Rock light wiring

jlayton30

I'm looking to install some led rock lights this weekend. Ultimately I want them to come on when I unlock the Jeep with the key fob but I also want to control them via switch when I'm off-roading. I believe I need to tap into the dome light to achieve this. Can anyone take a look at my very novice wiring diagram to see if it would work? I think I need to install a diode to control the current crime the dome light. Also does anyone know what color wire controls the dome light in a 2011 Rubicon?Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_0937.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Technically, yes, it will work. And assuming the diode is installed right...
(load) ----|<---- (Source)
(-) ----|<---- (+)
(Cathode) --[| ]--- (Anode)

But this puts a strain on the Jeeps existing systems.

I would recommend wiring the interior lights to a relay, through a diode. Then powering the rock lights through the relay.
This diagram can help, But you don't really need the diode heading to the "Switch".
Rock_Light_Wiring_zps4aogx2tf.jpg

Edit: oh, and there is a light pod under the dash that turns on with the dome. There are two LEDs, the other one turns on with the headlights.
It might be the yellow/white wire.
and a good diode might be the 1N5402, It can take up to 3A load,

Last edited:

RUBEERCON

Neat. Do the headlights come on with unlock, can't remember we have 3 cars that do different things. I was thinking about adding a few rocker panel lights ran off the headlight wire but I have not researched it, only day dreamed about it. Wanted a little side light for entering the jeep.

jlayton30

I'll try to get some more pics soon. I tapped into the dome light wire yellow/white on the passenger side. Lights come one when you unlock the Jeep or open the doors. I wanted to also control them by a switch when off-road So I wired in a diode following the diagram above.

jlayton30

IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0866.JPG IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0992.JPG

Sorry for the delay. I was pulled away on a laundry room remodel project. (Happy wife, happy life). Not the best pics. IT hope they help. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see something in more detail.

World Traveler 76

I have been wanting to do this for a while, but not sure of the steps. Glad I ran across this thread.

Would this work on a 2016 JK (same wiring diagram/process)?

Do I need to only tap into the “hot” since my rock lights are grounded through my s-pod?

Are there any step by step instructions someone could pass?

I’m handy, but still very much a novice, so any guidance I could get would be greatly appreciated. Would rather tackle this than pay a shop 5 hours of labor if I can avoid it. Especially if the process is fairly simple.

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

World Traveler 76

After finding a 2nd thread with a link to a step by step, this project is complete. 30-40 min and about $8-9 worth of materials...boom. Glad I kept digging around and came across these threads. Love being able to light up the ground while walking up to it in a parking lot.

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Any pics of the actual wiring with the diode installed? Did you end up using a relay? If so, can you show how you wired it up. I’m always nervous about messing with the wiring. I’ve been know to try a circuit board or two because of simple wiring mistakes

World Traveler 76

Any pics of the actual wiring with the diode installed? Did you end up using a relay? If so, can you show how you wired it up. I’m always nervous about messing with the wiring. I’ve been know to try a circuit board or two because of simple wiring mistakes

I got too excited about giving this a try and forgot about taking snaps as I went along. But here are some after the fact.

I found an 1n5402 diode pack from my local radio shack...

IMG_1273.jpg

...curled the ends of the diode (needle nose pliers will do) and soldered wires on either end. Using some heat shrink tubing, I encased the diode pretty heavily. I planned on running the diode outside of the Jeep.

This is important....Was advised that the path of the electricity goes from one end of the diode to the end with the stripe on it. One way.

Recommend unless you map out your path and know your runs ahead of time, and where you intend on placing the diode in the line, keep a liberal amount of wire on both ends. I opted to place the diode side of the setup outside, just under sPod. So I kept one lead fairly short. Here’s the electric path....

IMG_1274.jpg

... The power feed from the dome light wire, should be connected “into” the side of the diode without the stripe. Using a connector, found the Yellow Wire with White Stripe (this is important) under my carpet and tapped into it...

IMG_1266.jpg

...fished it through my firewall...

IMG_1267.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg

....fished it around to the “output” side sPod relay, and connected it to (using the same connector as the inside) to the single red/hot wire that feeds the rock lights.

Not trying to insult your intelligence: The diode prevents power from the sPod switch from “back channeling” into the dome light, and only allows power from the dome light to flow “into” the path of the rock lights.

One click of the unlock button, and now the ground is illuminated as I approach the Jeep. The rock lights time out with the dome light. Even gradually fade to black on the dome light timer. Rocker switch operates as normal.

If I turn on the interior dome light, the rock lights come on as well. Not an issue for me as I don’t plan on running my dome light while I drive. But if the wife does while we are driving, guess I can watch the asphalt roll by also.

Hope this helps!

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I got too excited about giving this a try and forgot about taking snaps as I went along. But here are some after the fact.

I found an 1n5402 diode pack from my local radio shack...

View attachment 288332

...curled the ends of the diode (needle nose pliers will do) and soldered wires on either end. Using some heat shrink tubing, I encased the diode pretty heavily. I planned on running the diode outside of the Jeep.

This is important....Was advised that the path of the electricity goes from one end of the diode to the end with the stripe on it. One way.

Recommend unless you map out your path and know your runs ahead of time, and where you intend on placing the diode in the line, keep a liberal amount of wire on both ends. I opted to place the diode side of the setup outside, just under sPod. So I kept one lead fairly short. Here’s the electric path....

View attachment 288333

... The power feed from the dome light wire, should be connected “into” the side of the diode without the stripe. Using a connector, found the Yellow Wire with White Stripe (this is important) under my carpet and tapped into it...

View attachment 288334

...fished it through my firewall...

View attachment 288335
View attachment 288336

....fished it around to the “output” side sPod relay, and connected it to (using the same connector as the inside) to the single red/hot wire that feeds the rock lights.

Not trying to insult your intelligence: The diode prevents power from the sPod switch from “back channeling” into the dome light, and only allows power from the dome light to flow “into” the path of the rock lights.

One click of the unlock button, and now the ground is illuminated as I approach the Jeep. The rock lights time out with the dome light. Even gradually fade to black on the dome light timer. Rocker switch operates as normal.

If I turn on the interior dome light, the rock lights come on as well. Not an issue for me as I don’t plan on running my dome light while I drive. But if the wife does while we are driving, guess I can watch the asphalt roll by also.

Hope this helps!

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

Wow. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much! This really helps.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Sorry if this is a silly question but is this the same process if one doesn't have a accessory power system?

World Traveler 76

MSJKU11, great question actually. I assume if you have rock lights, you have some way of switching them on/off. Yes, in theory, this process should work.

However, if your switch relay is not on a fuse, you’d have to ask someone with more expertise if there is going to be any crossing of the electrical “streams”. Since my sPod relays are also fused, I opted to chance it. So far, so good.

Disclaimer: I am no electric genius. This project and two brake lights (in tire LED ring and above glass flat lens, removing my stock 3rd brake light) are all I have taken a gamble in “splicing” in.

Good luck.

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

Top Bottom