EVO Gussets

mauijim

So while I'm waiting to get my new axles and suspension I was thinking of installing C Gussets and axle gussets on my Dana 30 & 44 and was wondering if these really help so I can wheel in the mean time

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
If you are gping to wheel I would install C gussets right away since factory axle Cs are quite weak. But you can only gusset the front since the rear axle doesn't have the Cs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what "axle gussets" are but c-gussets aren't bad to have and they will help prevent the end forgings from bending. That being said, if you're getting new axles, I see no reason to throw any money at what you have now. Just get out there and wheel your Jeep. You'll be fine.

WJCO

Meme King
So while I'm waiting to get my new axles and suspension I was thinking of installing C Gussets and axle gussets on my Dana 30 & 44 and was wondering if these really help so I can wheel in the mean time

What size tire you running? What kind of wheeling are you doing? And if you are referring to the rear 44 axle, you can't install gussets back there, there's no knuckle.

rogerk93

I have c-gussets on mine to give me some time until I get new axles. I'm not sure what axle gussets are but if your talking about a truss I would save my money and put it into your funds for the new axle.

mauijim

Not sure what "axle gussets" are but c-gussets aren't bad to have and they will help prevent the end forgings from bending. That being said, if you're getting new axles, I see no reason to throw any money at what you have now. Just get out there and wheel your Jeep. You'll be fine.

Sry I meant trusses... see my concern is that this jeep had brand new 35" on it when I bought it and I worried that's too much for the Dana 35 and that's why I was thinking of the C Gussets and trusses just to keep me going till I get the 60's

mauijim

What size tire you running? What kind of wheeling are you doing? And if you are referring to the rear 44 axle, you can't install gussets back there, there's no knuckle.

I bought this 2012 jk sport 4 months ago with the plan to upgrade it and it had brand new 35" on it and I'm worried about the Dana 30 front with them on it. As far as the wheeling goes won't be going that hard on them but if I get to a spot where I don't have much choice I think it's better to add them and the trusses

USMC Wrangler

I bought this 2012 jk sport 4 months ago with the plan to upgrade it and it had brand new 35" on it and I'm worried about the Dana 30 front with them on it. As far as the wheeling goes won't be going that hard on them but if I get to a spot where I don't have much choice I think it's better to add them and the trusses

Although I haven't been on 35's for very long, I have the C gussets and no truss. You will probably get the same advice I have received here...a truss and or sleeves on the Dana 30 will not prevent the common breaks associated with this axle. So far this advice based on experience has been spot on. C gussets are really the only thing worthwhile.

J

JKDream

I think you are overthinking it.
These housings bend from speed and hard hits, not rock crawling.
They're not toothpicks either, and unless you are consistently barreling through the bush at 60+ mph I wouldn't be so concerned seeing as you are upgrading anyway.
Skip the truss, maybe do the gussets depending on your timeline and drive it.

As everyone has already said, c gussets are all you need for your Dana 30 right now. But whether you should get them or not depends on your timeline for new axles. If you're talking Years, then get them. If you're talking months, then just tread lightly until then.

mauijim

Ok thanks you guys. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I've just heard how weak the 30's are and got paranoid. I had a 1975 CJ 5 I bought in 1981 and didn't have lockers just the stock axles and I wheeled all over and never had any problems. Till it got stolen in 1987 and never found it. It's probably 8 months out before I upgrade so I appreciate the help, all of you guys

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom