Coolant smell 3.6

mastrcruse

Check the radiator around where the plastic and aluminum meet. There's been a lot of radiator leaks and they seem to come from the plastic/aluminum seams. Usually very small leaks so look hard.

scull20

Likely a slow radiator leak and/or thermostat housing leak (ask me how I know). There seems to be a thread about this popping up more and more often.

shortyokc

I had mine changed at 25,000 miles for a minor leak you could smell but never dripped until the end. When inspected I could see dried red coolant on the plastic end cap crimps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

bouche03

Found my 2015 Rubicon leaving a red puddle of coolant in the driveway w 29,000 miles this week, a week after an axle seal replacement. Dealership is getting to know me the last little bit. Going in Thursday, we'll see what the verdict is. Seems like this is a common issue.

dirtdonthurt

I hate the end caps being plastic. Seems to be almost every vehicle now. Anyway my 15 has a slight smell from time to time. A brief sweet smell. Had the fans out and nothing was found. Just a waiting game now[emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

Could be a pin hole leak in a hose. Clean your engine bay then look again.

Worst case add black pepper to the coolant.

Edit: the black pepper magic is a trail fix...

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Short drives, long drives, after wheeling, all the time?

Depending on how full my overflow tank gets it will sometimes come out the relief drain. Doesn't happen often, but happen now and then. It will seep out and drip into the front diff/axle and then heat up.

From what I've been told, I can be normal if the overflow is too full.

Coop

Caught the Bug
It's a shame, but every Chrysler product I have had, has developed this same leak. Never at the same mileage, but guaranteed to happen.

Growlz

Same with me also. The Jeep was in the dealer for a total of about 9 weeks on and off looking for leaks. The coolant is never low. Replaced Radiator, all the hoses, reservoir bottle. They never could find a leak. Chrysler corporate even got involved for a couple days with engineering and they couldn't locate the source either but they did say they are starting to see it happening more and more.
On one of the tests they clamped the hose going from the radiator to the reservoir and took it for a drive. That was the only time they did a test drive and never had it smell. That's when they replaced the overflow hose and bottle. That didn't solve the issue.
I keep bugging my Customer Rep from Chrysler so they don't forget about the issue and my dealer service manager is in touch with the Chrysler Tech every week hoping for a solution. I'll drive the thing until it starts leaking hopefully from somewhere.

LasVegasJK

I dropped my 2015 off at the dealership for the coolant smell today. They pressure tested it said that there doesn't seem to be a leak. The service rep said they will pressurize the system tonight and see what it reads in the morning.
This dealership just opened and I think my Jeep may be their first service job. Not sure if that's good or not. But I'm inclined to believe that at the very least, they aren't rushing it through because they are busy.

LasVegasJK

Picked my Jeep up from dealer. Pressure test revealed no leaks. I guess I just have to smell the coolant.
They also downloaded some updates and installed a new mirror that was rattling.

Top Bottom