Gearing for 35s

jjparker3

I've looked around in here and found parts and pieces of discussions concerning gears/gearing for this and that, but nothing that really clears up my question(s).

I am moving up to 35s. Between the laws of the country I'm living in and my budget, 35s are as large as I can go for now. Should I change the gearing in my 2011 2Dr 3.8 w/manual tranny upon installing the new tires? Drive train and engine are stock except Airiad CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and 3" lift.

If the recommendation is to re-gear, then what ratio is recommended? Is any gear company better the the others? I mainly drive on unimproved trails and sand. No crawling, minimal mud if I can avoid it (I hate cleaning) and the JK is my DD.

Lastly, what device/gadget would you recommend for recalibrating the speedo?

Thanks in advance,

JJP3

Last edited:

Skid_Kid

A 4.10 or 4.56 is good if your looking for a daily driver. If your looking for a fair daily driver and good crawler then 4.88 through 5.13 would work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll be fine with 4.10's and 35's. You may want to get a tuner to set your shifting points if you have an auto.

Agreed and, he's got a manual so there won't be any shift points to deal with. Still, I would take the time to calibrate the speedo just the same :yup:

If you want more power, upgrading to 4.88's will bring you back to around stock performance and 5.13's will give you a bigger boost. I've run the later and loved it but, your RPM's at highway speeds will be higher.

Torrin

Agreed and, he's got a manual so there won't be any shift points to deal with. Still, I would take the time to calibrate the speedo just the same :yup:

If you want more power, upgrading to 4.88's will bring you back to around stock performance and 5.13's will give you a bigger boost. I've run the later and loved it but, your RPM's at highway speeds will be higher.

On my '07 Manual with 35's, 4.88's is the lowest I would have wanted to go (In fact, 2.88's were perfect). Assuming he is running a D30 up front, 5.13's have tiny tiny little pinions. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On my '07 Manual with 35's, 4.88's is the lowest I would have wanted to go (In fact, 2.88's were perfect). Assuming he is running a D30 up front, 5.13's have tiny tiny little pinions. :)

Yup, on a D30, a 5.13 would leave you with a tiny pinion and isn't something I would do.

ssh6314

So. Not to hijack. But I have a similar question.

2008 2dr X. Manual. Running 33's now. But want 35's when I lift. (Hopefully EVO bolt on)..but, my spec sheet says I'm I have the dreaded 3.21's. Is it a must to upgrade the gears before the 35's. I don't notice the difference from stock to 33's. But 35's are another animal. And how high gear ratio can I go with a d30/d44. Ty in advance

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

2008 2dr X. Manual. Running 33's now. But want 35's when I lift. (Hopefully EVO bolt on)..but, my spec sheet says I'm I have the dreaded 3.21's. Is it a must to upgrade the gears before the 35's. I don't notice the difference from stock to 33's. But 35's are another animal. And how high gear ratio can I go with a d30/d44. Ty in advance

There's no "must" but, you'll see a considerable amount of power loss with 35's if you don't regear.

PlenaBarba

I've been driving with 3.21's and 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers since halloween. Mine is a 2dr Sport with no added weight except a full size spare. I ditched the back seat as well, so I run pretty light. Living in Louisiana at a low elevation and no hills, it does fine. The gears are tall. 1st goes to about 15-18mph before I shift 2nd to 28-30mph 3rd to about 40-42mph and so and and so forth.

It is a slug, but once you're rolling its not horrible. Stopping and starting, if you can worth a clutch well is no issue. My main concern is that I know its lugging the motor and transmission even in a light 2 dr when I'm constantly dropping down to about 500 RPM's when I shift, or conversely reving up to 3500 before I shift to drop down to a slightly higher (stock range) starting RPM in the next gear.

I'm making the jump to 4:88 and honestly, I'm thinking its going to be too much for me with these 35s. But, eventually this won't be a DD and I'll jump to 37's and all will be well. Or I'll move away from Louisiana and I'll be glad I have the extra power when climbing hills. Off road I'm sure it will be awesome. Drop to four low and just let the clutch out and watch it climb!

I hope this helps. I can take a video of the shifting points if you'd like.

Last edited:

White_JKU

I have 3.21's on a 2012 JKU auto with 35's.

I honestly could not tell any difference in power compared to stock... maybe im used to it after a little over a year of running the 35's.

I can stomp the gas and chirp the 35" mickey T's mud terrains on dry pavement. I will not regear until.i go 37's or bigger.

PlenaBarba

I have 3.21's on a 2012 JKU auto with 35's.

I honestly could not tell any difference in power compared to stock... maybe im used to it after a little over a year of running the 35's.

I can stomp the gas and chirp the 35" mickey T's mud terrains on dry pavement. I will not regear until.i go 37's or bigger.

That's the difference between the 3.8L and the 3.6L.

ssh6314

This is my main concern. I know I don't "have" to. But for he sake of my clutch and engine. I should shouldn't I? What range of gears. Or whats the highest ratio I can go in a D-30/44 combo

Rock-itman

That's the difference between the 3.8L and the 3.6L.

X2 Definately be careful ,looking at charts or graphs when comparing GEAR ratios to tire sizes. The 3.6 is a totally different animal . What will be great on the 3.8 will not be sooo on the 3.6. Old school stuff doesnt work necessarily the same anymore w/ gears and tires w/ theese new engines and computers !! Goodluck ;)

SoCalDozer

X2 Definately be careful ,looking at charts or graphs when comparing GEAR ratios to tire sizes. The 3.6 is a totally different animal . What will be great on the 3.8 will not be sooo on the 3.6. Old school stuff doesnt work necessarily the same anymore w/ gears and tires w/ theese new engines and computers !! Goodluck ;)

im having that same issue with my 12' I have 3.21's and putting 35's on from 33's when I return home in a week then regearing but not sure if I want to do 4.88's or 4.56's. Im leaning towards 4.56 just since its a 12 and I would get a bigger pinion for the d30

Top Bottom