NEW Jeep JL Wrangler Power Top?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw that Dave Zatz published the following 3 illustrations on AllPar today and as you can see, they are for an FCA patent application regarding some kind of power top. According to the article, the "top overcomes the challenges of the Wrangler shape and unique needs — including being able to operate even when there is an obstacle in the cargo bay." NOt 100% sure if this is what we will be seeing on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler or if it'll be an option but, what do you think of it?

top-down.gif

closed-roof.gif

roof-diagram.gif

Article published here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/2017/01/is-this-the-wrangler-power-top-36201

chili4x4

I dont care for it

I wouldn't pay for it.. Too much weight, too many potential problems for no real benefit IMHO.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I can already see all of the tech threads - :crazyeyes:

"Power top broke - HELP!"

"Power top issues"

"Is anyone else having issues with their power top after leaving it down in the rain?"

vgullotta

jeeps were not meant to have automatic convertible tops. no thank you!

I don't know, I kind of disagree with most. I wish my old YJs had automatic tops, as well as my JK, and I was young when I had the YJs lol. I remember even talking with friends about it, but we were all way too dumb/drunk to figure it out at the time lol. I mean, you can say the same thing about a lot of things Jeep has done in the past, and I'm sure MANY people have said:

Jeeps weren't meant to have 4 doors
Jeeps weren't meant to have square headlights
Jeeps weren't meant to have automatic transmissions
Jeeps weren't meant to have power windows and door locks
Jeeps weren't meant to have heated seats and leather
Jeeps weren't meant to have safety features other than a hella dangerous roll bar

There's a lot of gripe about the new Jeep, but there's a lot of gripe about every new Jeep. I think the auto top sounds like a great idea as long as it tucks away pretty well, however it is another thing that can break on you. I probably would wait for the second gen of these tops before I got one, but auto top sounds awesome to me lol. From this picture, it looks like the rear window folds forward and the rest of the top folds and stacks on top of it, could be cool. :beer:

SJ21XDC

I'll pass :grayno: I would think a hard top with a large sunroof would work better for those that would buy this :idontknow:

Blue92

I don't know, I kind of disagree with most. I wish my old YJs had automatic tops, as well as my JK, and I was young when I had the YJs lol. I remember even talking with friends about it, but we were all way too dumb/drunk to figure it out at the time lol. I mean, you can say the same thing about a lot of things Jeep has done in the past, and I'm sure MANY people have said:

Jeeps weren't meant to have safety features other than a hella dangerous roll bar

There's a lot of gripe about the new Jeep, but there's a lot of gripe about every new Jeep. I think the auto top sounds like a great idea as long as it tucks away pretty well, however it is another thing that can break on you. I probably would wait for the second gen of these tops before I got one, but auto top sounds awesome to me lol. From this picture, it looks like the rear window folds forward and the rest of the top folds and stacks on top of it, could be cool. :beer:

Tucks away pretty well = no cargo space in rear

It looks like a "Skyslider" from the Liberty mated with a soft top. Interesting to say the least. Sure, I threw up in my mouth a little when I first saw it, but I'm looking forward to seeing the working finished product. Probably not an option that I would choose.

Fordtough68

But,......jeeps AREN'T meant to have square headlights!

Top Bottom