Jeep JL Wrangler 3.0L EcoDiesel May be Delayed or Nixed

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, FCA has come under fire recently over allegations that they may have been cheating on their diesel emissions and in a recent article published in Forbes, they noted that there's a chance the elusive 3.0L EcoDiesel that was expected to be an option on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler, could be delayed or cancelled altogether. Will this matter to you? Or, would you just hold out and hope that it will come eventually? I'd love to hear what you think.

Reports suggest the next-gen Jeep could also offer a turbodiesel engine, which we’d expect would be the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 currently offered in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 pickup. Unfortunately it could be delayed or perhaps nixed altogether because of alleged emissions cheating with those models.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2017/01/19/sneak-peek-2018-jeep-wrangler/2/#24a329f15de9

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I read that article. Although I love the thought of a diesel in a Wrangler, I'd personally want to see what the new Hurricane is like as well and make a decision from there. If the JL redesign is good enough, is just drive both gas engines back to back to see what I'd want and purchase from there. I guess in short form, my answer is no, it wouldn't matter to me if the diesel got nixed as long as the redesign was good enough. If the JL was just a JK with some minor changes to it and the diesel was the only added benefit to the redesign, then I'd just stick with the JK.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm probably in the minority, but I have zero interest in a diesel so if they drop it I wouldn't care at all.

Ddays

Hooked
If my choices were between a diesel and a small turbo 4, I'd much rather have the diesel's low end torque. The turbo 4's power delivery will be completely different.

Edit: And I'm not really crazy about a diesel either. I'm completely satisfied with the 3.6's performance.

RSQCON

Having test driven a Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel it would be a shame if that motor doesn't find its way into the JL. My plan is to mod the JK I have on order and then pickup a JL 5-6 years down the road as a daily driver and am certainly hoping for a diesel.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I figured this was coming when I saw the FCA cheating article. I liked the idea of owning a Diesel Jeep truck, but it isn't a deal breaker. I'll plan on getting the a gas on instead.

vitodivita

I'm not hearing good things reliability wise with the 3.0 engine. And I'm sure car makers are scared of diesel after the vw fiasco. With that said, if it's reliable I'd be in on it, great mileage and torque in that motor..

whatroads

It would be a shame to see the diesel option go away. That said, I've already set my mind to a JL Unlimited Rubicon w/ 3.6. I'm still on the fence on the 8 speed auto or the new 6 speed manual. I recently drove my wife's 2012 manual on the street only. On level ground you don't even have to give it gas to get going. And, hers has a 3.73 gear. With a Rubi I will make sure I get the 4.10 gear ratio

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't they do what everybody really wants and put a v-8 in the JL, or am I the monitory?

Because, as it is, the Wrangler has one of the biggest carbon footprints in the FCA line up. In fact, the 2-door JK has a bigger one than the Hellcat Challenger. FCA needs to make the Wrangler lighter and more fuel efficient or else there won't be a Wrangler. It sucks for sure but I think their hands are tied.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The 3.0 diesel is an incredible engine, and if you haven't driven one, you owe it to yourself. They are pretty good from the factory, but with a cleaned up tune they perform beautifully, and reliably. Truly an amazing engine, and IMHO, next to the hellcat engine, probably the best engine in Chrysler's lineup. You get the benefits of a big v8 with none of the drawbacks. The benefits of a 4 banger with none of the tedium. It would be an amazing engine in a wrangler because diesels aren't as sensitive to weight, so when you add 1000lbs of armor and things to your rig, your performance will remain close to stock. It will be a huge blow if they nix the JL diesel.

Now, IMHO, FCA doesn't appear to have done what VW has done, and claim it is just a misunderstanding of sorts, so lets hope things work out and they release the diesels they are holding hostage. These are not your grandfathers diesels, these are clean power making compact powerplants.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm not hearing good things reliability wise with the 3.0 engine. And I'm sure car makers are scared of diesel after the vw fiasco. With that said, if it's reliable I'd be in on it, great mileage and torque in that motor..

My dad's GC is 55k on the clock, not a single issue with the motor. Most issues with modern diesels are usually emissions related, and lets be honest.....gearheads, which probably includes everyone on this forum, will rip that garbage out the third day they own it to increase their reliability 3 fold, get 10% better gas mileage, and 20% more power, with a better torque curve and less carbon buildup as well as zero turbo lag.

Just look at the carbon cleanup!!!!
http://www.greendieselengineering.com/PerfCompFCAEcoDiesel.action

longarmwj

The EcoDiesel is a monster of a motor. We had a guy from North Carolina bring a modified one down to a local cruise in car show. He had an exhaust on it, intercooler upgrade, and a tune and was making close to 600 foot pounds of torque. It truly would be a shame not to have one in the JL, because that is more then likely which motor I would go with when I order mine

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The EcoDiesel is a monster of a motor. We had a guy from North Carolina bring a modified one down to a local cruise in car show. He had an exhaust on it, intercooler upgrade, and a tune and was making close to 600 foot pounds of torque. It truly would be a shame not to have one in the JL, because that is more then likely which motor I would go with when I order mine

And he was probably getting 35mpg highway.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
It could really hurt us here in Europe as many sales are Diesel.

Otherwise the 2.8 diesel euro JK resale value will go up even more!!!:thumb:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
My dad's GC is 55k on the clock, not a single issue with the motor. Most issues with modern diesels are usually emissions related, and lets be honest.....gearheads, which probably includes everyone on this forum, will rip that garbage out the third day they own it to increase their reliability 3 fold, get 10% better gas mileage, and 20% more power, with a better torque curve and less carbon buildup as well as zero turbo lag.

Just look at the carbon cleanup!!!!
http://www.greendieselengineering.com/PerfCompFCAEcoDiesel.action

Don't even think of ripping out the Emissions controls...we've tried here in Europe and it's a f@@king headache: you have to delete DPF and cat, delete EGR, modify all the ECU programming for the variable geometry turbo, the diesel injection timings, etc etc.... nobody wants to go there unless he has a deep knowledge and equipment for reprogramming the whole computer.

Top Bottom