Nut and Bolt check.

munstie

Just curious if there is general rule about when and if you should replace bolts after running them for a certain amount of time. I do a once over of everything after every trip. Just curious to see what everyone else's take is on this.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Prime8

I know that at Cat, a lot of our engine bolts, and some other critical bolts elsewhere, are torqued to yield. Since you are reaching the yield point of the material, it is necessary to replace them any and every time you remove or loosen them. I'm not sure if commercial vehicle are made the same way... I'd just inspect them for overall deformation, thread deformation, and corrosion. if they look just fine, I'd say keep using them.

munstie

What bolts are you talking about? If its all of them feel free but I won't be doing that. ;)

Like I said before after every wheeling trip I give it a once over as far as taking bolts out, no that's not what I'm doing, but was curious if anybody else was doing the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Routine maintenance should include the checking of bolts to make sure they are tighten to torque spec. None of the bolts on will be set to yield and they should last the lifetime of your Jeep. I have never found a need to replace any of my bolts.

munstie

Routine maintenance should include the checking of bolts to make sure they are tighten to torque spec. None of the bolts on will be set to yield and they should last the lifetime of your Jeep. I have never found a need to replace any of my bolts.

That's what I kinda figured on the bolts lasting. Was just wondering if I was going overboard checking them after every wheeling trip. :thumbup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I kinda figured on the bolts lasting. Was just wondering if I was going overboard checking them after every wheeling trip. :thumbup:

Honestly, it's probably a smart thing to do but, I'm out on the trail way too often to be doing that. I maybe check mine once an oil change and 9 times out of 10, they're all good to go. If you use a paint pen to mark your bolts, checking them can be done pretty fast.

munstie

I'll give the paint marker a try, makes sense. I'm generally out about once or twice a month

Top Bottom