Jeep pulls?

Crso8541

Ok, So it's the same ole Jeep pulls right when letting off the gas and pulls left when accelerating. 2dr JK 3.5" X-factor and 35's, Here's what I've done so far:

Track Bars: Torqued, axel's centered, both are raised 3"
Control Arms: Torqued and adjusted
Drag link: RK Flip kit/ High Steer Kit and steering wheel is centered
Alignment: Haven't done yet....

I've not been able to see that anything is moving/shifting down there. The weird thing is whenever it happens I don't get any movement in the steering wheel. Would the alignment being out cause this? What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it safe to assume you're running Toyo Open Country MT's? If so, what you're feeling is a radial pull to the right. That is common with those tires.

Crso8541

Is it safe to assume you're running Toyo Open Country MT's? If so, what you're feeling is a radial pull to the right. That is common with those tires.

Is there any correcting this? It's great you mentioned that bc I don't remember it doing it before my last rotation. May have to go out and switch the tires back around and see what happens. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any correcting this? It's great you mentioned that bc I don't remember it doing it before my last rotation. May have to go out and switch the tires back around and see what happens. Thanks!

Unfortunately, not really. You could run less air in your driver side tire and that will cause more rolling resistance. Might have been what you were feeling before.

Eureka! Thank you. I have the same tires, same issue. Had it aligned twice but still pulls.

Yeah, a radial pull to one side or the other is pretty common with most MT's. Nitto Trail Grapplers have a hard pull to the left.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you could play with your caster a bit to help offset.

I am sorry but that is a BIG NEGATIVE. Contrary to what stupid companies like TeraFlex will tell you and the bad information you can find on other forums, you CANNOT add cross caster on a SOLID AXLE. Attempting to do so will just put an enormous strain on your axle and joints. This WILL lead to premature bushing failure and possible control arm, mounts or even an axle tube breaks. Trust me, I have personally seen it happen many times in the past 10 years.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sitting just over 4*, should I increase or decrease or just guess and see what happens lol

You do NOT want to add more caster than that. While it would be nice to have and would make your steering feel tighter on the highway, it will NOT fix your pull and it can lead to drive line vibrations if you have an aftermarket u-joint style shaft. About 4° is what you want.

trailraider

I am sorry but that is a BIG NEGATIVE. Contrary to what stupid companies like TeraFlex will tell you and the bad information you can find on other forums, you CANNOT add cross caster on a SOLID AXLE. Attempting to do so will just put an enormous strain on your axle and joints. This WILL lead to premature bushing failure and possible control arm, mounts or even an axle tube breaks. Trust me, I have personally seen it happen many times in the past 10 years.

very good points. never thought of that. i would assume you are meaning extreme caster differences? or minor? i haven't seen a axle break yet , so what would you run as an acceptable difference? i run mine a 3 1/2 * both sides and accept the pull.i chalk most of it up to road crown anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
very good points. never thought of that. i would assume you are meaning extreme caster differences? or minor? i haven't seen a axle break yet , so what would you run as an acceptable difference? i run mine a 3 1/2 * both sides and accept the pull.i chalk most of it up to road crown anyway.

The end forgings on factory axles are always off from one to the other by just a bit. It's far from being enough to make a difference and I would recommend that you set your adjustable control arms to the EXACT SAME LENGTH just as your fixed OE control arms would have been from the factory.

Crso8541

The end forgings on factory axles are always off from one to the other by just a bit. It's far from being enough to make a difference and I would recommend that you set your adjustable control arms to the EXACT SAME LENGTH just as your fixed OE control arms would have been from the factory.

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to rotate my tires around and look at my CA's again. I know my fronts are good I just need to take another look at the rear to be sure about it. Hopefully one of these things are off and I just missed it.

WJCO

Meme King
So I went and had he alignment checked, what's your guys thoughts?

As far as those numbers causing a pull, won't happen. Alignment is good. However, your caster per that printout is way to low and that will cause shitty handling but not a pull. You said earlier your caster was at 4 but that printout shows 2.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, for one, you have way too little caster. You really need to get that up to +4°. Also, looks like you've got slightly less negative camber going on your passenger side and I suppose that could be enough to give you just a hair more drag to cause a pull to that side but I seriously doubt it. Again, you're feeling radial pull and that's normal for a tire like yours. Get your caster up to where it needs to be and that might help reduce what you're feeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As far as those numbers causing a pull, won't happen. Alignment is good. However, your caster per that printout is way to low and that will cause shitty handling but not a pull. You said earlier your caster was at 4 but that printout shows 2.

LOL!! Beat me to it :crazyeyes:

Crso8541

It's funny, the guy that checked the alignment was telling me he sets all his alignments up with cross caster. Which then he was like it helps to compensate for the road crown. When I asked about the strain on a solid axels, he then started acting like I was meaning that my gears were welded and locked. That was the point I just got my print out, said thank you for his time and left. The people that work on cars amaze me sometimes. Maybe I'll just go ahead and by the hydro steer and be done with it all...:thumb: thanks again for all your guys help!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
It's funny, the guy that checked the alignment was telling me he sets all his alignments up with cross caster. Which then he was like it helps to compensate for the road crown. When I asked about the strain on a solid axels, he then started acting like I was meaning that my gears were welded and locked. That was the point I just got my print out, said thank you for his time and left. The people that work on cars amaze me sometimes. Maybe I'll just go ahead and by the hydro steer and be done with it all...:thumb: thanks again for all your guys help!

I don't understand how hydro steer will fix all your problems

Top Bottom