Evo protek 44 truss kit

black pearl

Hooked
So I'm getting ready to install my truss kit and had a few questions first is the C gussets I think I read a thread on here that the heat it takes to weld the gussets in will actually weakens the Cs could this be solved by quenching them versus air cooling? Or should I just put the gussets in a spare parts box. Second is they recommend a pre load on the axel but doesn't say how much maybe I should contact evo for the pre load amount

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm getting ready to install my truss kit and had a few questions first is the C gussets I think I read a thread on here that the heat it takes to weld the gussets in will actually weakens the Cs could this be solved by quenching them versus air cooling? Or should I just put the gussets in a spare parts box. Second is they recommend a pre load on the axel but doesn't say how much maybe I should contact evo for the pre load amount

I don't run C gussets, but lots of guys here do and I don't know of a single one that has had a problem. Someone showed up here the other day that supposedly talked to an engineer that said the heat damaged the c's. So I would go off of experience rather than some random dude who piped in here and then left. If you are keeping the ball joints in, then the welding will likely damage the ball joints or cook the grease out if you aren't very careful. As far as the truss, I have no idea on that.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I cant comment on the truss....but for the C Gussets, just work in small 1" welds and alternate from side to side letting them cool in between. I have done a few axles so far with 0 issues.

J

JKDream

I don't run C gussets, but lots of guys here do and I don't know of a single one that has had a problem. Someone showed up here the other day that supposedly talked to an engineer that said the heat damaged the c's. So I would go off of experience rather than some random dude who piped in here and then left. If you are keeping the ball joints in, then the welding will likely damage the ball joints or cook the grease out if you aren't very careful. As far as the truss, I have no idea on that.

I'm thinking the same thing, I don't really believe that for a minute to be honest. Even if it did, it would be negated by the fact that you just welded 1/4" box plate to them. If you have any truss related questions let me know, I have the EVO truss on my 44.

black pearl

Hooked

I was planning on pulling the ball joint when I do that part I probably didn't even need them as I only run 35s and don't plan at the time to go any bigger

black pearl

Hooked
I'm thinking the same thing, I don't really believe that for a minute to be honest. Even if it did, it would be negated by the fact that you just welded 1/4" box plate to them. If you have any truss related questions let me know, I have the EVO truss on my 44.

Did you pre load the axel on install? It says it's not absolutely necessary but it is recommended

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, the end forgings being compromised due to the welding of gussets is just speculation at best. Over the last 10 years, I have yet to see a single one fail because of it.

Regarding trusses, I'm no fan of them if only because installing one often times CAUSES your axle to bend. I have seen it happen countless times and even from shops that know what they're doing. I don't know if I've ever heard of a specific preload amount you need but you should take care to try something.

attachment.php

J

JKDream

Yes I did. And I would recommend it. I'll find the photo for you of how I went about it with basic tools. Hang on.
tapatalk_1484342297803.jpeg

I didn't put much force on the housing, just enough to have good tension on the chain.

black pearl

Hooked
As others have mentioned, the end forgings being compromised due to the welding of gussets is just speculation at best. Over the last 10 years, I have yet to see a single one fail because of it.

Regarding trusses, I'm no fan of them if only because installing one often times CAUSES your axle to bend. I have seen it happen countless times and even from shops that know what they're doing. I don't know if I've ever heard of a specific preload amount you need but you should take care to try something.

attachment.php

I'm going to take my time doing alternating small welds and I also know that when a weld cools it has a shrinking pull back that's why I'm asking about pre load as I see it being really necessary I will take all of this into consideration as I prep and install

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to take my time doing alternating small welds and I also know that when a weld cools it has a shrinking pull back that's why I'm asking about pre load as I see it being really necessary I will take all of this into consideration as I prep and install

Good luck to you.

SJCJK

Not to hijack- but are guys putting grease fittings in the factory ball joints? I'm shocked there isn't one there. (Ignorant question I'm sure.)

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to hijack- but are guys putting grease fittings in the factory ball joints? I'm shocked there isn't one there. (Ignorant question I'm sure.)

The factory ball joints are meant to be disposable. If you get a quality HD replacement joint like a Dynatrac ProSteer, they will have grease fittings.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Warrior's Lance

In a Dynatrac Prosteer ball joint video, the tech says that the factory ball of the ball joint is wrapped by a piece of plastic, you don't want to melt that piece or the ball joints are junk. I don't know about the moderator's attitude towards posting a link to an outside video, so I will let you look for it on your own.

Here is a link to Eddie's Evo Gusset install write up from a long time ago:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-wrangler-c2-front-axle-reinforcement-gussets
There is a picture album link at the bottom of the write up that has pictures of the ORE welder using wet rags to cool the welds.

There is also a Wayalife video that accompanies it, sort of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrWbREGB7w

Hope that helps
Lance

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

The amount of preload is dependent on the amount of heat you put in during welding and the order you weld. There is no set amount and really is based on a bit of luck and prior experience. Hence why so many people get it wrong.

WJCO

Meme King
In a Dynatrac Prosteer ball joint video, the tech says that the factory ball of the ball joint is wrapped by a piece of plastic, you don't want to melt that piece or the ball joints are junk. I don't know about the moderator's attitude towards posting a link to an outside video, so I will let you look for it on your own.

Here is a link to Eddie's Evo Gusset install write up from a long time ago:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-wrangler-c2-front-axle-reinforcement-gussets
There is a picture album link at the bottom of the write up that has pictures of the ORE welder using wet rags to cool the welds.

There is also a Wayalife video that accompanies it, sort of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrWbREGB7w

Hope that helps
Lance

Being that they aren't links to a competing forum or jeep channel, I don't think it will be an issue.

Top Bottom