What is causing this screeching sound?

JeepNfish20

I have a 2 door Jk on a 3 inch lift and 35 inch mud terrains. I hit a huge pot hole a few weeks ago and messed up my alignment. I got an alignment done since then but my jeep was still driving like crap, I took it to a local off road shop that quickly took a look at it and said most likely I have a bad ball joint. So I just got the Synergy Mfg heavy duty ball joint set and had a friend install them yesterday. I did not get the re alignment done yet since replacing the new ball joints yesterday but now I am getting a loud screeching/grinding sound from the driver side (the side I hit the pot hole on) mostly when I turn driver side and sometimes just driving straight. I also get some vibration on that same side I can feel in the tire and steering wheel. Any ideas what could be causing the grinding sound and vibration ?
Thanks everyone

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2 door Jk on a 3 inch lift and 35 inch mud terrains. I hit a huge pot hole a few weeks ago and messed up my alignment. I got an alignment done since then but my jeep was still driving like crap, I took it to a local off road shop that quickly took a look at it and said most likely I have a bad ball joint. So I just got the Synergy Mfg heavy duty ball joint set and had a friend install them yesterday. I did not get the re alignment done yet since replacing the new ball joints yesterday but now I am getting a loud screeching/grinding sound from the driver side (the side I hit the pot hole on) mostly when I turn driver side and sometimes just driving straight. I also get some vibration on that same side I can feel in the tire and steering wheel. Any ideas what could be causing the grinding sound and vibration ?
Thanks everyone

First check that lug nuts are tight. Then check that caliper bolts are all tight since he would have had all that apart. Check that the 3 small axle to knuckle bolts are tight. And check that the large 35/36mm nut is tight in the center of the hub. Also make sure backing plate isn't hitting the rotor.

As far as alignment, no adjustment can be done regarding camber, so don't worry about that. Check your toe with a measuring tape just to make sure it's good.

JeepNfish20

The off road shop measured the toe and said that was good. Ill have to check out the other stuff then. Im getting the re alignment done this week which the place said they would do for free since they messed up doing it with the bad ball joints already.
First check that lug nuts are tight. Then check that caliper bolts are all tight since he would have had all that apart. Check that the 3 small axle to knuckle bolts are tight. And check that the large 35/36mm nut is tight in the center of the hub. Also make sure backing plate isn't hitting the rotor.

As far as alignment, no adjustment can be done regarding camber, so don't worry about that. Check your toe with a measuring tape just to make sure it's good.

JeepNfish20

My buddy also torqued everything to the correct specs so that should all be tight
The off road shop measured the toe and said that was good. Ill have to check out the other stuff then. Im getting the re alignment done this week which the place said they would do for free since they messed up doing it with the bad ball joints already.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Just just had that problem but the alignment fixed my problem. Make sure you check your tie rod and track bar bolts. Make sure they aren't Loose. Are you getting a grinding noise when you brake? It could also be your abs sensor is bad or not getting a good connection.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

Sounds like a wheel bearing, unit bearing going bad. Jack up the front that you suspect the noice use a pry bar or something under the tire and pry up on tire and feel for movement. If you feel some get another person to help pry up on wheel while you check to see where the play is coming from

JeepNfish20

It makes the sound just coasting and breaking, sometimes there wont be any sound ubtill I tap the breaks
Just just had that problem but the alignment fixed my problem. Make sure you check your tie rod and track bar bolts. Make sure they aren't Loose. Are you getting a grinding noise when you brake? It could also be your abs sensor is bad or not getting a good connection.

WJCO

Meme King
It makes the sound just coasting and breaking, sometimes there wont be any sound ubtill I tap the breaks

I would check dust shields and brake hardware clips, but that still doesn't explain the vibration. I would jack up that corner and make sure there is no play in that wheel bearing.

Top Bottom