front control arms

woof359

has any one installed the brackets to lower the front control arms back down after installing a lift ? I was looking at the Rough Country ones, I was hoping it well help with hiway steering

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please don't waste your money on those things. Your problem is that you most likely lack enough positive caster and while they will help, you just paid all that money to raise your Jeep up and away from obstacles. It really makes no sense to pay more just to lower mounts that get hit all the time on the trail. Do yourself a favor and buy adjustable control arms instead and set your caster with them.

Oh, and if you're really determined to do it, please consider the ones made by Rancho instead. They are built a lot better.

woof359

arms

I was wondering if arms were the way to go after seeing the video about them hanging down and hitting stuff, do I need 4 arms or just the lower ones ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if arms were the way to go after seeing the video about them hanging down and hitting stuff, do I need 4 arms or just the lower ones ?

You just need the front lowers. You can adjust them a bit longer to get your caster back to where you need.

WJCO

Meme King
Also regarding drop brackets, it's one more thing that can come loose. There is a lot of force on the end of control arms and the track bar, so adding a drop bracket can create extra leverage that isn't ideal and can cause play there.

chitown35

LOSER
has any one installed the brackets to lower the front control arms back down after installing a lift ? I was looking at the Rough Country ones, I was hoping it well help with hiway steering

How high is your lift? As WOL said, I wouldn't bother in most circumstances and def. do the arms instead to fix caster. But if you lifted like 5-6" or something crazy it may be a way to avoid going long arms.

woof359

lowers

How high is your lift? As WOL said, I wouldn't bother in most circumstances and def. do the arms instead to fix caster. But if you lifted like 5-6" or something crazy it may be a way to avoid going long arms.
decided to order lowers and readjust my alignment, well let you all know how different it steers after there on. many thanks

IronWorker18

decided to order lowers and readjust my alignment, well let you all know how different it steers after there on. many thanks

Call me dumb, call me a newb.. but if you make your front lowers longer, how can you keep your front uppers same length? I've been confused on this for a while and just want to do it properly before I order control Arms.

WJCO

Meme King
Call me dumb, call me a newb.. but if you make your front lowers longer, how can you keep your front uppers same length? I've been confused on this for a while and just want to do it properly before I order control Arms.

If you're looking at the axle from the side (the wheel hub), the axle twists when you adjust the lower or upper arms. If you extend the lower arms, the upper axle mount stays in the same spot but pivots on the upper bolt. The upper arm length doesn't change. This makes the pinion point down further. Because the axle is one solid piece, ANY time you change caster, your pinion angle will also change.

tjssixx

Added adjustable control arms to my son's as his steering was awful. Purchased it with a 3" lift, so it help a lot. Have 2 others with only 2.5" lifts and they steer fine.

IronWorker18

If you're looking at the axle from the side (the wheel hub), the axle twists when you adjust the lower or upper arms. If you extend the lower arms, the upper axle mount stays in the same spot but pivots on the upper bolt. The upper arm length doesn't change. This makes the pinion point down further. Because the axle is one solid piece, ANY time you change caster, your pinion angle will also change.

I couldn't ask for a better explanation. Thanks brotha.

Would it still not better to get adjustable uppers AND lowers to re-centre the axel itself back to original geometry lost from your short arms pulling it in due to the angle of your arms/tight radius.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I couldn't ask for a better explanation. Thanks brotha.

Would it still not better to get adjustable uppers AND lowers to re-centre the axel itself back to original geometry lost from your short arms pulling it in due to the angle of your arms/tight radius.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can usually get by with lowers only. Your axle will be a little more forward in the wheel well but not even hardly noticeable. And you just work with the lowers until caster is correct.

twoxstreem

For what its worth I have had AEV drop brackets as well as adjustable upper and lower control arms on the front for 50,000+ miles with zero issues. My pinion angle is set at about 2 degrees.

I tested the drop brackets out of curiosity and they effectively corrected the ride quality, handling and brought brake dive back to a stock like feel. Its an inexpensive fix and worked way better than I ever expected when i didn't have the money for long arms.

That being said now its time for an upgrade and i will be going with a new Dynatrac front axle and Clayton long arms.

You have to decide what is best for you and your driving style.... if you are not dragging the bottom on rocks and spend most of your time cruising to the beach then ground clearance isn't an issue. If you are wheeling hard and crushing them on ledges and boulders is an issue then skip the drop brackets.

Additionally, if Rancho or JKS drop brackets were around when i got the AEV i would have gone with a beefier option but the AEV have held up very well for many years now.

Top Bottom