First shop experience

Hey guys, I'm back again today with a some what good experience but also a question.
I went down to a local 4x4 shop today and it's my very first experience in a shop, all my previous wrenching on my jeep has been done in my garage with some jack stands and some wrenches. I've recently installed an EVO drag link flip kit and I have some gussets, ball joints, truss, then welding front track bar bracket and a torquing of my whole suspension. It's to much for me to do especially since i cannot weld.

Now the guy was awesome! Super helpful we talked about possible ideas for the future of my jeep. He was talking to me about the history of the shop and showed me around it was super cool! For all the work and it would be one day turn around he quoted me $650 [emoji33]. So being my first shop experience I'm not sure if this is normal or to much? Do shops charge $100 an hour or $50 I'm just not sure what is good or not. I've called other shops to get a quote on just ball joints and they said $400 so for an extra $200 I'll be getting the suspension torque, gussets, control arm skids and a truss? I have the ball joints and gussets already so he said it's Lower because of that?

I'm just looking for some first time advice so go easy on me if it's a dumb question. Just noobie looking for some helpful information..
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey guys, I'm back again today with a some what good experience but also a question.
I went down to a local 4x4 shop today and it's my very first experience in a shop, all my previous wrenching on my jeep has been done in my garage with some jack stands and some wrenches. I've recently installed an EVO drag link flip kit and I have some gussets, ball joints, truss, then welding front track bar bracket and a torquing of my whole suspension. It's to much for me to do especially since i cannot weld.

Now the guy was awesome! Super helpful we talked about possible ideas for the future of my jeep. He was talking to me about the history of the shop and showed me around it was super cool! For all the work and it would be one day turn around he quoted me $650 [emoji33]. So being my first shop experience I'm not sure if this is normal or to much? Do shops charge $100 an hour or $50 I'm just not sure what is good or not. I've called other shops to get a quote on just ball joints and they said $400 so for an extra $200 I'll be getting the suspension torque, gussets, control arm skids and a truss? I have the ball joints and gussets already so he said it's Lower because of that?

I'm just looking for some first time advice so go easy on me if it's a dumb question. Just noobie looking for some helpful information..
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Every shop is different. My buddy who welds charges 75 an hour and I know another that does 90 and hour, They all vary. If your happy with the labor rate and the work they did then I don't see a reason why you can go back.

As far as price for BJ compared to the rest being done at the same time, I'm gonna guess that most of this guys cost is that he needs tear the front apart to install the ball joints. The rest is easy since it's all welding.

WJCO

Meme King
I deal with independent shops and dealers every day. That price seems pretty reasonable to me. Typically I see right around 100 bucks per hour for an independent shop. May seem expensive, but you think about the costs of running a shop in today's world: lease, payroll, insurance, utilities, upkeep, environmental and safety compliance, supplies, etc. Adds up really quick.

Every shop is different. My buddy who welds charges 75 an hour and I know another that does 90 and hour, They all vary. If your happy with the labor rate and the work they did then I don't see a reason why you can go back.

As far as price for BJ compared to the rest being done at the same time, I'm gonna guess that most of this guys cost is that he needs tear the front apart to install the ball joints. The rest is easy since it's all welding.

I deal with independent shops and dealers every day. That price seems pretty reasonable to me. Typically I see right around 100 bucks per hour for an independent shop. May seem expensive, but you think about the costs of running a shop in today's world: lease, payroll, insurance, utilities, upkeep, environmental and safety compliance, supplies, etc. Adds up really quick.

Thanks guys! I definitely understand it's going to vary and I know they have their over head too!

I didn't think it was to horrible so I'm glad someone thinks so too!

Heavyhaul07

Shop rate where I work is 80 an hr. I've been to shops as high as 150 hr. It kinda goes by the area you live. 100 seams like a reasonable rate. And 650 to do that is about right.

Top Bottom