How to pick the right suspension

mauijim

I bought a 2012 jk 2 door sport and plan on upgrading to pro rock 60's and atlas transfer case but need help picking my suspension. I'll be 20% crawling 80% mud and trails. I'll be retired in 5 years and will be doing a lot more crawling. I think I'd like to get adjustable long arms. I'm new to all of this and new help with what brand and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Ya I guess I forgot that part... I plan on running 37" tires and I'd say about $30k

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Whoa. That's some serious walking around town money.

OK, figure
2k for bumpers and tire carrier
1k for winch
1k for sport cage, C pillars, etc
1k for new headlights and some cubes
1.5k for tires
1.5k for wheels
11k for 60/60 axles
1k for driveshafts
1k in armor (sliders, skids, skins, etc)

That leaves $9k for suspension. I'd look at the Evo Double D Pro. Retails for 6.3k and then you'll have a few grand in installation depending on how much work you want to do for all those parts.

GraniteCrystal

I forgot the Atlas transfer case. Not sure how much that'll cost. If you're going over budget, consider the Evo Enforcer Pro Stage 1 instead. $4.3k

tgoss

With 30k to play with I'd stretch that thing 6 inches and do a nice set of 14" 2.5 coilovers. There's a lot out there on custom set ups, if you want to do more crawling down the road lengthening the wheel base will help.

If you just want something out of the box, I agree Double D Pro would be an amazing off the shelf upgrade.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a 2012 jk 2 door sport and plan on upgrading to pro rock 60's and atlas transfer case but need help picking my suspension. I'll be 20% crawling 80% mud and trails. I'll be retired in 5 years and will be doing a lot more crawling. I think I'd like to get adjustable long arms. I'm new to all of this and new help with what brand and so forth.

Are you planning to do the work yourself or having a shop do it for you? If you are doing it yourself, can you weld? I see you're in Seattle, will you be doing most of your wheeling in your neck of the woods or would you be doing a lot more traveling after you retire and if the later, will you be trailering your rig or are you wanting it to be something you could drive across the country in comfort.

Ya I guess I forgot that part... I plan on running 37" tires and I'd say about $30k

Axles and an Atlas will eat up about half that budget or, are you saying $30k above and beyond them?

mauijim

I'll be having a shop do it . I'll be mostly wheeling here in Washington and plan on going to Moab twice a year and in about 5 years when I retire I'd like to travel around, so ya I definitely want something that's decent on the freeway.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mauijim

Yes , I guess I was saying which one I'm going with... but thanks Mike, I'm thinking of going with 4.88 cause I don't think that the 60's come in 5:13 and I think 5:38 is to low since I'm getting the atlas 4 speed

mauijim

Thanks...I was going to get the 2 speed but the 4 speed just makes more sense... it'll help my 2 door crawl better and more gear options for just about anything including the freeway

Top Bottom