smittybilt engine transskid SB76922

Hi all

Been thinking about to buy this skid because it is cheap and simple to get for me. My shop can only offer this.

My problem

I´ve read that some people have clearance problems. That the differential does hit the bracket that is bolted to the engine mount when driving around. Not sure if it was only with rubicon and therefore the bigger dana44 diff. I have dana30.

I also do not know if it is because of maybee a faulty installtion of the skid.

Anyone here that can confirm if this skid does work or not? I have jks quick disconnect that I of course would like to be able to take off for more flex and maybee that could be a problem?

I´ve been thinking now for a long time to buy this skid so I was actually going to pull the buy button tonight, but just before that I was doing some extra research if the skid does work on a 2012+ year model and then I saw some post about those clearance problems.

I´ve not heard so many fancy things about "shittybilt" but a rock hard or evo protek system will be to expensive to get here to sweden. I can live with having a smittybilt skid under my jeep but it must fit corrrectly.

Best Regards
Christian

I asked smittybilt about this and acording to them you need at least a 3" liftkit to make sure that the front diff will not hit the skid bracket. Or no liftkit but 3" bumpstop!?:shock::thinking:

In case someone is thinking about this skid this is the recomendation from the manufacture itself.

Of course you can proberly use a grinder or something to solve the problem but I rather buy something that fits from the begining.

WJCO

Meme King
If you're that set on that skid, you may be able to modify it. Or just look into a different skid.

JeepJeep75

I know you said you can only get the shittybuilt, but having to hack and grind on it to make it work sounds like a HUGE compromise of the skids integrity. Look into getting a relative or a friend to ship you something like the EVO Protek or Rockhard skid system. Good luck! [emoji106]

I know you said you can only get the shittybuilt, but having to hack and grind on it to make it work sounds like a HUGE compromise of the skids integrity. Look into getting a relative or a friend to ship you something like the EVO Protek or Rockhard skid system. Good luck! [emoji106]

Well, the shop that I usally buy from could not get anything else, of course I can buy something else. It it just that it will cost more.

As you say, I´m not interested in to start to hack and grind on a new product to make it fit. Then I rather spend some more to get for example a rock hard skid.

For what I know the rock hard will fit even on stock suspension.

I do have a 2" old man emu lift and to be honest I think the shittybilt will fit just fine but when the manufacture itself says you need 3" that´s enough for me to be a deal breaker.

Anyway, the design seems not that good if it is so smal gap between the edge of the diff and the skid bracket that is mounted to the engine mount.

For you who are interested, here is their answer and my question to them.

My question:

ve been thinking about to buy yours transmission, engine skid for the jku wrangler. I�ve a 2012 year modell with automatic and pentastar engine.

Is it just a bolt on and is there some known clearance issue? I�ve read that some people have problem with the front diff hitting the bracket that mounts to the engine mount when the axle is moving up and down. Is there any truth about this or is it only faulty installation that people have done?

I also have jks quick diaconnect for better flex when going off road, can there be a problem with a disconnected swaybar?

This skid is one of a very few options that I can buy but before any purchase I must know that it will fit correctly.

My jeep is a sahara 4 door 2012 with automatic transmission and the pentastar engine.

I�ve old man emu 2" lift and jks quick disconnect installed.

Best Regards
Christian

their answer:

Hello Christian,

These kits require a minimum of a 3" inch or higher lift kit. With suspensions lower than that, it will have an issue with clearance at the top of the front diff.

Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I would trust a smittybilt bumper, or maybe a winch.... however, I'm not so sure how I would trust their skids...afterall, if the skid plate fails and buckles in, it's most likely going right up into your transmission, oil pan, or worse. I would spend some extra green and buy a better brand. Just my .02!

:rock:

Shoe

I have the Smity skid plate on my jkur, with no lift I had to adjust the arms from the frame to the skid so it would not hit. With a RK 2.5 and 3" bumps stops it does not hit. I have not hit anything with it so I can not comment on it. I don't rock crawl.

Top Bottom