So much for a simple oil change!!

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
So I stopped at my friends shop today to change the engine oil and rotate the tires. Well I was at it, I was going to change the engine air filter and cabin air filters too. Prior to ordering the cabin air filter, I wanted to pull the old ones out. Go to remove them and........ It has none! Lol this whole time I have had the jk, it has had no cabin air filters. No big deal, just thought that was goofy.

I racked my JK and lifted it up with the hoist. Immediately I observe oil on the trans pan. I look and smelt the oil and it turned out to be engine oil. Poking around more, I saw the oil came from the top of the bell housing. Growing a little more concerned, I lowered it back down to check the top of the motor. The valve covers were dry all the way around. Then I looked with a mirror and could see oil was coming from the middle by the valley. Looked into the valley and could see oil. It appears my oil cooler is leaking.

I searched the Internet and found many others have had this problem with the 3.6L. So I call the Jeep dealer and asked if they had the part in stock and the parts guy said they had a few. I asked how common is this problem with the 3.6 and how often do they change them, he replied almost every day. I asked if the new cooler is an upgraded version to eliminate this problem and he said the oil coolers they have are the newest version and they HOPE this will fix it. SMH

The cooler is around $240.00 dollars plus another $40.00 for intake gaskets. I will see if I have the patience enough to take pictures for a write up. Anyone else have this problem?

WJCO

Meme King
Regarding the cabin filter, ive seen many vehicles over the years with a filter location but no actual filter from the factory until you put one in. Not sure why, but not really uncommon. :idontknow:

aermotor

How many miles on your JK? I thought I'd be free of the oil woes when getting a 3.6L, but it appears maybe not so...

Wethy

So I stopped at my friends shop today to change the engine oil and rotate the tires. Well I was at it, I was going to change the engine air filter and cabin air filters too. Prior to ordering the cabin air filter, I wanted to pull the old ones out. Go to remove them and........ It has none! Lol this whole time I have had the jk, it has had no cabin air filters. No big deal, just thought that was goofy.

I racked my JK and lifted it up with the hoist. Immediately I observe oil on the trans pan. I look and smelt the oil and it turned out to be engine oil. Poking around more, I saw the oil came from the top of the bell housing. Growing a little more concerned, I lowered it back down to check the top of the motor. The valve covers were dry all the way around. Then I looked with a mirror and could see oil was coming from the middle by the valley. Looked into the valley and could see oil. It appears my oil cooler is leaking.

I searched the Internet and found many others have had this problem with the 3.6L. So I call the Jeep dealer and asked if they had the part in stock and the parts guy said they had a few. I asked how common is this problem with the 3.6 and how often do they change them, he replied almost every day. I asked if the new cooler is an upgraded version to eliminate this problem and he said the oil coolers they have are the newest version and they HOPE this will fix it. SMH

The cooler is around $240.00 dollars plus another $40.00 for intake gaskets. I will see if I have the patience enough to take pictures for a write up. Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure why, but mine also did not have the filters

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Now you guys have me wondering if my '15 has a cabin filter. Is it behind the glovebox?

I've wondered this my self for those of you that have checked. Do you have A/C in your jeep? My 14 Sport doesn't and it didn't have cabin air filters so I'm wondering if the models that have AC get them and the ones that don't , don't lol.

gheller

My 17 Willys did not come with cabin air filters. I just put in a couple of K&N filters.
From what I've heard the filters come with the Automatic climate control system. Those without Auto climate control don't come with filters, which still doesn't make sense to me but there seems to be a method to their madness.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My Jeep is prob the only vehicle I have ever seen that doesn't come with a cabin filter from factory. I added some a year or so ago. I have also seen in my friends Jeeps that they don't have them either so I know it wasn't just an oddity. I think Jeep doesn't add them on purpose just because of how many people run topless and doorless

Jeepfan30

My 2014 leaked from the same spot and Oil cooler needed to be replaced. It leaked from where the oil filter housing went into the manifold. Oil would pool on the top of the manifold and then go pouring down the bell houseing area when enough pooled.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
My 2014 leaked from the same spot and Oil cooler needed to be replaced. It leaked from where the oil filter housing went into the manifold. Oil would pool on the top of the manifold and then go pouring down the bell houseing area when enough pooled.

Yeah pretty much what mine is doing. I will tackle to job later in the week. Should not be too hard.

Mando

My 17 Willys did not come with cabin air filters. I just put in a couple of K&N filters.
From what I've heard the filters come with the Automatic climate control system. Those without Auto climate control don't come with filters, which still doesn't make sense to me but there seems to be a method to their madness.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

You're right about this Gheller. My Rubi came without, and if I wanted them, I had to opt for the Automatic Climate Control .. which was a hundred odd dollar option. After installing and knowing the price of these little filters, the ACC option would have been a bargain.

Cheers!

Markymark420

Never realized I had cabin air filters until my blower fan started to squeak it's way to its own death.

After blower fan replacement, the replacement filters I got are still are in the box on the shelf as they seem pointless in a vehicle with multiple ways to configure the roof and doors to experience more of the of the outside environment and use the jeep to the intent of its design.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Never realized I had cabin air filters until my blower fan started to squeak it's way to its own death.

After blower fan replacement, the replacement filters I got are still are in the box on the shelf as they seem pointless in a vehicle with multiple ways to configure the roof and doors to experience more of the of the outside environment and use the jeep to the intent of its design.

Mine is squeaking now, I'm guessing from all the dust this summer. Dust would blow out of my vents when I turned the A/C on high.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

Top Bottom