Rubicon for Sahara?

Chris1015

Hey, all

Short version: Thinking of trading in my 2017 Sahara for a 2017 Rubicon and taking the $$ hit. Rubicon stock features seem far superior to the rest. Not sure of the exact dollar hit I'll be taking, still gotta try and crunch numbers.

Longer version: I was a bit impulsive and didn't realize I'd get totally hooked on wheeling (live and learn). Seems the stuff underneath the Rubicon is well worth it for the added capability of the Jeep. I feel that it will be easier to run 37s if I choose to in the future if I don't just do it in the coming months (currently set to buy 35s). My want is to be capable on any type of trail in the U.S.

Would you add piece by piece to the Sahara or spring for the Rubicon? Or am I just throwing way more money than I could imagine away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

It all depends on how much they want to screw you over on the trade. If it a large sum keep and build the Sahara be cheaper down the road. Imo I'd keep and build the Sahara. Replace front axle with a pr44 if 37" is the largest tire you'll ever run. Add a locker to the rear stock of the Sahara. The pr44 will be a hell of a lot stronger than a rubi 44. Start looking for a rubi t case to swap yours out with if you want the lower ratio t case or swap your stock one for a aftermarket t case.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChiliDawg

If you're going to 37's you're going to end up replacing all the guts of those axles anyway so I wouldn't make the switch for the Rubicon gears and stock lockers. If you like your Jeep I'd save the money and put it into upgrades for what you have now. That's just me though.

Last edited:

tgoss

How much extra $$ are we talking here?

*Edit, not like it's any of my business, I just feel if we have an additional dollar figure it's easier for those of use who have done the mod path more times than we like to admit we can advise you to either just put that money towards very effective proven upgrades to get you to your ultimate goal vs you just blowing a couple grand to get some well worth it factory options.

Last edited:

jkrichard

I look at it this way. The only thing a rubicon has over everything else is the transfer case, front axle being a d44 and the lockers of course, and optional gearing.

It boils down to your end game (who the @$/&$ knows where that is with a jeep), if you want to conquer every trail in America your going to be selling all the parts that make a rubicon, a rubicon, basically everything from the motor back... and maybe the motor too, like I said, end game.

For those of us with anything like a modest income, that is crazy expensive. You will regear regardless. The front axle will still be a weak point. You will likely aim to replace that anyway, swapping internals will save you some cash, or you could go ahead and get 35 spline everything to beef it up with a full unit
... and because you will regear anyway... that leaves you with the difference in sale of the axle vs purchase of the new one in difference. The rear axle, you'll probably swap the guts out of that at some point for 35 spline. Selling some of the rubicon parts you wont use, will earn you a few more dollars than Sahara parts.The T-case may be the only advantage at the end of the day. You won't sell rubi parts for more money than you will lose in a trade (I suspect).

If it were me, I'd just dump the $$ your going to lose in the trade into new parts. I know it's easy to finance a vehicle over financing parts, but honestly if your getting a loan to pay for the jeep, $40k in aftermarket parts is likely not an overnight investment anyway.

If your not planning on doing anything but 37's, a regear and a modest lift maybe it's not a bad idea, if your trade in hit isn't too big, but I suspect it'll be more than a new prorock.

but that's just me.... and people have said I'm batshit crazy...

Edit: ^^Or what he said^^

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Or wait a year and get a JL...

With the resale the way it is, you might come out okay swapping for a rubicon. What will help the decision is to hit up a few dealers and get some estimates. You're already going to be many thousands of dollars in for a PR44. The rubi transfer case, front sway bar disconnect, and the factory lockers are very nice to have too. You'll want 4.88 or 5.13 gears so don't waste the $800 on the 4.10 upgrade if you get an auto.

longarmwj

Coming from somebody who sells Jeeps for a living, stick with the Jeep you have. I'm not sure what your financing arrangements are on your current Jeep, but you probably have a good deal of negative equity given the initial depreciation value within the first few months of owning any vehicle. You'd be better off using any money you had planned on putting down on a Rubicon to just beef up your current one. As other people have said, upgrade to a pro rock and you'll be fine and come out cheaper.

Napalm

If I were to swap my 2016 Sport S for a Rubicon, I'd be so upside down that it probably be cheaper for me to charge a set Prorock 60/60s. LOL. [emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with many here have been saying. If it were me, I'd keep what you have and work from there.

Chris1015

Hey, guys. Thanks a lot for the time and thought. Most of them had me giggling, I know it's a crazy thought. I think I'm gonna keep the Sahara and try to build. 🙄

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear that. Depending on what your willing to put in to it, you could build a great rig off a Sahara platform. I'm struggling with the same dilemma, been thinking of upgrading to a Rubicon as Hawaii isn't the most mod friendly state around. Figured if I'm not going to be able to do much to it, get a Rubicon and do some small upgrades and have a more capable vehicle than I have now. Luckily, though, I have about 18 grand positive equity so it's not really too much of a stretch for me to upgrade.
On the other hand, hard to trade in a vehicle I could have paid off in just a few years. Either way, I think in your case keeping the Sahara and building as you can afford it is probably the most beneficial to you. Plus, it's not like a Sahara isn't able to be used off road. It's still one of the most capable off road vehicles made lol!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Hey, guys. Thanks a lot for the time and thought. Most of them had me giggling, I know it's a crazy thought. I think I'm gonna keep the Sahara and try to build. [emoji849]

A stockish Rubicon is still less than ideal if the goal is to run 37's. Definitely not worth taking a 5-6k hit.

Top Bottom