Swing Out Spare Tire Holder Thoughts

friskyspatula

So I am new to Jeeps, with the Renegade being my first, but I have a decent of amount of experience with building vehicles, and I had a thought.

My 2016 Sport doesn't have a spare, and I have always liked the looks of a rear mount spare.

No my ideas is to adapt (or custom build) a swing out spare bracket onto a Trailhawk rear bumper reinforcer. Using the Trailhawk because it has a stronger attachment system. I would mount the brackets through the little "grills" in the rear bumper cover.

Is this completely insane?

Thanks for your input!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me and if you have hitch receiver, I might consider something like this.

20161106100735-5ea2b994-me.jpg

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?40851-2016-SEMA-Wilco-Off-Road-Hitchgate-Solo-Tire-Carrier

I saw it at SEMA and it looks like it could get the job done.

WJCO

Meme King
I built one off of my existing hitch. It was about 200 bucks in parts but a ton of labor hours. A lot of measuring to make sure clearances were met and there were no rattles/vibrations.

0123171624.jpg

0123171624a.jpg

0123171625.jpg

friskyspatula

Thanks for both of the replies so far. I have seen these hitch mounts, but my Sport doesn't have a hitch. My thought was to use a standard take off Trailhawk bumper reinforcing bar as it has a better mounting system. Plus they are discarded when someone puts on the hitch mount.

My other concern with a hitch mount is the twistin stress from a single central mounting point. Using something built off the bumper bar would allow for two mounting points, one on each end.

But, I might be over thinking this.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for both of the replies so far. I have seen these hitch mounts, but my Sport doesn't have a hitch. My thought was to use a standard take off Trailhawk bumper reinforcing bar as it has a better mounting system. Plus they are discarded when someone puts on the hitch mount.

My other concern with a hitch mount is the twistin stress from a single central mounting point. Using something built off the bumper bar would allow for two mounting points, one on each end.

But, I might be over thinking this.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know what you're saying, but when closed, all the weight is on the center area (hitch). I gussetted mine pretty well. No problems so far. Regardless, if you do build it, here's a company that sells builder parts. I bought my spindle from them, and it may give you some ideas. https://atozfabrication.com/builder-parts

ChefGrizzly

Wondering if you went with the tire hitch?

Hello i also just got a jeep Renegade couple month ago. I don't like it how there is not a spare tire. So i was wondering if you were able to try and put a spare tire on the back and how did you go about it.

friskyspatula

Hello i also just got a jeep Renegade couple month ago. I don't like it how there is not a spare tire. So i was wondering if you were able to try and put a spare tire on the back and how did you go about it.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I haven't done anything on this yet, but still very interested. I am working with my local dealership on getting a takeoff bumper support bar so I can build off of that instead of disassembling mine.

Be sure that when I put it together I will be updating on wayalife.

Top Bottom