Spring sag

13jkdune

So my 13 jk with smittybuilt rear bumper with tire carrier with 35 and a front extreme terrain front bumper with 8500pd smittybuilt winch

Installed a teraflex 2.5 lift with shocks and extended bump stops and track at bracket

But my rear extended bump stops are almost touching the stock bump stops in the rear

Was wonder if I should just add spacers or get stronger spring or a 3.5 lift

All the arms are stock and trackbars

Just trying to figure what the best option is

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

R

RockyMtnAnvil

I assume you're sporting the "squatting dog" look? I had a similar issue when I was running a heavy rear bumper. I originally opted for spacers, but quickly discovered that by doing so my springs would stack solid :naw: before the bump stops would contact. Depending on your build you may want to run the next highest spring in the rear.

ChiliDawg

So my 13 jk with smittybuilt rear bumper with tire carrier with 35 and a front extreme terrain front bumper with 8500pd smittybuilt winch

Installed a teraflex 2.5 lift with shocks and extended bump stops and track at bracket

But my rear extended bump stops are almost touching the stock bump stops in the rear

Was wonder if I should just add spacers or get stronger spring or a 3.5 lift

All the arms are stock and trackbars

Just trying to figure what the best option is

Got a pic?

I've got a bit of squat in mine right now after adding a rear bumper that I'm going to add a spacer to correct, but I don't think mine is as bad as it sounds yours is. IMG_2797.JPG

I don't think you want a 3.5" lift. That's gonna have you sitting way higher than that you need to be to clear 35's, plus you'll have other things you need to change besides the coils.

Last edited:

ChiliDawg

I think you can get the JKU version of the same coils you have now and they'll be stiffer and compress less than your current ones. If you're happy with what your ride height was before.

benatc1

Hooked
I don't think a spacer is a bad idea, you will have the same travel as before, it will be cheap and an easy fix. if you add a taller spring your not helping your droop at all but effectively getting the same raise as if you added a spacer, just more expensive. I'm not 100% sure on this but wouldn't the spring be essentially compressed the same due to weight? so you wouldn't gain anything from the spring- basically a taller spring just has more rings not more space between those rings...someone please correct me if I'm wrong here..

when I added taller springs to my 2 door I did it to level it out due to weight but I also added longer shocks so if have better down travel to use the taller springs, otherwise I would have just thrown a spacer in.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the spring are sagging won't they just continue to sag

Only if you add even more weight than you have now or if you somehow end up over compressing your coils. Otherwise, where they're sitting now should be the extent of their sag. Adding specific spacers of the height you've lost will bring you back to wherever it is you want to be. Buying new coils will be a crap shoot because most don't measure up to what they're advertised as - you could end up way too tall, way too short or with an even shittier ride than you have now.

BaddestCross

For all the reasons you listed I went to the HD OME 2" springs. Ride quality is great so far. Haven't had a chance to go do another run in the desert with them yet, but on the street the difference is 100% improved.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For all the reasons you listed I went to the HD OME 2" springs. Ride quality is great so far. Haven't had a chance to go do another run in the desert with them yet, but on the street the difference is 100% improved.

Yet more proof that ride quality is 100% subjective. I've run OME HD coils and couldn't get them off my Jeep fast enough. Sure, they held up a ton of gear well but they were without question, one of the harshest riding coils I'd ever ridden on.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Only if you add even more weight than you have now or if you somehow end up over compressing your coils. Otherwise, where they're sitting now should be the extent of their sag. Adding specific spacers of the height you've lost will bring you back to wherever it is you want to be. Buying new coils will be a crap shoot because most don't measure up to what they're advertised as - you could end up way too tall, way too short or with an even shittier ride than you have now.

I agree here. Spring height is a crap shoot for so many reasons and variables. Sag is dependent on weight you've added as you stated with heavy bumper etc ... With a spacer you know exactly how much added height you will get. My .02

BaddestCross

Yet more proof that ride quality is 100% subjective. I've run OME HD coils and couldn't get them off my Jeep fast enough. Sure, they held up a ton of gear well but they were without question, one of the harshest riding coils I'd ever ridden on.
Unloaded I could see that being so, but with the heavy bumper/carrier plus hard top I'm running they're great. They feel the same to me as the medium duty did before I loaded the rear end. But, yes, completely subjective.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'd run spacers. Measure from the ground to the fender lip on either side. I bet you'll find the passenger side is lower than the drivers. You can use different length spacers on either side to help level the jeep out. You might need a 1/2" drivers side and 1" passenger side for example.

Top Bottom