Stock tie rod stabilizer bracket hitting ProRock cover

WJCO

Meme King
I'm hoping a member or two that is running a ProRock still runs the stock tie rod. I've got an issue that I thought was worked out but not completely. I have my stabilizer above the tie rod like lots of guys do, but noticed the bolt head on the bracket ever so slightly hits my new ProRock cover. It actually wore away enough of the cover that it stopped binding so I'm OK with that. However I noticed a new problem today, up higher, the bracket bolt is also hitting the drag link over bumps. The easy solution would be to just rotate the bracket so the stabilizer would be closer to the axle and would easily clear the drag link, but if I do that, the stabilizer bracket will definitely hit the cover more and likely I won't even be able to turn left at all. So for those of you running a similar setup, any ideas?

Here's the witness mark on the drag link showing where the bolt hits it:

IMG_20170112_151945_860.jpg

And here's showing the bolt where it hits the cover. The bolt head slides right over the Dynatrac logo and it wore enough where it doesn't bother me. But if I rotate that bracket, it will hit much worse:

IMG_20170112_151921_272.jpg

IMG_20170112_152002_032.jpg

So in summary, I'm trying to rotate the stabilizer in more, but I can't do that without hitting my diff cover.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I ran my stock tie rod for a while and never hit luckily. What I would suggest is looking at a tie rod clamp instead of using the oem bracket

Mtb275

What about something simple, cut tip of bolt off, re-paint and see if it still hits? Would switching bolt to more of a lag style bolt head give more clearance at diff cover?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

Screenshot_2017-01-12-14-43-02.jpg Screenshot_2017-01-12-14-42-48.jpg
Would this bracket give you a bit more clearance between the diff cover and tie rod. In turn maybe allowing you to rotate it ever so slightly. Enough that it won't hit the drag link?

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, it doesn't look like any harm is being done. I'd probably just leave well enough alone.

jeeeep

Hooked
i flipped my ss bracket on the tie rod so the bolt pointed down.
i don't think i have pics but will take a look.

edit random phone dictation comments lol

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I ran my stock tie rod for a while and never hit luckily. What I would suggest is looking at a tie rod clamp instead of using the oem bracket

That's what I'm thinking. You're running a synergy right? You running a stabilizer? How'd you set it up?

What about something simple, cut tip of bolt off, re-paint and see if it still hits? Would switching bolt to more of a lag style bolt head give more clearance at diff cover?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

There's only about .250 of thread sticking out, so I don't know if I really want to mess with it, but I did think about that.

Would this bracket give you a bit more clearance between the diff cover and tie rod. In turn maybe allowing you to rotate it ever so slightly. Enough that it won't hit the drag link?

Its not a pr44 bit just posting showing how its angled a bit towards the axle versus straight up.

That's what I want to do, but if I rotate it now, even if I clear the drag link, the stock stabilizer bracket will catch on the diff cover.

Honestly, it doesn't look like any harm is being done. I'd probably just leave well enough alone.

My OCD won't let me ignore the clunk though, lol.

i flipped my ss bracket on the tie rod so the bolt pointed down.
i don't think i have pics but will take a look.

edit random phone dictation comments lol

Yeah post a pic if you have one. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My OCD won't let me ignore the clunk though, lol.

LOL!! Probably would drive me batty too. I see you have quite a bit of thread showing and the contact seems minimal. You ever think about just grinding the stud down a bit?

WJCO

Meme King
LOL!! Probably would drive me batty too. I see you have quite a bit of thread showing and the contact seems minimal. You ever think about just grinding the stud down a bit?

It looks like more in the picture than it really is. It's actually about a 1/4 inch exposed. I thought about it, but I would hate to grind it down with no change in results.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like more in the picture than it really is. It's actually about a 1/4 inch exposed. I thought about it, but I would hate to grind it down with no change in results.

Well, how about rotate it over a bit and grind the Dynatrac cover a bit where it makes contact? I've had to do that with other covers in the past. Of course, if the nut is a stover, you should be fine so long as it's biting down on threads.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, how about rotate it over a bit and grind the Dynatrac cover a bit where it makes contact? I've had to do that with other covers in the past. Of course, if the nut is a stover, you should be fine so long as it's biting down on threads.

I thought about that too, but that cover is so frickin pretty. I would hate to take away from it, lol.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That's what I'm thinking. You're running a synergy right? You running a stabilizer? How'd you set it up?

Im still running the stock stabilizer and bracket with no issues. Maybe I have my bracket moved over a bit or rotated ever so slightly. I can try and grab a pic later for you

WJCO

Meme King
Im still running the stock stabilizer and bracket with no issues. Maybe I have my bracket moved over a bit or rotated ever so slightly. I can try and grab a pic later for you

Awesome. Thanks. Are you running hi-steer as well?

MacRubi2

View attachment 238444 View attachment 238445

I went through this myself first with the Rancho covers I had on the stock axle. I just cut some material off of the stock SS tie rod bracket and all was good.

Then when I went with the PR44 and the Spohn Performance tie rod I had bought a JKS bracket to go with it and it dragged the Dynatrac cover bad so I bought the Synergy one in the quote and that solved that.

WJCO

Meme King
I went through this myself first with the Rancho covers I had on the stock axle. I just cut some material off of the stock SS tie rod bracket and all was good.

Then when I went with the PR44 and the Spohn Performance tie rod I had bought a JKS bracket to go with it and it dragged the Dynatrac cover bad so I bought the Synergy one in the quote and that solved that.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Tie rod clamp is looking like the answer.

Last edited:

spookyg00k

i actually gotta figure out on installing my fox stablizer as well, the way im looking at it, it wont clear well. using stock tie rod and drag link

Top Bottom