JKU Sahara to Rubicon suspension question

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey everyone,
I've got 90k miles on my Sahara Unlimited and I got a set of shocks & springs from a low mileage 2016 Rubicon Unlimited. I've got the rubi's stock wheels & tires too.

Do I need to loosen my control arms when I swap it in? I'm going stock to stock so I'd imagine no, but I figured I'd double check since I'm switching model's suspension. I don't have a BB or anything.

Sent from my duck blind.

J

JKDream

Hey everyone,
I've got 90k miles on my Sahara Unlimited and I got a set of shocks & springs from a low mileage 2016 Rubicon Unlimited. I've got the rubi's stock wheels & tires too.

Do I need to loosen my control arms when I swap it in? I'm going stock to stock so I'd imagine no, but I figured I'd double check since I'm switching model's suspension. I don't have a BB or anything.

Sent from my duck blind.
You don't need to loosen them. Just undoing the shocks/track bar will allow enough droop to pull the coils.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you're going from stock to stock, I would imagine that you'll be fine without having to loosen everything up. Any difference in height you might see shouldn't be enough to matter.

longarmwj

Like JKDream said, you only need to take the shocks off and obviously the springs. If you find you need some more droop, disconnect the swaybar end links and it should drop down more then you need.

ScoobyCarolanNC

You don't need to loosen them. Just undoing the shocks/track bar will allow enough droop to pull the coils.

Being that you're going from stock to stock, I would imagine that you'll be fine without having to loosen everything up. Any difference in height you might see shouldn't be enough to matter.

Like JKDream said, you only need to take the shocks off and obviously the springs. If you find you need some more droop, disconnect the swaybar end links and it should drop down more then you need.

Thanks & Appreciated!

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Quick question. Anyone know if the front top shock bushings & hardware are the same between the rubicon & non shocks? The guy I bought my parts from didn't give me everything. I can probably reuse mine if they're interchangeable.

Sent from my duck blind.

Heavyhaul07

Quick question. Anyone know if the front top shock bushings & hardware are the same between the rubicon & non shocks? The guy I bought my parts from didn't give me everything. I can probably reuse mine if they're interchangeable.

Sent from my duck blind.

I can't say for sure. But u can remove drivers side and check.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

I have plans to do this same thing when the weather gets nicer. Thanks for posting and for the advice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice. Here's a write-up Eddie did for installing a spacer lift I'm using as a reference. This'll have your tool list and just skip the steps about installing new parts.

Jeep JK Wrangler 2.5" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=3976

Sent from My duck blind using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Dark out so I couldn't get pics. After 90K miles I can tell you the new rubicon suspension definitely has her standing a bit taller. The front springs were the same part number but the backs weren't. With only 3K on them though it made a minor difference. This is a nice upgrade if you're not doing a lift anytime soon.

Sent from My duck blind using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom