft coil that will sag

just like every other coil on the market they will sag a little once loaded up.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Anybody have experience with both the EVO plushrides and the Metalcloak dual rates? They both seem to be at the top of most lists.

Here's what the MC dual rates look like sitting on flat pavement:

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

That's a good 5-6 coils fully compressed all the time. Doesn't leave much for regular compression. IMO dual rate coils are overrated.

chitown35

LOSER
What are the free lengths of the considered coils (would look up, but 3"? 4"?)? Spring rates? And how much min bump stop is recommended by their manufacturer? If I was going to decide on coils I'd find this out first and consider it with my shock length.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Disclaimer- I have not driven on evo plush rides

I have the metalcloak 3.5 coils and personally like the little bit stiffer ride they give. It's all personal preference. I'm not gonna say that one is better than the other as I have no experience with the other.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I had the 3" BDS lift on my 14 4 door and the ride was ok, then I found a good deal on the 3" plush ride coils. I now have the plush rides on the front, haven't gotten them on the rear yet but the difference in ride is noticeable. No experience with the MC so I can't comment on them, but everyone on here that has the EVO seems to love them.

kpig

I have used both the 3.5 Metalcloak coils and the 4" Evo Plush Coils. The Evo coils rode fantastic and are almost the same unloaded length as the Metalcloak coils when new. I recently went back with the Metalcloak coils just to prevent the coils from unseating when combined with 11.5" travel shocks. To be fair, the Evo coils that I have are now sagging in the rear after almost 3 years of abuse. When new, the Plush Coils are fantastic. You can't go wrong with either. If you are running slightly shorter shocks, this won't be an issue, and I would stay with the Plush coils. These Metalcloak coils are just buying time for me to save up a bit more for when I move back to Cali and go the full Double Throw Down.

PERS JK

I have used both the 3.5 Metalcloak coils and the 4" Evo Plush Coils. The Evo coils rode fantastic and are almost the same unloaded length as the Metalcloak coils when new. I recently went back with the Metalcloak coils just to prevent the coils from unseating when combined with 11.5" travel shocks. To be fair, the Evo coils that I have are now sagging in the rear after almost 3 years of abuse. When new, the Plush Coils are fantastic. You can't go wrong with either. If you are running slightly shorter shocks, this won't be an issue, and I would stay with the Plush coils. These Metalcloak coils are just buying time for me to save up a bit more for when I move back to Cali and go the full Double Throw Down.

Thank you the insight and information.

smtjohn

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for your insight. Any suggestions for a good overland spring? I was looking at MC, but now I'm thinking Old Man.

I honestly don't have a clue as to why anyone would be concerned about how your Jeep LOOKS loaded up instead of how it actually RIDES. I guarantee you, most "overlanding" coils feel like shit - trust me, I've run a myriad of them in the past. If you really want the best "overlanding" setup, you should really look into coil overs. They are adjustable and they'll allow you to run 2 different spring rates so that you can have the best of both worlds. Otherwise, I would just get a good coil that offers a nice ride and run coil spacers to help make up any sag that you might see. I've done that too and was much happier than running OME coils that kept my Jeep "looking" level when loaded up. Of course, that's just me.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I honestly don't have a clue as to why anyone would be concerned about how your Jeep LOOKS loaded up instead of how it actually RIDES. I guarantee you, most "overlanding" coils feel like shit - trust me, I've run a myriad of them in the past. If you really want the best "overlanding" setup, you should really look into coil overs. They are adjustable and they'll allow you to run 2 different spring rates so that you can have the best of both worlds. Otherwise, I would just get a good coil that offers a nice ride and run coil spacers to help make up any sag that you might see. I've done that too and was much happier than running OME coils that kept my Jeep "looking" level when loaded up. Of course, that's just me.

What he said ^^^
I waited years before getting coilovers and there are the best ride you'll get.

There isn't anything else to say

smtjohn

sorry but. What is "Double Throw Down"

Top Bottom