Any reason to keep stock front driveshaft after removing it?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So I put in an Adams 1350 front driveshaft. I have a bad habit of throwing away stuff that I regretted (stock track bar for example), but is there any use in hell for the stock front driveshaft? I can't imagine using it as a trail spare because I'm not going to be able to swap the ends at the axle/transfer case on the trail. So... shit-can it, or keep it in the corner of the garage?

zimm

Caught the Bug
eh good point. I'll post it on my local club forum- trade for beer. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a real possibility to use it as a trail spare part.

GraniteCrystal

I always planned on keeping mine as a trail spare. I know it doesn't have the same clearance but it's better than nothing, at least in my head.

Can anyone add experience demonstrating the stock DS never should go back on in a pinch?

jorgelrod

Hooked
So I put in an Adams 1350 front driveshaft. I have a bad habit of throwing away stuff that I regretted (stock track bar for example), but is there any use in hell for the stock front driveshaft? I can't imagine using it as a trail spare because I'm not going to be able to swap the ends at the axle/transfer case on the trail. So... shit-can it, or keep it in the corner of the garage?

You can keep it for sentimental reasons but that's about it...

Mtb275

I always planned on keeping mine as a trail spare. I know it doesn't have the same clearance but it's better than nothing, at least in my head.

Can anyone add experience demonstrating the stock DS never should go back on in a pinch?

If you put a 1310 or 1350 on you have to change the yokes at pinion and transfer case.

I guess you could carry stock yokes and change it all out. [emoji15] that would not be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I'd give it to someone who can use a spare. It's nice to have if you run moderate to advanced trails.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you put a 1310 or 1350 on you have to change the yokes at pinion and transfer case.

I guess you could carry stock yokes and change it all out. [emoji15] that would not be fun.

So does or does not work as trail spare? Assuming you don't want to do some crazy trail repair. I was thinking you could just swap it out.

zimm

Caught the Bug
So does or does not work as trail spare? Assuming you don't want to do some crazy trail repair. I was thinking you could just swap it out.

Nope. You'd need a 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" socket, 5/16" small wrench, impact driver, screw driver, and big ass hammer to go back to stock.

Mtb275

You could do it, but it is not an easy swap out. As mentioned, you would need the tools, which in my opinion you should carry or at least someone in your group.

Top Bottom